Pebble smartwatch gets $50 price cut, background tracking for fitness & sleep

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Do you find that the Pebble occasionally, and randomly, loses its LE connection with the iPhone and stops providing alerts for anything other than calls? That's really the only thing I would like to see fixed, but it has persisted (at least for me) across multiple firmware and software upgrades.

Yes, I get that at times too, but usually after being up for multi-day's or after a patch. Then close and restart works. Like anything tech, you do have to occasionally turn off the watch, and close the program. Then restart them.

my macs run for multiple days/weeks/months without requiring restarts. 

• Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

I wouldn't call that snark, which I think of as abrasive and unpleasant.  What Pebble said was a bit teasing of some of Apple's more self-indulgent habits, but it was't hostile or snide.  I'm sure Pebble aren't alone even amongst Apple fans if they're rolling their eyes a little when Jony Ive starts talking about how profound and beautifully simple Apple's latest ground-up rethink of how to chamfer an edge is.  You can think Apple are occasionally a bit silly and pompous while still liking the company and respecting their products.

if you think that stuff is pompous or silly, id offer that its all in your head. i watch it and see professionals engaged in their profession and passionate about the work they do. like me.

• Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

I love my Pebble. I look forward visiting an Apple store to inspect an Apple Watch prior to buying one.

I seriously hope it's as water-resistant as my Pebble - if so, then I'll bid a fond farewell to my Kickstarter timepiece.

same here, altouhj i did not kickstart it - but steel is excellent iPhone companion, waterproof, rugged, long battery.

• Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

who are you talking to? it kinda makes a difference.

also, according watch geeks, the steel aint that great looking.

no its no great looking but its not horrible either.

it does just work nicely, long battery life, waterproof to 5ATM, strong glass, its very rugged, quite light.

I too hope that apple watch beats it - then i can give this to one of my kids who has galaxy s4 ( i know i offered him iPhone 5, but he was rebellious)

• Reply 25 of 33
    Looks cheap. Is cheap. I'd rather wear a real watch than a Pebble watch.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    rogifan wrote: »
    Pebble also took a swipe at Jony Ive telling him to "breathe" and that its "just a watch". Seems to me they're just dissing their own product in the process.

See, and therein lies the problem all of Apple's compeiitors had... they could not see that a watch is so much more then a time-piece. It's not called a personal device for nothing.

Yes, Samsung, Motorola, et all could capture the basic shape of what a watch looks like, but not what people buy watches for... if you lack taste and a sense of style then what you make will fail and you haven't even a clue what is wrong...
  • Reply 27 of 33
    I noticed pebble just launched a Facebook ad campaign calling Apple watch an "overpriced trophy watch" kinda sad, not like these companies didn't get 1-2 years' worth of leaks and rumors to prepare.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I agree with Mack regrading capturing what makes a "personal device". At the same time I agree with Crowley regarding the "chamfered edges". I mean even Frederighi made some fun of this during the iOS introduction (campfire with Jony's chamfered edge spoons) and the audience responded with quite an agreeing laughter. Personally, I feel these edges are the most disturbing design feature of the iphone5. On the whole I thonk apple still captures the essence of things and I temeber how unadorned the first jony-against-white-background videos. Now they sound artificial and too much. And pebble is right: in the end it is a watch. However, Apple is pushing hard to have its product recognised also as a serious fashion device. Which in case of the watch I am not sure if this will work out over time. It's a tough one to crack. I wish when it gets released that it actually is a good product with not too many compromises regarding thickness and battery life. Even then, while I like many features of the upcoming watch I don't see myself replacing it with my regular time piece. Especially during business meetings. So that tells me there is still some slightly embarrassing geeky and non serious touch to it. Maybe that will change once I have seen it in person. Overall, I find myself choosing apple products because I am still convinced about the features, design and overall user experience. Even though I have to admit that I find myself increasingly in situations where I find something irritating. Be it GarageBand which is to me totally not user friendly in an obvious way, same with not having iphone 6 in 4 inch as option, missing features in Pages and their continued way of charging too much for memory upgrades (that goes back long way).
  • Reply 29 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jerry602 wrote: »
    I noticed pebble just launched a Facebook ad campaign calling Apple watch an "overpriced trophy watch" kinda sad, not like these companies didn't get 1-2 years' worth of leaks and rumors to prepare.

aren't they kinda biting the hand that feeds them?

if I'm correct didn't Apple give them iPhone access and let them release an app store within the App Store?

Apple should threaten to remove their app store just to shake them up.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If companies are trying to make apple more irrelevant the best thing they could do is stop talking about Apple! I was following Apple's keynote on Twitter and my feed was full of people saying they didn't want an A-Watch but after Jony Ive's 10 minute video they're drooling over it and now want one. LOTS of comments on his voice, some even joking that they'd enjoy Ive reading names out of the phone book to them. Competitors can mock Ive all they want. But those videos he does work. If they didn't Apple would have stopped doing them by now.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I don't think Pebble are trying to make Apple irrelevant. They're just playing the role of the feisty, playful rival.

Quote:

and its in rather poor taste. 

Howso? Does Jony have difficulty breathing?

Quote:

if you think that stuff is pompous or silly, id offer that its all in your head. i watch it and see professionals engaged in their profession and passionate about the work they do. like me.

Do you make cookie cutter white room videos for each of your products, where you talk with some engagement and passion about how amazing doing your job is?

Engagement and passion are fine, great even.  Humblebragging about it in lengthy, effusive videos that you put up on your website is edging towards, and occasionally over, the line of pompous and silly.

• Reply 31 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    crowley wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of that, but I don't think Pebble are trying to make Apple irrelevant. They're just playing the role of the feisty, playful rival.
    playful rival? I doubt Apple (or any of the Android wear competitors for that matter) really consider Pebble a rival. And if Pebble is cutting prices their sales can't be that great right now.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    The price reduction was inevitable but I suspect they'll still make pretty good money even when the plastic model is down to $49.99. After about a year I still get 4-5 days out of the battery (was 5-6 days when new) which is excellent but there are a couple of issues: the silly magnet charging cable simply does not hold properly and I must use a rubber band to hold it in place while charging. I also need a charging bar with a LED that tells me it's actually charging. It is that finicky. Also, if the watch is separated from the iPhone by more than 30 feet or so you may have to reset the bluetooth connection from scratch, i.e., the iPhone has to "forget" the device, then re-pair etc. It's a PITA.

On the other hand I appreciate being warned that I left my phone somewhere in the house when I go to work in the morning and when I step back in to look for the phone I can make it buzz from the watch even if it's in silent more. These are really neat features I use regularly.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

playful rival? I doubt Apple (or any of the Android wear competitors for that matter) really consider Pebble a rival. And if Pebble is cutting prices their sales can't be that great right now.

Underdog would have been a better word choice than rival.  But it doesn't detract from the point that Pebble's aim with this campaign is certainly not to try and make Apple irrelevant.  They're not that stupid.  No one is that stupid.

Apple cuts prices too from time to time; it's strategy, and doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with sales.