PopKey GIF keyboard for iOS 8 debuts, Tweetbot adds support for iPhone 6 & interactive notifications

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Users looking to get the most out of their newly updated iOS 8 device can download a pair of apps that were made available Wednesday: the PopKey keyboard for convenient access to animated GIF images, and Tweetbot with support for the larger iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus displays as well as interactive notifications.

PopKey GIF keyboard debuts

The PopKey animated GIF keyboard is a free download for iOS 8 devices. Like other third-party keyboards, it can be accessed systemwide, allowing users to easily send animated GIFs via text message, email and more.

If users are willing to create an account and refer a friend, they can even upload their own GIFs to be used with the keyboard. Otherwise, popular animations are listed and sorted by category and feature a "PopKey.co" watermark.

Users can also favorite their most-used GIFs, and a list of recently sent files is also available. Once a GIF is selected, it is downloaded and then copied, and a user can paste it into the appropriate field.

PopKey requires iOS 8 and supports the iPhone 4S and higher. Alternatively, users can also try out the iOS 8 Riffsy GIF Keyboard, which is also free.

Tweetbot 3 gets major update

Popular Twitter client Tweetbot 3 received a major update on Wednesday, taking advantage of a number of features made available through iOS 8. In addition to offering interactive notifications, Tweetbot 3.5 also sports 1Password support for secure password storage.

Tweetbot's 3.5 update also adds Share Sheets support, allowing users to quickly plug in quick links to the app through iOS 8's extensions feature.

The updated Twitter client is also optimized for both the 4.7-inch display of the iPhone 6, and the 5.5-inch screen found on the iPhone 6 Plus. Developer Tapbots said the update, which requires iOS 8.0 or later, also features various bug fixes.

Tweetbot 3 is a $4.99 download on the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    iOS just started supporting 3rd party keyboards and already kicking androids a**.

Since 3rd party integration is more closed(less spam/malware) I see better produced apps arriving to iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Lord, spare me from animated gif's .....
  • Reply 3 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Lord, spare me from animated gif's .....

That’s an APNG for those of you not on Safari 8.

EDIT: Thanks, Huddler. It worked before.

• Reply 4 of 9
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

iOS just started supporting 3rd party keyboards and already kicking androids a**.

Similar stuff has been available in the Google Play store for awhile. You really should get out more.

-kpluck

• Reply 5 of 9
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    kpluck wrote: »
    Similar stuff has been available in the Google Play store for awhile. You really should get out more.

-kpluck

Is it a third party keyboard downloaded from Google Play that adds your name to the end of your posts when it's already displayed clearly on the left?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    That’s an APNG for those of you not on Safari 8.

EDIT: Thanks, Huddler. It worked before.

Huddler seems to be experiencing images issues recently...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    kpluck wrote: »

-kpluck

No thank You. Google already reads my emails. I'll stick to superior iOS features.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    cali wrote: »
    No thank You. Google already reads my emails. I'll stick to superior iOS features.

So how do these App developers make money out of their keyboard Apps if they are free on the App Store with no in-app purchases for extra content? It's not like they can make the money out of advertising when you don't need to load the App in order to use the keyboard. I don't really feel the need to have an animated GIF keyboard on my phone but if I did I would want to know what the developer is getting out of me installing their free app.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

A matter of taste perhaps, but I didn't like this keyboard, deleted it after a few minutes.