Marc Newson confirms only working at Apple part time on secret projects

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
In an interview on Wednesday, Superstar designer and new Apple hire Marc Newson confirmed his role at the tech giant is strictly part time, saying that he will continue to lead his own company out of the UK while working on special projects in Cupertino.

IveApple SVP of Design Jony Ive (right) discusses design with fellow design superstar and (RED) auction collaborator Marc Newson.

Speaking with Dezeen, Newson commented that his job at Apple is limited in scope, confirming reports from September that said he is to remain based in the UK and would fly out to California when needed.

While the interview focused on Newson's new at-home draft beer machine called "The Sub," made in collaboration with Heineken and Krups, the designer touched on working at Apple and offered his thoughts on Apple Watch. Expectedly, Newson declined to reveal what, exactly, he is working on with fellow design superstar and personal friend Jony Ive.

When asked whether he had a hand in designing the Apple Watch, Newson again demurred, saying, "Apparently I can't." An unnamed public relations officer seemingly serving as his handler said, "Sorry we can't answer that, sorry." It is unclear whether the PR representative worked for Apple or Newson.

The designer was more open about the general topic of watch design, an area in which he made significant contributions with high-end concepts for Jaeger-LeCoulture, as well as starting his own Swiss watch company called Ikepod. Newson left Ikepod in 2012.

"There will always be a place for mechanical watches. Apart from telling the time - which is all they do - they're about something completely different," Newson said. "You know, I think that the mechanical watch industry will continue to exist in much the same way as it does right now. To be honest I'm not really intimately aware of what's happening with the world of mechanical watches right now."

Newson pointed out that mechanical watch sales have steadily increased recently and predicted that trend will continue for the foreseeable future.

Most recently, Newson and Ive were on location in Paris, France to show off the Apple Watch at Apple's one-day pop-up showcase at popular boutique Colette. The public display coincided with the influential Paris Fashion Week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    [quote]Marc Newson confirms only working at Apple part time on unknown project[/quote]

so even he doesn't know what he's working on?
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Let's hope any involvent from Newson doesn't lead to the third Newton.

The second one is due early next year.
  • Reply 3 of 38

Love that photo:

Ive: "Marc, I think that turd is taking our photo with a Samsung phone!"

• Reply 4 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This headline is wrong. Newson never said he was only working on one project. Most likely it's justthe assistance he's providing doesn't require him to be a full-time employee. Probably similar to Jimmy & Dre.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Let's hope any involvent from Newson doesn't lead to the third Newton.

The second one is due early next year.

Sure. At the very least the Newton is quite good, especially the 2x00 series(and the amazing eMate!), something that the Android watches can never aspire to.

Assuming anyone has even purchased an Android "smart"watch.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Sure. At the very least the Newton is quite good, especially the 2x00 series(and the amazing eMate!), something that the Android watches can never aspire to.

Assuming anyone has even purchased an Android "smart"watch.

I personally would spend $2,000 on a mechanical watch any day before a digital watch with a very short shelf life. Newson is spot on about the lure of a mechanical watch.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    I personally would spend $2,000 on a mechanical watch any day before a digital watch with a very short shelf life. Newson is spot on about the lure of a mechanical watch.

Okay, help me out. I am left-handed, and wear my father's gold Rolex on my right wrist. Really would like an Apple Watch on my left wrist. Am I A) making a new fashion statement wearing two watches, or B) looking like a complete idiot? I will not stop wearing the Rolex that my father gave to me before he passed away, so if two watches looks stupid then no Apple Watch for me...
  • Reply 8 of 38

I don't disagree, but I would spend $349-$500 on a digital one.

No one has said that Rolex is in trouble. Its the $100-$1000 market that is in trouble.

I own a $100 Casio WaveCeptor that I've had for five years without an issue. It's being replaced by an Apple Watch next year. I'm probably not the only one.

Heck, a lot of higher end watch folks say they'll wear two watches: their mechanical on one wrist, and the Watch on the other. That sounds fine to me, kt makes more sense than carrying two smartphones.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

FanDroid’s brains are exploding over all this fashion stuff. Even Apple techies are experiencing high anxiety. Tech types don’t give a crap how something looks, only the spec sheet matters. It could be a cardboard box painted baby-shit yellow but as long as it had enough mHz, pixels, the right GPU, and an SD slot they couldn’t care less. This has got  to be a big strain on their psyches. That’s why they drive Hyundai cars and use $7 toasters from the Dollar General Store. It’s also why they walk into Apple stores to bend an iPhone 6 and snicker. And Apple cries all the way to the bank over it too, worrying how the tech Illuminati will respond. 

• Reply 10 of 38
    "Android" smart watch = non sequitur
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Personally, I think the stainless steel with the Milanese Loop looks best, followed by the space black stainless with the link bracelet. Not sure how much those will cost, I suspect a lot more than $349. But I'll put up with a Sport model if need be.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    FanDroid’s brains are exploding over all this fashion stuff. Even Apple techies are experiencing high anxiety. Tech types don’t give a crap how something looks, only the spec sheet matters. It could be a cardboard box painted baby-shit yellow but as long as it had enough mHz, pixels, the right GPU, and an SD slot they couldn’t care less. This has got  to be a big strain on their psyches. That’s why they drive Hyundai cars and use $7 toasters from the Dollar General Store. It’s also why they walk into Apple stores to bend an iPhone 6 and snicker. And Apple cries all the way to the bank over it too, worrying how the tech Illuminati will respond. 
    But Steve Jobs wouldn't have... /s
  • Reply 13 of 38
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

That’s why they drive Hyundai cars and use $7 toasters from the Dollar General Store. 

I drive a Hyundai and use a $300 KitchenAid toaster. What does that say about me?

• Reply 14 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    ronmg wrote: »
    Okay, help me out. I am left-handed, and wear my father's gold Rolex on my right wrist. Really would like an Apple Watch on my left wrist. Am I A) making a new fashion statement wearing two watches, or B) looking like a complete idiot? I will not stop wearing the Rolex that my father gave to me before he passed away, so if two watches looks stupid then no Apple Watch for me...

Now this is a first world problem :-)
  • Reply 15 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

I drive a Hyundai and use a $300 KitchenAid toaster. What does that say about me?

Cognitive dissonance disorder?

• Reply 16 of 38
    ronmg wrote: »

B.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    lmao ikrupp
  • Reply 18 of 38
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/182629/marc-newson-confirms-only-working-at-apple-part-time-on-secret-projects#post_2611435 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]
    lkrupp wrote: »
    That’s why they drive Hyundai cars and use $7 toasters from the Dollar General Store. 

That you've been ripped off.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Hahahahaha~!  So true...  In all seriousness, Apple is masterfully marketing this device to the FASHION MARKET and NOT the tech market.  They are not looking at creating a market but super serving a well oiled niche market that is extremely lucrative.  Of course they will get converters but thats for dessert...   

The chief reason that the others digital watches have failed to "stick".  I read that only 3,000,000 watches by all involved have been sold to date.. Ouch!  Problem.. Expecting people who drool for droids to suddenly foam at the mouth over a watch isn't happening.  Owning a smartphone vs. wearing a watch are two completely different animals...

• Reply 20 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gijoeinla wrote: »

Hahahahaha~!  So true...  In all seriousness, Apple is masterfully marketing this device to the FASHION MARKET and NOT the tech market.  They are not looking at creating a market but super serving a well oiled niche market that is extremely lucrative.  Of course they will get converters but thats for dessert...   

The chief reason that the others digital watches have failed to "stick".  I read that only 3,000,000 watches by all involved have been sold to date.. Ouch!  Problem.. Expecting people who drool for droids to suddenly foam at the mouth over a watch isn't happening.  Owning a smartphone vs. wearing a watch are two completely different animals...

Whether you are for or against what Apple is doing here the one thing the anti-Apple crowd can't deny is that Apple is going a completely different direction than any other "smartwatch" attempted at this point.