Adobe revamps creative app suite for Apple's iOS, adds new video editing and drawing apps

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Graphics software giant Adobe on Monday overhauled nearly every one of its existing iOS app offerings, and added a number of new options including Premiere Clip --?a new mobile video editing app -- that tie into the company's Creative Cloud platform.

Adobe Premiere Clip
Adobe Premiere Clip


Premiere Clip represents Adobe's first entrance into iOS-based video editing, and can be used both independently and as a companion for the Premiere desktop app. Adobe says that projects begun on the drag-and-drop mobile interface will automatically be synchronized via Creative Cloud back to Premiere Pro on the desktop.

Aimed at artists, Brush CCallows for the creation of custom Sketch, Photoshop, and Illustrator brushes on the fly. Users can draw brushes on-screen, or use their device's camera to capture designs sketched on paper.

Like Brush CC, Shape CC is designed for on-the-go creation of design elements and can be used to capture hand-drawn sketches or to create new sketches from scratch. Shapes --?and brushes --?are stored in Creative Cloud and made available to any other Creative Cloud app.

Adobe Brush CC
Adobe Brush CC


Alongside the new apps, many of Adobe's existing apps were overhauled with enhanced Creative Cloud support that is intended to more tightly integrate Adobe's desktop and mobile offerings. Among those receiving updates Monday were Photoshop Sketch, Photoshop Mix, Lightroom, Color CC --?formerly Kuler --?and Illustrator Line.

While all of the apps are free, users without a Creative Cloud subscription will find limited functionality. The service is available in a number of tiers, from the $9.99-per-month Photography option that grants access to Photoshop alongside desktop and mobile versions of Lightroom to a $49.99-per-month Complete choice that gives access to nearly every app that Adobe makes.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,098member
    I will never, ever buy into their idiotic rentware cloud model. Adobe has lost me as a customer until they again offer a flat purchase option that has no reliance on their servers for functionality.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ditto. for non pros, a version of Photoshop will last many, many years....we don't need the latest and greatest, so comparing monthly costs to upgrading each year is bunk.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Sorry, Adobe. I have to agree I will not rent your software. I always find other ways around my needs. You may have the commercial market in your pocket, but I wonder about the pro-am and the home based?
  • Reply 4 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,217moderator
    I will never, ever buy into their idiotic rentware cloud model. Adobe has lost me as a customer until they again offer a flat purchase option that has no reliance on their servers for functionality.

    The old model relied on their servers to authenticate too but you don't need to be online to use the apps with either model:

    http://creativeclouduser.com/qa-do-i-need-to-be-constantly-connected-to-the-internet-to-use-adobe-cc-applications/

    There's an annual prepay option too now.

    Why are you so worried about going offline, you've pretty much posted every day on the forum for the last 9 years. Are you worried that Uruguay might have spotty internet connectivity when you retire there with your Bitcoin retirement fund? Wait, you'll need to be online to spend your Bitcoins, oh noes.

    This is the free market model, they operate their company in a way that works best, people would complain (and have done) about the perpetual license too. Voting with your wallet is the right thing to do but you're up against millions who are supporting it so you'll have to hope you have millions on your side to get them change it.

    If it becomes a problem in future, they can offer a perpetual license overnight. Until there's a problem, they have no reason to change it.

    The idea of software being tied to the cloud is a bogus argument. How would you use OS X or iOS without the cloud? You can't get offline software from Apple any more. You can't get any software for iOS offline.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,098member
    Marvin wrote: »
    The old model relied on their servers to authenticate too but you don't need to be online to use the apps with either model:

    http://creativeclouduser.com/qa-do-i-need-to-be-constantly-connected-to-the-internet-to-use-adobe-cc-applications/

    There's an annual prepay option too now.

    Why are you so worried about going offline, you've pretty much posted every day on the forum for the last 9 years. Are you worried that Uruguay might have spotty internet connectivity when you retire there with your Bitcoin retirement fund? Wait, you'll need to be online to spend your Bitcoins, oh noes.

    This is the free market model, they operate their company in a way that works best, people would complain (and have done) about the perpetual license too. Voting with your wallet is the right thing to do but you're up against millions who are supporting it so you'll have to hope you have millions on your side to get them change it.

    If it becomes a problem in future, they can offer a perpetual license overnight. Until there's a problem, they have no reason to change it.

    The idea of software being tied to the cloud is a bogus argument. How would you use OS X or iOS without the cloud? You can't get offline software from Apple any more. You can't get any software for iOS offline.

    The short answer? Adobe is not Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    inklinginkling Posts: 731member
    The Russian scientist Ivan Pavlov (1849-1936) would have been delighted by this phenomena. Simply say the word "Adobe," and the anti-Creative Cloud dogs began to bark and howl.

    Creative Cloud isn't for under-employed guys in a basement with apps of dubious ownership. It's for professionals who earn enough in an hour or two to pay for that monthly subscription. For them, CC changes application updating for the better%u2014much, much better.

    * They get features as soon as they're developed. Adobe doesn't have to hold back the Really Big Stuff for the next major project update. CC-2014 added marvelous new fixed-layout features that, under the old system, might not have been released for months. For designers, that's money in the bank.

    * Professionals tend to focus on one or two apps for most of their work. But when a project requires dipping into another, it's there as part of the CC membership. No need to buy that extremely expensive package for apps that hardly ever get used. For one fee, users get everything.

    * CC frees Adobe up to add products that might be messy to release as per-app selling but work marvelously as part of a subscription.

    These iOS apps illustrate that. They let designers work on the go or sitting in a cafe with a client. The apps will get even better when Apple releases that larger iPad. I only wish Adobe would add a series of apps that mate an iPad with an adjacent desktop, giving users a versatile and flexible touch-screen way to interact with apps such as InDesign. For instance, when I'm indexing, there'd be an easy-to-use indexing screen on my iPad, one that's designed to be easier and quicker than mousing around on my Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    I will never join their rental scheme either, and I started in 1992 with Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc. The only Adobe software I use daily nowadays is Lightroom, which can still be purchased... thankfully!
  • Reply 8 of 32
    inkling wrote: »
    The Russian scientist Ivan Pavlov (1849-1936) would have been delighted by this phenomena. Simply say the word "Adobe," and the anti-Creative Cloud dogs began to bark and howl.

    Creative Cloud isn't for under-employed guys in a basement with apps of dubious ownership. It's for professionals who earn enough in an hour or two to pay for that monthly subscription. For them, CC changes application updating for the better%u2014much, much better.

    * They get features as soon as they're developed. Adobe doesn't have to hold back the Really Big Stuff for the next major project update. CC-2014 added marvelous new fixed-layout features that, under the old system, might not have been released for months. For designers, that's money in the bank.

    * Professionals tend to focus on one or two apps for most of their work. But when a project requires dipping into another, it's there as part of the CC membership. No need to buy that extremely expensive package for apps that hardly ever get used. For one fee, users get everything.

    * CC frees Adobe up to add products that might be messy to release as per-app selling but work marvelously as part of a subscription.

    These iOS apps illustrate that. They let designers work on the go or sitting in a cafe with a client. The apps will get even better when Apple releases that larger iPad. I only wish Adobe would add a series of apps that mate an iPad with an adjacent desktop, giving users a versatile and flexible touch-screen way to interact with apps such as InDesign. For instance, when I'm indexing, there'd be an easy-to-use indexing screen on my iPad, one that's designed to be easier and quicker than mousing around on my Mac.

    "Creative Cloud isn't for under-employed guys in a basement with apps of dubious ownership. It's for professionals who earn enough in an hour or two to pay for that monthly subscription."

    Shame on you for making such foolish assumptions.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I tried one of the Photoshop wannabe apps. Then I signed up for CC. Basically, for Photoshop there is no substitute. Plus, I'm paying less than I did for the bi-yearly upgrades. These little apps, for me, are all free. Maybe I'll try one or two of them at some point.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

    You can't get offline software from Apple any more.

     

    I’m actually waiting for someone to sue Apple for not having a “Send your app request and $2.99 shipping and handling to 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California 95014 and we will ship you a CD with the apps on it within 4-6 weeks” option on their website.

  • Reply 11 of 32
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    I’m actually waiting for someone to sue Apple for not having a “Send your app request and $2.99 shipping and handling to 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California 95014 and we will ship you a CD with the apps on it within 4-6 weeks” option on their website.


    They do sell a few boxed titles. Mostly third party but a few Apple and Filemaker products too, all offering free shipping.

  • Reply 12 of 32
    +++++++BREAKING NEWS++++++

    Adobe MAX Conference just starting their Day 1 Keynote.......... SERVERS AND LOGIN completely down after 3 minutes(!)

    https://max.adobe.com/sessions/max-online/

    So I guess streaming isn't so easy is it? Look at Adobe's sponsors:

    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/50252/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 13 of 32
    +++++++BREAKING NEWS++++++

    Adobe MAX Conference just starting their Day 1 Keynote.......... SERVERS AND LOGIN completely down after 3 minutes(!)

    https://max.adobe.com/sessions/max-online/

    So I guess streaming isn't so easy is it? Look at Adobe's sponsors:

    700

    LOL! NOW how much would you pay?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    OK... MAX online... however, food for the naysayers about cloud tech: showing off the New Library feature with PS and IL, dragged an asset to the library in PS and went to ILL to see it......... no SERVER CONNECTION to sync! From one local program to the next on the same machine? IDIOTIC!
  • Reply 15 of 32
    iPhone App almost crashed... was non-responsive for a few seconds... OOPS!!!! Super slow, due to network!
  • Reply 16 of 32
    iPhone App almost crashed... was non-responsive for a few seconds... OOPS!!!! Super slow, due to network!

    Boom!
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Profiles: this will be useful for teams.... however with it only being available with a stable Internet connection... it becomes less worth while.

    Behance: Geejus! Corel Draw 50 Billion Clip Art shit! Way to lower the value of graphic design. We Thank You... NOT!
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Oh nice.... showing mobile apps on a Microsoft Surface, mobile Apps on iPhone.... who the **** is Android?
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Profiles: this will be useful for teams.... however with it only being available with a stable Internet connection... it becomes less worth while.

    Behance: Geejus! Corel Draw 50 Billion Clip Art shit! Way to lower the value of graphic design. We Thank You... NOT!

    At some point, it will be possible to simply instruct your computer to create the graphics for you from scratch using an A.I. agent. Maybe sometime around 2025?
  • Reply 20 of 32
    At some point, it will be possible to simply instruct your computer to create the graphics for you from scratch using an A.I. agent. Maybe sometime around 2025?

    I predicted around 2000 that it would already be HERE by now: make filled square 10x10cm centered, color red. Outline 2 mm black; duplicate 3x top; group; center group... etc.etc.
Sign In or Register to comment.