Apple's next-gen iOS Remote app solution could boast full Apple TV GUIs, interactive content

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What specifically is AppleTV missing that you have on Roku? Legitimately curious.

That's a bit harsh, its better than anything else out there.

But the Remote App is indeed long overdue for an overhaul and dramatic improvement. It is a bit slow and clunky. The idea of beaming the AppleTV UI directly to the iPad/iPhone and letting you manipulate the UI from there is brilliant, and will make it far more enjoyable.

I think this is in part the "cracking it" that Steve referred to years ago....the very idea of the TV's actual UI beaming itself to your handheld in much more manipulative and interactive way, result in content played back on the screen (likely combined with some dual screen modes/features as well) would be brilliant.

This is also 10,000x better than talking to your TV.

No matter what they do, they desperately NEED to figure out Global Search on AppleTV. I should be able to type in the name of a movie or tv show and get a list of search results with every onboard App that has it.

I think I was unclear.  I meant the iOS remote app sucks.  It's hard to use and laggy after you "wake up" your phone.  The hardware remote is fine.  Funny enough, I never considered programming my regular IR remote to work with the Apple TV (actually I see you can program the Apple TV itself to work with the remote).  I'm going to do that today.