Leonardo DiCaprio no longer in talks to play Steve Jobs in Sony-backed biopic

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2014
Leonardo DiCaprio, who was previously in talks to play the lead role in director Danny Boyle's upcoming Steve Jobs biopic, has reportedly turned down the offer and will instead take an extended hiatus from acting.

Steve Jobs


According to a Thursday report from The Hollywood Reporter, DiCaprio is no longer tied to the forthcoming film focusing on Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, the publication says DiCaprio was in talks to take on the role after filming another movie titled "The Revenant," but decided to ditch the Jobs biopic altogether. Instead of shooting two films back-to-back, he will take an extended break from acting after "The Revenant" wraps.

DiCaprio was first rumored to play Jobs in April, when Boyle reportedly approached him for the role. The pair previously worked together on "The Beach" in 2000.

For now, the lead spot is vacant, though Sony is reportedly looking to involve Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Bradley Cooper.

DiCaprio is the latest Hollywood big wig to pull out of the project and follows director David Fincher, who exited after demanding $10 million in up front payment and full control over marketing.

The only person confirmed to be on board is screenwriter Aaron Sorkin ("The Social Network"), who penned a screenplay based on Walter Isaacson's biography "Jobs."

If the as yet unnamed film goes into production and sees release, it will be the second attempt at a Jobs biopic since the tech guru died in 2011. The independent film "Jobs," starring Ashton Kutcher and Josh Gad, saw nationwide release in June, but failed to garner critical acclaim.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Bale could do Jobs brilliantly.

    And he could use the same knock knock joke for Steve as he did as Bruce Wayne:

    "Knock, knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Not your parents"
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Who cares.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,928member

    With each new role, DiCaprio has been playing increasingly vile characters, so I knew the Jobs gig wouldn't pan out. Leo is currently studying for the role of Eric Schmidt in the movie version of How Google Screws.

  • Reply 4 of 25
    It's all very well to make a film about Jobs, but there is one small flaw:

    The man was unique.

    For any actor to try and replicate him, they're on to a losing battle. What's more, we have hours and hours of footage of him from keynotes and interviews. You can see him today; he's really good at playing himself!

    It's a bit like The Lord of the Rings.

    I read the book as a boy and loved it. I enjoyed the Jackson films, too, but I don't want to see them again, because they can't match the vision I've created from reading the book; rather, they sully it.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post



    It's all very well to make a film about Jobs, but there is one small flaw:



    The man was unique.



    For any actor to try and replicate him, they're on to a losing battle. What's more, we have hours and hours of footage of him from keynotes and interviews. You can see him today; he's really good at playing himself!



    It's a bit like The Lord of the Rings.



    I read the book as a boy and loved it. I enjoyed the Jackson films, too, but I don't want to see them again, because they can't match the vision I've created from reading the book; rather, they sully it.

     

    My only worry about a Steve Jobs film would be it getting 'Sculley-ed'.

     

  • Reply 6 of 25
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

    The "Jobs" with Ashton Kutcher was horrible. Hopefully this one will be lot better, Aaron Sorkin did great at Social Network. Pity DiCaprio is out, I just love him so much :/

  • Reply 7 of 25
    Good thing DiCaprio is out; he would never convince me as Jobs. And he's an overrated actor, anyway.

    The only one out of that bunch that I could see would really be Christian Bale. He's one of those rare actors who gets mentally and physically deep into character, and has the focused intensity that it will take to pull off Jobs-as-a-performance.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

    It'll be three years Sunday...

    just hard to believe...

  • Reply 9 of 25
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

    Robert Zemeckis should do it in 3D with performance capture.

  • Reply 10 of 25
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,677member
    Danny Boyle? Now I'm not so sure.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Isaacson's biography was rushed and poorly written and incomplete. Actually his biography of Einstein was flat also. In both cases he listed the facts but failed to breathe life into the characters.
  • Reply 12 of 25

    There will come a time when the same technology that allowed Andy Serkis to do roles like Gollum and the ape, Caesar, will be applied to reproducing real people. Done right, actors won't be chosen because of their looks, but by how well they perform the part. CGI will take care of the rest, and a lot of talented make-up people will be looking for other work.

  • Reply 13 of 25
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Bradley Cooper would also be a good choice for the part. That's of course if this movie actually ever gets made!
  • Reply 14 of 25
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

    He would be a very good Steve Jobs. Very good actor indeed.

  • Reply 15 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zapf Brannigan View Post



    Good thing DiCaprio is out; he would never convince me as Jobs. And he's an overrated actor, anyway.



    The only one out of that bunch that I could see would really be Christian Bale. He's one of those rare actors who gets mentally and physically deep into character, and has the focused intensity that it will take to pull off Jobs-as-a-performance.



    So does DiCaprio....the only problem is, DiCaprio does not have much range. Even some of his best performances, you see mostly the same guy behind the character.

     

    Can't argue that he wasn't damn good in the Departed, or Django Unchained.

  • Reply 16 of 25
    Isaacson's biography was rushed and poorly written and incomplete. Actually his biography of Einstein was flat also. In both cases he listed the facts but failed to breathe life into the characters.

    Not to mention most people who knew Jobs said it was far too harsh on him.

    DiCaprio must have figured this wouldn't get him the Oscar he covets, so he ditched it.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    There will come a time when the same technology that allowed Andy Serkis to do roles like Gollum and the ape, Caesar, will be applied to reproducing real people. Done right, actors won't be chosen because of their looks, but by how well they perform the part. CGI will take care of the rest, and a lot of talented make-up people will be looking for other work.

    Already been done (to a degree) in 'Benjamin Button.'
  • Reply 18 of 25

    Don't forget "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" and other early work.  He does have range, but hasn't chosen parts that put it all out there recently.  Good movies anyway.

  • Reply 19 of 25
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,738member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by helia View Post

     

    The "Jobs" with Ashton Kutcher was horrible. Hopefully this one will be lot better, Aaron Sorkin did great at Social Network. Pity DiCaprio is out, I just love him so much :/


     

    I wouldn't say it was "horrible."  I think Kutcher did a really nice job, actually.  He worked hard at Job's mannerisms and really tried to get "inside" Jobs' head.  The problem with the movie, IMO, is that it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a Jobs biopic or the story of Apple.  Having been made in 2013, it started with the introduction of the iPod...in 2001.  What?  Then it jumped around from Jobs and his life, to many of the Apple milestones and events we Apple fans already know.  It glossed over certain things and spent too much time on others.  For example, they went from selling the Apple I out of his garage to Apple being in it's $100 Million HQ for several years.  Just like that!  Then it was the Sculley story, then Mac team, and what have you.  Then we'd jump back to some personal thing in Steve world.  I really blame it on the writing and direction much more than Kutcher.  

  • Reply 20 of 25
    This part calls for Robert Downey Jr.
Sign In or Register to comment.