Philips TVs bundled with Apple TV launch in India as part of alleged partnership [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Like i said....

Apple HomeCenter here we come.....

Yeah but I highly doubt Apple will make a TV themselves, I mean why, what could Apple possibly offer that isn't already on the market. No, there will be no TV, Apple bundling Apple TV with other TV's yes, absolutely, as Philips here is doing.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    [SIZE=14px]Yeah, $4000 for a 40-inch set. Pathetically ridiculous and out-of-touch.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]Moreover, as a long-time B&O user (lots of their audio products all around my home) who used to absolutely **love**, even evangelize, their products, their new designs, connectivity options, levels of technological advancement, and most sadly, customer service, have all become quite sucky. Their remotes are an embarrassment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]It's too bad really. I don't think I'd go near one of their products ever again.[/SIZE]

Our entire house is wired for B&O's home automation system, it's incredible, like Apple products very simple to use and elegant in it's execution. You have no idea what you are talking about and their customer service is impeccable, if and that's a big if we ever had a problem a technician was dispatched the same day if we called before 13:00. Most of our TV's and audio equipment is also B&O, though expensive, the quality and resell value is fantastic. Though we now have a NEC projector in the family room if and when B&O releases their own I will be the first in line to buy one. There are certain brands like Apple that I trust without approach to give me the best quality and B&O is defiantly one of them. Our remotes are iPad Minis using BeoLink, which are official B&O accessories, so you hate iPads too now.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr4js View Post

Philips makes cheap junk. Should not be associated quality Apple products.

hmm. have you seen Hue? high end programable led lighting for iOS, was exclusive to Apple stores and apple.com. not cheap and not junk. associated w/ apple products.

• Reply 44 of 58
    nolamacguy wrote: »

hmm. have you seen Hue? high end programable led lighting for iOS, was exclusive to Apple stores and apple.com. not cheap and not junk. associated w/ apple products.

Philip doesn't make junk, they have really good premium products and an inexpensive line that this individual is probably referring to. People always want the most without having to pay for it, they have no problem paying a premium price for an Apple product but when it comes to say a TV they get chincy. Philip makes one of my favorite premium wireless speaker series but their not cheap so most opt for the lower end models and then say their crap, you get what you pay for. The Hue is a really cool system, we have 6 in our family room, used as theater lighting.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    relic wrote: »
    Philip doesn't make junk, they have really good premium products and an inexpensive line that this individual is probably referring to. People always want the most without having to pay for it, they have no problem paying a premium price for an Apple product but when it comes to say a TV they get chincy. Philip makes one of my favorite premium wireless speaker series but their not cheap so most opt for the lower end models and then say their crap, you get what you pay for. The Hue is a really cool system, we have 6 in our family room, used as theater lighting.

Thanks to Philips for making available to consumers the wide screen flat panel TV. How quickly we forget history, and trash the pioneers.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Thanks to Philips for making available to consumers the wide screen flat panel TV. How quickly we forget history, and trash the pioneers.

Philips has been pioneering for >130 years. Remember they started with their thorium mantle for gas lamps (that's the "Glooilampenfabrieken" in their name) which allowed gaslight to hold off electric lights for like 25 years. Then there's the audio cassette, the rotary shaver, the optical disc (unfortunately they jumped in while content was still analog), and as dasanman says, the wide screen flat panel TV.

Unfortunately, they no longer make TVs, and have licensed their name apparently, so the "Philips" TV you bought at WalMart (or the one I bought at Fred Meyer), is just the same as the one somebody else bought that says "Motorola" or "Emerson" on it. IOW, cheap junk. It's really too bad. Not as sad as "Carver" TVs, but still sad.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    dasanman69 wrote: »

What about the Compact Disc, okay Sony also helped develop it but they played a big part and were the first to release a working product using the technology.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What about the Compact Disc, okay Sony also helped develop it but they played a big part and were the first to release a working product using the technology.

That part I didn't know, thanks, and thanks also to [@]Mac-sochist[/@] for his input.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Hmm... New AppleTV next week maybe? It's been way too long....
  • Reply 50 of 58
    mr4jsmr4js Posts: 55member
    I can tell you first hand that Philips is a very unethical company and they make low quality junk. I really hope Apple learned it's lesson with Samsung and doesn't make the same mistake twice. Hue is a gimmick. If you want real home automation, try Insteon and a Universal Devices ISY controller. If you want LED lamps that really work and dim properly try G7 Power. Forget about Philips.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/eu-tv-cartel-fine/

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/12/europe-fines-tv-monitor-makers-1-92-billion-for-pricing-conspiracy/
  • Reply 52 of 58
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Philips has been pioneering for >130 years. Remember they started with their thorium mantle for gas lamps (that's the "Glooilampenfabrieken" in their name) which allowed gaslight to hold off electric lights for like 25 years. Then there's the audio cassette, the rotary shaver, the optical disc (unfortunately they jumped in while content was still analog), and as dasanman says, the wide screen flat panel TV.

Unfortunately, they no longer make TVs, and have licensed their name apparently, so the "Philips" TV you bought at WalMart (or the one I bought at Fred Meyer), is just the same as the one somebody else bought that says "Motorola" or "Emerson" on it. IOW, cheap junk. It's really too bad. Not as sad as "Carver" TVs, but still sad.

Philips sold their Hong Kong-based WOOX Entertainment division -- the audio and home entertainment business -- to Nashville-based Gibson Brands earlier this year. The video business will transfer in 2017.

Philips is basically getting out of the consumer entertainment electronics business, and refocusing their efforts on health/personal well-being technology (which includes things like energy efficient lighting and electric toothbrushes).

Note that Gibson Brands owns Japan-based TEAC and is an investor in Onkyo Electronics. This also reflects a change in their business strategy: Gibson Brands used to be the musical instrument-focused Gibson Guitar Company, and now they are trying to become a player in the home entertainment arena.

• Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Our entire house is wired for B&O's home automation system, it's incredible, like Apple products very simple to use and elegant in it's execution. You have no idea what you are talking about and their customer service is impeccable, if and that's a big if we ever had a problem a technician was dispatched the same day if we called before 13:00. Most of our TV's and audio equipment is also B&O, though expensive, the quality and resell value is fantastic. Though we now have a NEC projector in the family room if and when B&O releases their own I will be the first in line to buy one. There are certain brands like Apple that I trust without approach to give me the best quality and B&O is defiantly one of them. Our remotes are iPad Minis using BeoLink, which are official B&O accessories, so you hate iPads too now.

I am very happy for you that you enjoy and derive value from the current B&O products as much as you do/did the earlier ones. But I am sure our tastes are very different.

Vive la différence!

Oh, I don't buy my stuff -- other than stocks -- for their resale value.

• Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am very happy for you that you enjoy and derive value from the current B&O products as much as you do/did the earlier ones. But I am sure our tastes are very different.

Vive la différence!

Oh, I don't buy my stuff -- other than stocks -- for their resale value.

Nor should you but can't take things like home automation equipment with you when move as it not only increases the value of your home and but it's also integrated into the house itself.

• Reply 55 of 58
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Yes, Philips has a good pedigree. They invented the first CD player, I think.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Philips has been pioneering for >130 years. Remember they started with their thorium mantle for gas lamps (that's the "Glooilampenfabrieken" in their name) which allowed gaslight to hold off electric lights for like 25 years.

Yup. And even used at Harvard:
    http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Pages/item.aspx?num=3975

True, but only the A>D part, they weren't able to get the D>A part working and called Sony.

OT: the little hole in a CD is exactly the same size at a 'dubbeltje', Dutch 10 cents, or 1/10th of a Guilder.

As discussed here last year with kdarling:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/155696/apple-partner-philips-exits-consumer-electronics-business#post_2267346

• Reply 57 of 58
    aravarav Posts: 1member
    Nice Article,please visit http://www.placewellretail.com/monitors/apple-displays for one of the best apple displays , at affordable price