Reservations for Apple's iPhone 6, 6 Plus in China reportedly hit 2 million in first 6 hours

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

22 Sep 2014

AppleInsider Headline - Apple announces record sales of 10 million iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus units in first 3 days

GTR: And without China. What would that number have been with that tiny little country included…

Maestro64 - China is include, it is call black market…

Herbapou - It would had been the same... They soldout...

It is odd you are quoting (I think quoting) me here. Not sure what your point is, but the black market i6 in china prior to these announcement is insignificant, what we talking a few thousand black market phone out of 10M. Anyway I would take this all with a grain of salt at this point, These are not Apple numbers, Not to say Apple is not going to do well, I think they will, I believe someone is trying to put out some good news for Apple considering and the bad press about why is apple missing out on china.

• Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macman1984 View Post

Your price comparisons are disingenuous. China has a 17% VAT. You have to remove that tax if you are going to compare the Chinese price to the US price since the US price also does not include tax. Taking out the 17% VAT, the price of the iPhone 6 with 16 GB is $750. So it's only a $100 premium.

The question is, of course, why it should be $100 more? It's made in China. There are virtually no transportation costs. I have often wondered why this should be (especially since it's a global phenomenon: the prices of iPhones are about $100 more expensive over the US price in virtually every country on the planet).

Obviously, in other countries, there are more taxes and fees in addition to the Value Added Tax.  

For example, there are additional taxes for:

1. being a video playback device

2. being able to play MP3 music

3. being a camera

4. being a computer

etc. etc.

Other countries tack on fees and taxes to the iPhone to raise their tax revenue.

• Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Two million preorders from one country. A great start.

The first weekend sales in China alone may surpass sales in the US.

If added to the initial weekend sales of 10 million, we are looking at probably 16 to 20 million iPhones sold in the first weekend available.

That is a humongous amount. Wow.  Awe inspiring.  Go away Samsung.  Ha ha.

• Reply 24 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

only two million? Apple is doomed.????????

I am just like you, punch drunk from all the constant iHater and Punditry attacks proclaiming Apple dead and buried. It’s almost a Pavlovian response now when we read their nonsense. I am trying to wean myself away from paying any attention but it is very hard not to.

• Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

The additional cost of Apple goods made in China that are sold in China don't end up in Apple's wallet. They end up in local taxes, local transportation costs (which are ridiculously high by the way and not free by any stretch of the imagination), graft, corruption, and state run market siphoning. This applies to most if not all goods and is in no way unique to Apple products. If anything, Apple's good name and market presence allows those who tap into the lucrative money stream for trendy and high profile products to suck out even more cash, making Apple look bad even though they have nothing at all to do with the gouging. 

I have many colleagues in Asian countries and when they visit the US the first item on their personal travel agenda is visiting as many discount malls and shopping centers as possible to load up on luxury and high profile products, most of which are produced in Asia, for their return trip home. They are basically repatriating Asian produced products back to their country of origin at substantial discounts over what they would pay locally in their home country. They arrive with shopping lists from all their friends and relatives and an empty suitcase or two. Of course there is always the risk of getting tapped for duties on their return trip so they have to keep the quantities within reasonable levels as not to attract undue attention.

There you go.  That's right.  Costs are higher in China even if the goods were manufactured there.

• Reply 26 of 35
    they're not worried about bendgate?
  • Reply 27 of 35
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    The first weekend sales in China alone may surpass sales in the US.

If added to the initial weekend sales of 10 million, we are looking at probably 16 to 20 million iPhones sold in the first weekend available.

That is a humongous amount. Wow.  Awe inspiring.  Go away Samsung.  Ha ha.

I am pretty sure the size and design of the iPhone 6 is the result of the Chinese market. It's big enough to "wag the dog."
  • Reply 28 of 35
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macman1984 View Post

That may be true.  But it is particularly strange as the iPhone is made in China!  I can understand that that this happens in other countries (with middlemen and the like), but why is China being "protectionist" against itself?  Do you know how many Chinese are employed by Apple?  This is hardly a "foreign" product (yes, it's designed in California- but it is, for the most part, manufactured and assembled in China- it's more Chinese than anything else).  If I were Apple, I would do my best to make it the same (pre-tax) price all over the world. That may not be possible because of distribution costs (middlemen, cost of translating documentation, cost of meeting each country's regulations, etc.).  But I would try...

Only a small part of the cost of the Iphone actually goes to Chinese workers or owners. Maybe 15-20% if I'm generous (mostly assembly), everyting else goes to Apple or other people who build the components TSMC, LG, TI, SAMSUNG, FOXCONN, etc... none of these are chinese companies. 

So, that tells you why China would also want its cut in import taxes. It gets part of the money that otherwise would stay there.

• Reply 29 of 35

Bendgate is like Bigfoot: it's not about whether a video exists showing it, it's whether you are gullible enough to believe it is real.

In any case, Fandroids and YouTube channels are shockingly quiet when it comes to how easy it is to bend the HTC One.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yoganclimber View Post

No they don't, Mr. 3 Posts.

• Reply 31 of 35
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yoganclimber View Post

Apple should only be worried about the perception fostered all the way down to every local tv news broadcast (in my local Chicago and nationwide). When I showed off my iPhone6 literally 98% of the people (many Mac and/or iPhone users) asked if it bent easily. Jeez! When I explained that the bent phone was 'abused' and that there were only 9 known cases of bending I got the universal look of "ahh, figures... overblown news reports."

Just looked it up... as of a couple of years ago: Journalist trustworthiness at 7%. This just adds to it.

Perhaps Apple's internal ad agency (or interested Friends-of-Apple) could create a couple of funny-yet-poignant pro-Apple web anti-bendy commercials. Anyone?

• Reply 32 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    It is odd you are quoting (I think quoting) me here. Not sure what your point is, but the black market i6 in china prior to these announcement is insignificant, what we talking a few thousand black market phone out of 10M. Anyway I would take this all with a grain of salt at this point, These are not Apple numbers, Not to say Apple is not going to do well, I think they will, I believe someone is trying to put out some good news for Apple considering and the bad press about why is apple missing out on china.

I think the point he was trying to make is you were saying China was included in launch sales claiming the black market accounted for China.

Now that 2M+ is being reported you're questioning the numbers.

Did you really expect China to sell 0 iPhone 6's on launch day because they all got one on the black market?
  • Reply 33 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    h2p wrote: »
    Perhaps Apple's internal ad agency (or interested Friends-of-Apple) could create a couple of funny-yet-poignant pro-Apple web anti-bendy commercials. Anyone?

I think iPhone 6 owners should upload videos of themselves attempting to bend their iPhone's and create a string of videos like this.
  • Reply 34 of 35

I was just kidding... I went to the store to try to bend it because I didn't want to try it on mine.  I'm pretty sure I can bend it, and the ipads and laptops, but it's not a problem for me.  Someone was watching me and tried it too and we just laughed.

• Reply 35 of 35
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

But but but BENDGATE!! No one would buy iPhones anymore!