Hidden graphical assets in iOS 8.1 beta 2 hint at 'Retina HD' iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

If Apple decided to make the next-gen iPad like an iPhone aspect ratio, that would be 16:9 (1.7778:1).

That would be a terrible mistake!

Most of those junky Android tablets are 16:9, and they're all horrible in portrait mode. Why would Apple want to emulate junk?

The good thing about the iPad is that it's equally good in portrait or landscape.

• Reply 22 of 54
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member

I never suggested that Apple would do such a thing or recommended such a move.

It was strictly used as a point to illustrate fallenjt's utterly bizarre aspect ratio.

That said, Apple widened the iPhone (between the 4S and 5 models), then super sized it, so we know that Apple is willing to change aspect ratios. Apple has also mucked around with MacBook screen aspect ratios as well, for that matter.

Feel free to wring your hands, gnash your teeth, et cetera.

• Reply 23 of 54
    Why not 3072x2048? Not 4:3 but much better than 16:9.

And in landscape mode you could fit 2 apps side-by-side at 2048x1536 in portrait mode.

And since the pixel count is only double, you don't need to do a major jump on the GPU side. An extra core plus clock bump would make things smooth.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Or this resolution is for 12" iPad ???
  • Reply 25 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    There would be no point in increasing the resolution of the retina 9.7" with the implicit penalties that would bring. The obvious reason would be a larger screen size.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    paxman wrote: »
    There would be no point in increasing the resolution of the retina 9.7" with the implicit penalties that would bring. The obvious reason would be a larger screen size.

IPad Pro or iPad Plus?
  • Reply 27 of 54
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

I would love a 12" iPad, since I use it mostly at home on the couch. Hopefully Apple supplies a larger size option, especially since many now use an iPad as their sole computer. 

• Reply 28 of 54
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

IPad Pro or iPad Plus?

Pro, since Air already.

Both are idiotic. “iPad”. Available in two sizes.

• Reply 29 of 54

Pro, since Air already.

Both are idiotic. “iPad”. Available in two sizes.

Agreed.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The more that I think about this, I would say that this is good evidence that there is going to be an iPad Pro being released next week!

Up until now, there hasn't been a single piece of evidence about any iPad Pro, just plenty of dumb rumors and speculation. No photos, no nothing.

It doesn't make sense for Apple to increase the resolution on the 9.7" iPad. If true, it would be a very odd move, IMO. Why introduce a whole new display format for developers to make apps for and make new higher res graphics, unless we're talking about a new product size here, as in a larger, 12.9" iPad! If the 12.9" iPad kept the same resolution as the current Retina iPads, then the DPI would be too low, so it makes perfect sense  to increase the pixels on the larger iPad.

Just earlier today in another thread, I wrote that I was skeptical about an iPad Pro being released next week, but now, I'm not so sure anymore, based on this new information.

I sure hope that it were true, because I'd buy an iPad Pro in a minute! And also, I don't give a crap about what it's called. iPad Pro, iPad Schmo, who cares. Just release it, so I can buy it!

• Reply 31 of 54
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

• Reply 32 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

As others have said, surely this indicates a bigger model? As the graphics performance on the 6 Plus showed, Retina HD does not come for free, so they would not do it on the current size, for a very marginal improvement in sharpness.

They made the new iPhones bigger to create room at the bottom for the Apple Watch. But now the phones and tablets are too close, so they have to push the iPads out by a proportional amount.

• Reply 33 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    But now the phones and tablets are too close, so they have to push the iPads out by a proportional amount.

I don't see that as a problem and don't think the 7.9" iPad will be going away because there is a 5.5" iPhone. I do think that a larger iPad makes sense with the market for iPad having plateaued, although I'm not sure it's ready to launch since I can't recall any leaks for this mythical 12.9" iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Woah, this sounds like bad news maybe! I might have to reconsider getting a new iPad! Damn!

I bought an iPad 3 to replace my iPad 2, and I was pleased with the retina display, but the performance between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 was about the same.

I need to see how this new iPad performs, and it had better be considerably more powerful than the iPad Air. I'd rather have increased performance instead of more pixels. Retina is already good enough if you ask me.

Now, if this rumor is about a 12.9" iPad, then that's a different story.

Yep. I found the same thing. In fact, as iOS updates, my poor iPad 3 struggling. I thought it was hopelessly sluggish with iOS 8 and then, out of frustration, did a simple restore. Now it's back to merely slow, but not the crazy bad stuttering and pausing that was driving me nuts on my first simple over-the-air iOS update.

Anywhoo, I hope any resolution increases come with bumped up GPUs so we don't have another iPad 3 experience.

• Reply 35 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    bugsnw wrote: »

Yep. I found the same thing. In fact, as iOS updates, my poor iPad 3 struggling. I thought it was hopelessly sluggish with iOS 8 and then, out of frustration, did a simple restore. Now it's back to merely slow, but not the crazy bad stuttering and pausing that was driving me nuts on my first simple over-the-air iOS update.

Anywhoo, I hope any resolution increases come with bumped up GPUs so we don't have another iPad 3 experience.

Something I noticed in the iOS 8 betas is that the Other category was excessively filed and growing. You can see this when you plug it into iTunes. This is the space that the OS uses. I'm not sure what was causing the issue, perhaps just the swap partitions not be deleted after each OTA update since I had about 8 GiB being used by Other. Either way, I see that Gruber linked to an article mentioning it so I'm apparently not alone in whatever issue is causing Other to grow in size.

My suggesting is everyone that did an OTA update or troubleshooting someone else's device to do that check to see how large it is. My iPhone 6 series lists a standard 2.56 GiB for Other. If there is a problem a Backup and Restore should be fine as this caused no issues for me when I did it with my iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Why not 3072x2048? Not 4:3 but much better than 16:9.

And in landscape mode you could fit 2 apps side-by-side at 2048x1536 in portrait mode.

And since the pixel count is only double, you don't need to do a major jump on the GPU side. An extra core plus clock bump would make things smooth.

So you want more pixels than a rMBP but with a much slower GPU? Scrolling still isn't perfect on mine with a geforce 650m. They would NEED an A8X.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see that as a problem and don't think the 7.9" iPad will be going away because there is a 5.5" iPhone. I do think that a larger iPad makes sense with the market for iPad having plateaued, although I'm not sure it's ready to launch since I can't recall any leaks for this mythical 12.9" iPad.

That's a good point, surely we would have seen at least one case leak by now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not sure what was causing the issue, perhaps just the swap partitions not be deleted after each OTA update since I had about 8 GiB being used by Other.

I don't think iOS uses a swap file. It does have virtual memory but when memory gets low, instead of swapping it out to disk, it compresses it in memory (as in zip).

• Reply 38 of 54
    ascii wrote: »
    But now the phones and tablets are too close, so they have to push the iPads out by a proportional amount.

Too close?

:???:

• Reply 39 of 54
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    If we get a new iPad with iPhone like displays, 2GB RAM, Touch ID and storage starting at 32GB I'm in!
  • Reply 40 of 54
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    If this 3x res is applied to the current iPad Air it'll give 594ppi! Even to me that sounds a little like overkill res-wise. And I like my Retina displays! But if you apply that 3x res to the rumoured large screen iPad Pro - at 12.8" that works out to exactly 300ppi or print quality. Or if its the rumoured 12.9" then just over 297ppi. Anyway this new info adds much more interest to the upcoming 16th October event.