Google updates Gmail for iOS with support for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by helia View Post

That is Google's way of making loyal customers, by not letting you sign out  ;)

How to sign out of Gmail on an iPad in portrait mode:

1. Tap the barely visible 3 dots at top left of screen

2. Tap the menu icon at top left

3. Tap manage accounts, bottom left of screen

4. Tap Edit

5. Tap Remove

6. Tap remove AGAIN on confirmation dialog

7. Tap Done

This process is a fucking blast when you share an iPad with someone. Because, you know, it wasn't possible to make a "log out" button. At the MINIMUM you need 5 taps, on targets that are on opposing ends of the screen. I would love to switch to someone other than gmail. Unfortunately, in terms of features, it's hard to beat. 

• Reply 22 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I have never had a Gmail account but a lot of people I know do and are very happy with it. I have an Apple account and a Microsoft account.

A bit off topic, but Apple and Microsoft aren't really enemies any more like they used to be... In the recent Charlie Rose interview he asked Tim Cook to name his competitors and they went through the list: Google, Amazon, etc. Microsoft wasn't even mentioned by either of them. 

Not to mention:

- Apple doesn't just allow you to install Windows on your Mac, they provide a wizard to do so and a CD of drivers!

- Apple publishes iTunes and an iCloud control panel for Windows. The iTunes version is every bit as up to date as the Mac one.

- Microsoft publishes OneDrive and Office apps for Mac and iOS

- The provider of Internet search results in Yosemite Spotlight will be Bing 

- The default file sharing protocol in Yosemite is SMB3

To bring it back to Google, I think to some extent Apple and Microsoft, who have the traditional pay for services business model, are quietly cooperating against Google with it's advertising supported model.

• Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

:???:  don't forget your meds

don't forget to get a job and move out of moms basement...

• Reply 24 of 39
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

You are dam CRASS!

• Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

...he says to a guy who's paid off his house and breaks ground on a new pool next week.

• Reply 26 of 39
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    ascii wrote: »
    I have never had a Gmail account but a lot of people I know do and are very happy with it. I have an Apple account and a Microsoft account.

A bit off topic, but Apple and Microsoft aren't really enemies any more like they used to be... In the recent Charlie Rose interview he asked Tim Cook to name his competitors and they went through the list: Google, Amazon, etc. Microsoft wasn't even mentioned by either of them. 
    Not to mention:

- Apple doesn't just allow you to install Windows on your Mac, they provide a wizard to do so and a CD of drivers!

- Apple publishes iTunes and an iCloud control panel for Windows. The iTunes version is every bit as up to date as the Mac one.

- Microsoft publishes OneDrive and Office apps for Mac and iOS

- The provider of Internet search results in Yosemite Spotlight will be Bing 

- The default file sharing protocol in Yosemite is SMB3

To bring it back to Google, I think to some extent Apple and Microsoft, who have the traditional pay for services business model, are quietly cooperating against Google with it's advertising supported model.

What traditional pay-for-services businesses does MS have that Google doesn't have? Office 365 competes with the subscription-based Google Apps. Bing sells advertising like Google Search also does. And MS has lately been backing off a bit on the Windows cash cow, as Windows Phone is now available to OEMs free of charge. On a whole, Google's offerings compete much more with Microsoft's than with Apple's.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

What traditional pay-for-services businesses does MS have that Google doesn't have? Office 365 competes with the subscription-based Google Apps. Bing sells advertising like Google Search also does. And MS has lately been backing off a bit on the Windows cash cow, as Windows Phone is now available to OEMs free of charge. On a whole, Google's offerings compete much more with Microsoft's than with Apple's.

I would say Microsoft is somewhere between Apple and Google in terms of their use of ads vs paying. For example there are no ads in the Windows 8 Mail app but there are in the Weather app. I think in general when people go to Microsoft they to have to pay something (e.g. Windows), and when they go to Google they expect it to be free. But perhaps that is a remnant of what their first major products were each, and the difference is not so great these days. People think of the Internet as free, and Google started on the Internet, but Microsoft started in the physical world where people don't generally expect free.

• Reply 28 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

...he says to a guy who's paid off his house and breaks ground on a new pool next week.

You only have one house¿
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You only have one house¿

8-)

• Reply 30 of 39
    slurpy wrote: »
    I can't believe how sluggish this trash app is, even on my iPad Air. It's like half of it is simply a web container. Also, love how it takes like 10 steps to sign out, in an incredibly convoluted process.  Amazing. 

You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

whatever, let me guess- you broke a water pipe in your moms basement and thats your pool

BTW, Check your PM

any problems and you can come talk to me about it straight up. Or would that be too scary for you to leave your moms basement.

How can anyone except a poor ass child living in his moms basement brag about not paying a petty fee for something in return for loss of privacy?

Your BS oesn't make sense, boy

• Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

whatever, let me guess- you broke a water pipe in your moms basement and thats your pool

BTW, Check your PM

any problems and you can come talk to me about it straight up. Or would that be too scary for you to leave your moms basement.

How can anyone except a poor ass child living in his moms basement brag about not paying a petty fee for something in return for loss of privacy?

Your BS oesn't make sense, boy

Your teeny tiny IQ is showing. Do you have a point?

• Reply 33 of 39
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    cali wrote: »
    I want an Apple alternative to this spam ware service.

A little off topic but not:

I often see fandroids saying google is better than Apple because of their search engine...

APPLE DOESN'T HAVE A SEARCH ENGINE DUMB F***S!!

I would love for Apple to make a real competing search engine website just to shut them up and take even just %10 MORE* of Giggles revenue.

*Spotlight will do damage.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">FWIW, I receive unwanted spam or advert emails in my gmail inbox about once per year. Plenty of it hits my account, but gmail automatically filters it. I've checked in the spam folder occasionally, and they never yank anything I actually want to read.</span>

How are people screwing it up so that they see this stuff?

You're bringing an argument in from another thread to beat it down?

If you don't use your Gmail account on public sites, you should never see any spam. I have a few accounts from them, one is specifically used for public forums and signing up to different things on the web, that account is riddled with spam. The other is semi private that I use for acquaintances that I meet, basically a holding area before I upgrade you to my personal email, I haven't had a single spam email since it was opened in 2001. The last is used specifically for Google services, I randomly get newsletters from Google or one of its partners but there are so few of them it isn't bothersome. The worst email service for Spam that I have ever had was Yahoo, even though I have never been on half of the sites that I get Spam from. The best public email service though, for me anyway is hotmail, Spam free since the late 90's. If you keep your email private there is no reason why you should ever get Spam, even from Google, as they don't Spam you for the hell of it, people who say they do must have used that email address somewhere publicly, all it takes is one sign-up for a forum that doesn't care about your privacy.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:

Your teeny tiny IQ is showing. Do you have a point?

I would bet I made more money in '86 than you do now, and will bet I have more education than you. 

Point is you said you don't mind giving up your privacy., and as such you are a cheap skate. Need me to draw you a picture, boy?

I suppose if one had no mind whatsoever, then they wouldn't care if their privacy was compromised. 

• Reply 35 of 39
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

I would bet I made more money in '86 than you do now, and will bet I have more education than you. 

Point is you said you don't mind giving up your privacy., and as such you are a cheap skate. Need me to draw you a picture, boy?

I suppose if one had no mind whatsoever, then they wouldn't care if their privacy was compromised. 

Give it a rest already you two.

• Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Give it a rest already you two.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's flirting. I'm out.

• Reply 37 of 39

bugger off Relic.

And I already straightened out the droid dork

• Reply 38 of 39
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    If you don't use your Gmail account on public sites, you should never see any spam. I have a few accounts from them, one is specifically used for public forums and signing up to different things on the web, that account is riddled with spam. The other is semi private that I use for acquaintances that I meet, basically a holding area before I upgrade you to my personal email, I haven't had a single spam email since it was opened in 2001. The last is used specifically for Google services, I randomly get newsletters from Google or one of its partners but there are so few of them it isn't bothersome. The worst email service for Spam that I have ever had was Yahoo, even though I have never been on half of the sites that I get Spam from. The best public email service though, for me anyway is hotmail, Spam free since the late 90's. If you keep your email private there is no reason why you should ever get Spam, even from Google, as they don't Spam you for the hell of it, people who say they do must have used that email address somewhere publicly, all it takes is one sign-up for a forum that doesn't care about your privacy.

Add to that is the fact that email service providers have much to gain from filtering spam in order to not unnecessarily load their servers.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

bugger off Relic.

And I already straightened out the droid dork

Don't you have some blocks you should be playing with? (and failing at)