T-Mobile CEO John Legere says iPhone 6 demand 'unbelievable,' not affected by bogus 'bendgate'

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    plovellplovell Posts: 826member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

NOPE!  If you buy an iPhone from the Apple store at full retail price, the phone will be unlocked upon restore.  Just go home, plug it into iTunes, and restore the phone and it's unlocked and ready to go.

That is good to know. I knew it to be true for T-Mobile but had not heard that AT&T and Verizon ones were unlocked also. Maybe even Sprint -- shock, horror !!

• Reply 102 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

Not to mention the S models have better internals and overall higher specs, so that they are are more "future proof" and last for more years than the non-S varieties.

Hardly!  My 4 is actually doing better at the end of its fourth year than my wife's 4S is at the end of its third...THAT's not "future-proof"!

• Reply 103 of 112
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

Hardly!  My 4 is actually doing better at the end of its fourth year than my wife's 4S is at the end of its third...THAT's not "future-proof"!

The 4 is not supported for iOS 8 and my 4 was slower than my wife's 4S.  I call BS that your 4 is running better than your wife's 4S with double cores that are more advanced when running the same rev iOS.  You're also lacking Siri, 3D maps and turn-by-turn navigation, AirDropAirPlay mirroring, live camera filters, panorama mode.

• Reply 104 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

The 4 is not supported for iOS 8 and my 4 was slower than my wife's 4S.

That's nice...

I call BS that your 4 is running better than your wife's 4S with double cores that are more advanced when running the same rev iOS.

Dude, put down the spec sheet and use BOTH hands...

You're also lacking Siri, 3D maps and turn-by-turn navigation, AirDropAirPlay mirroring, live camera filters, panorama mode.

No, srsly, PUT DOWN THE SPEC SHEET!!!

I guess some people just don't understand what "performance" means...and FTR, I never said I'm HAPPY with the performance of my 4....

• Reply 105 of 112
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Ummm...I think Fuzzypaws is comparing, for example, '5S' with '5', while you are comparing, for example, '5' with '4S'...?

He is, which is why I am saying his comparison is flawed because in both comparisons it's YoY so based on that there is no additional future proofing.

Okay, perhaps I'm lost, then.

YoY aside, I thought his point was that, if you were getting any given form factor - 

4, 5 OR 6 - it's better to wait a year till the "S" variety of that form appeared,

emending and advancing that particular form...

Obviously 5 will be better than 4,  OR 4S, etc.

What did I miss?

• Reply 106 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Okay, perhaps I'm lost, then.
    YoY aside, I thought his point was that, if you were getting any given form factor - 
    4, 5 OR 6 - it's better to wait a year till the "S" variety of that form appeared,
    emending and advancing that particular form...
    Obviously 5 will be better than 4,  OR 4S, etc.
    What did I miss?

I'm not sure. He stated the 'S' variant is better than the non-'S' variant for a given form factor, but that's a given considering it's a year newer, just as following year's non-'S' variant is better than the 'S' variant of the previous year. There is no additional future-proofing from having the 'S' variant, and I gave examples as to how the 'S' variant may actually have a lower percentage value from a given MSRP for the same time period on the market.

I think people make the erroneous assumption that by using the same casing a second year it means the HW inside is somehow more refined for that casing, but that simply isn't the case. Apple changes it up right down to the logic board and screws into the casing to meet whatever design changes they have. One could even argue that using the same casing for a second year to appease case, dock and other accessory makers added an additional level of inconvenience to Apple that requires them to work within set confines that aren't present for the non-'S' variant.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

I guess some people just don't understand what "performance" means...and FTR, I never said I'm HAPPY with the performance of my 4....

I guess some people just make shit up because I have both phones and the 4S is faster, will likely be supported longer (relative to launch) and what you wrote was bullshit about future proofing.

• Reply 108 of 112
    solipsismx wrote: »
    There is no additional future-proofing from having the 'S' variant, and I gave examples as to how the 'S' variant may actually have a lower percentage value from a given MSRP for the same time period on the market.

Both the 4S and 5S had a more significant jump in CPU power over their predecessor than the 4, 5 or 6 had over theirs. The 4S went dual core and the 5s went 64 bits. Both had new capabilities that are core capabilities: Siri and TouchID.

Having TouchID will allow the 5S to play more in the apple pay domain than the 5. It may not have NFC but the watch will.
  • Reply 109 of 112
    nht wrote: »
    Both the 4S and 5S had a more significant jump in CPU power over their predecessor than the 4, 5 or 6 had over theirs. The 4S went dual core and the 5s went 64 bits. Both had new capabilities that are core capabilities: Siri and TouchID.

Having TouchID will allow the 5S to play more in the apple pay domain than the 5. It may not have NFC but the watch will.

You can do that with the tick models, too, which is my point. The iPhone 6 series has larger display options, a higher performing processor with lower power usage with a smaller node, barometer, and was much thinner than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5 has a larger display with a higher resolution, much faster GPU, a higher performing processor with lower power usage with a smaller node, double the RAM, weighed considerably less and was thinner than the iPhone 4S. I'd say that doubling the RAM from 512MiB to 1GiB is more future proof than going to 64-bits or adding TouchID since the RAM directly dictates what they include in iOS in the future builds.
  • Reply 110 of 112
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... He stated the 'S' variant is better than the non-'S' variant for a given form factor, but that's a given considering it's a year newer, just as following year's non-'S' variant is better than the 'S' variant of the previous year. There is no additional future-proofing from having the 'S' variant, and I gave examples as to how the 'S' variant may actually have a lower percentage value from a given MSRP for the same time period on the market.

I think there is a "future-proofing" element sometimes - for example,

my 4 won't run iOS 8 but a 4S will...

I thought that was the sort of thing being discussed, but thanks for clarifying.

Perhaps I need to read more carefully.

• Reply 111 of 112
    boredumb wrote: »
    I think there is a "future-proofing" element sometimes - for example,
    my 4 won't run iOS 8 but a 4S will...
    I thought that was the sort of thing being discussed, <span style="line-height:1.4em;">but thanks for clarifying.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Perhaps I need to read more c</span>
    arefully.

I don't think that's future proofing for the 'S' tock series more than their systematic dripping of support. I'd guess the 4S wI'll be dropped next year and the iPhone 5 be the oldest model that supports iOS 9.