Carl Icahn teases 'interesting' open letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

He believe his own note will be "interesting"?

Well, isn't that modest of him...  /s

• Reply 42 of 64
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member

Chairman of Alibaba said - " Customer" come first than "Employees" than "Investors". This short term leach Mr. Ichan wants to boost the price of Apple stock so he can sell, make money hurting other long term investors . Apple makes money or have lots of money on balance sheet not because of Carl but because of Apple employees(management,product development,support, marketing,etc). Where was this guy when Apple was struggling for money. Now he just comes-in, inflate price with PR stunt and when stock reaches certain point, he leaves. Average investors are busy in their life not knowing Carl is selling his stake. So, we don't need this guy telling what Apple should or should not do with their money. He is just one investor and trouble maker.

• Reply 43 of 64
    bc2009bc2009 Posts: 43member
    Icahn wants one of two things:

1) He wants Apple to buy PayPal

2) He wants Apple to use their stock buyback money to purchase his shares so he doesn't lose a bunch of value as he sells off

That's all I can think of, but with Icahn you never know what he is going to say.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Bottom feeding scum who's living off of other people's hard work.nif Steve were alive he would have flushed his sorry butt down the sewer.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Carl Icahn't Shutup
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

He believe his own note will be "interesting"?

Well, isn't that modest of him...  /s

That's exactly what trolls do: broadcast their opinions, unsolicited.

• Reply 47 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Explain to me exactly how Ichan is hurting Apple?

He simply said that Apple should increase their buyback since the shares were obviously under-valued.  And Ichan has been proven right as the shares are 50% higher since Ichan said this.  Tim Cook also agreed and increased the buyback a few months later.

So again explain to me EXACTLY how Apple is being hurt by Ichan being an Apple investor?

Apple isn't being significantly hurt because so far it hasn't listened to him. He, however, is a distraction. The shares didn't rebound fifty percent after Ichan said this. In fact after a small bounce, they retreated. The shares increased dramatically after Apple announced a 7 for 1 stock Split along with a modest increased dividend and share repurchase. Ichan didn't influence this decision either as Apple reevaluates these decisions every year around the same time. Ichan didn't suggest the biggest factor that brought the stock up: namely the 7 to 1 split.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

He simply said that Apple should increase their buyback since the shares were obviously under-valued.  And Ichan has been proven right as the shares are 50% higher since Ichan said this.  Tim Cook also agreed and increased the buyback a few months later.

So again explain to me EXACTLY how Apple is being hurt by Ichan being an Apple investor?

Exactly.  Had Apple followed Ichan's advice fully they would have been in an even better position.  Apple stock was underpriced and it still is today.  Every share retired is a share Apple does not need to pay a dividend on. 

• Reply 49 of 64
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

Carl is a brilliant 80's corporate raider, but he has zero interest in building things. He mostly destroys things to fatten his bank account.

• Reply 50 of 64
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

And I thought I'm the only one who doesn't like this guy

• Reply 51 of 64
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So Icahn's letter to Cook is basically more share buybacks. Yawn.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    jrobjrob Posts: 49member
    I don't think Apple wants or needs PayPal. PayPal's biggest asset (besides customer base) is its fraud protection mechanisms. Apple already has the customer base, and with Touch ID a superior fraud prevention mechanism which allowed it to negotiate lower transaction fees with credit card issuers. With massive sales of iphone 6, there will be a huge number of capable devices on day 1.

Wouldn't be surprised if Icahn announces he's sold a bunch or all of his EBay stock (and maybe bought more Apple stock) after they announced ApplePay. Not sure what Apple has planned long-term, but it appears to me they hold a very strong hand. Of course, I also wouldn't be totally shocked if he wanted to lock in his quick no-brainer 50% gain, but I would be surprised.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gimarbazat View Post

That greedy man again? He's almost 80 what is he going to do with all that money? he's not going to take it with him in the grave or is he?

Is it too hard to understand? It's not about the money. When he can bring down "the most valuable brand in the world" he will be "THE" investment banker who made "THE" hostile takeover. Ultimate goal. Just for sports. And if he succeeds, it will be biggest monument to him for decades to come. Everybody will talk about it for next twenty five years at least. Just think about, what it will mean for US economy. How many jobs will be lost, how many tax dollars lost. Destroying Apple - how many investment bankers can you name? But his name will be legend.

• Reply 54 of 64
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gimarbazat wrote: »
    That greedy Jewish man again?

Why make such a statement? What does his religion/ethnicity/culture/race have to do with this story?
  • Reply 55 of 64
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I have to admit this time he not trying to mess with Apple, if just trying to use Financial Engineering (buying stock back) to help drive up the stock prices. Usually he more interested in destroying companies for short term gains. 

I believe this letter is not to Apple other than buy back more stock, bit it is gear toward the entire investment world tell them they got it wrong why else would be put at risk Billions of $ making him the single largest investor, as such he telling them to stop holding apple back and to get out of Apple way. He can not tear the company apart like he doing with paypal and ebay to get himself short term gains, with Apple he was to do something different which is what you are seeing playing out.

• Reply 56 of 64
    rogifan wrote: »
    So Icahn's letter to Cook is basically more share buybacks. Yawn.

Obviously it would all benefit him, but also I think he wants Apple to carry more debt. That's how these guys think. When a company carries a lot of debt, it's more easily manipulated by investors with large stakes in the company and they may be forced into other moves that only benefit Carl..
  • Reply 57 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    zoetmb wrote: »
    What I don't understand is "why?"   How much money does any one person need?   He has more money than he could ever spend in his entire life.   What does he get out of bullying companies?

It's not really 'money', it's stock. He'd have to sell all the shares and convert it to cash and then keep the cash somewhere. Everything is volatile and has some element of risk so people like to keep assets growing beyond inflation.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/greatest/carlicahn.asp

"Time Magazine interviewed Icahn on the occasion of his 71st birthday in February 2007. When he was asked about retirement, he answered, "Well, a number of CEOs have offered to host my retirement party. But I'm just a competitive guy that grew up in Queens. I can't see myself spending the rest of my life in Florida playing golf."

It's reported that Icahn has built a team of two dozen associates to help him find targets and mount his corporate crusades and will likely continue to pursue his investor activism."

His letter is here:

http://www.shareholderssquaretable.com/sale-apple-shares-at-half-price/

Starts by praising Tim Cook but has random earnings growth expectations, suggests a 13" iPad might help, then wants Apple to buy back more shares as they still have over $100b in the bank and Apple is extremely undervalued. He even suggests they accelerate the buyback quickly because other investors might realise how undervalued Apple is and drive up the price. Oh no Tim, quick spend all the cash to drive the stock price up because otherwise someone else will do it leaving you with both the cash and a high stock price.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Anything Icahn claims should be weighed very carefully against the long term interests of the company. He wants an immediate payout.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Anything Icahn claims should be weighed very carefully against the long term interests of the company. He wants an immediate payout.

Actually his tone has changed a bit, with Apple he looking for a return which is greater than what he would get elsewhere and he now believes the issue with Apple has nothing to do with what apple is doing but what Wall Street is doing to apple. He trying to get them out of the way. Most time he walks into a company and it is the people running who have no clue and is holding back the company.

• Reply 60 of 64

Icahn is basically the world's richest troll.

He doesn't give a damn about the products or services a company produces, or their brand equity. Only what the market cap is.