Banks to take on fraud liability in Apple Pay deal, USAA announces Nov. 7 availability

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Sorry to upset you, I didn't think the /s was needed for regular members, I was just having fun with the resident Google troll. I wasn't being serious. I have a massive investment in AAPL and have worked with Apple since 1978 so I assure you I give Tim and Apple all the kudos possible.

Many here will agree that [@]Gatorguy[/@] is not a troll. Being a Google advocate, and having a opposing POV does not equate to trolling. I'm certain that you're intelligent enough to know the difference.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When a payment is initiated at a compatible point-of-sale terminal, a token is transmitted and decoded by the backend payments system, leaving sensitive customer information out of the equation.

Not only that, but IIRC the token is only good for that one transaction.

So even if someone were able to intercept all data sent back and forth during the transaction,

including the token, none of it would do them any good.

• Reply 23 of 75
    bizlawbizlaw Posts: 13member
    Of course the banks take on the liability for fraud -- they're banks licensed under federal law and Apple is not. Apple is not providing the financing (which is what a credit card is), Apple is just providing the payment method, similar to a company building cash registers with card readers.

What happened with Home Depot, Target, etc. is that those companies' systems were broken into and consumer's information stolen. The consumers still won't be responsible for the charges, but liability for the breach falls on the holder of the information.

And this is where merchants will like %uF8FFPay as well -- the merchant doesn't have any information that is of any use to a hacker, like credit card numbers, names, etc. So if Walmart is hacked, the only thing the thieves can obtain is the one-use token. The only party which has the credit card number, name on account, etc. is the issuing bank, so therefore it has the liability.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

In other news, Samsung announces its new digital payment system: S-Pay. Discounts will be given to those who use it for their pets.

• Reply 25 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Trolling would be posting something just to get a reaction wouldn't it? Kinda like what you said your intent was? :rolleyes:

Nope.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Many here will agree that [@]Gatorguy[/@] is not a troll. Being a Google advocate, and having a opposing POV does not equate to trolling. I'm certain that you're intelligent enough to know the difference.

I am absolutely sure. Years of politely putting down Apple at every single opportunity and supporting Google at every turn is hardly simply 'having a [sic] opposing' point of view, it is being adversarial. He is obviously either a paid troll or a very strange person that wants to spend so much time on a blog for a company he obviously doesn't like.

Please supply a list of regular, long standing AI contributors who agree with you.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    Trolling would be posting something just to get a reaction wouldn't it? Kinda like what you said your intent was? :rolleyes:

Troll
    verb
    gerund or present participle: trolling

1. informal
    make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

1 .a troll (/?tro?l/, /?tr?l/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments.

I would admit you are a subtle version. Pretending to be offering up intelligent discourse. Anyone taking the time to read your vast trove of postings will find a Google advocate who simply cannot resist sowing seeds of doubt about Apple at every opportunity. That I would not object to if you simply admitted your true objectives, instead of your continuing pretense of being an Apple supporter.

I on the other hand come to AI to enthuse about and share Apple related information as I have since 1978 in one place or another.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    In other news, Samsung announces its new digital payment system: S-Pay. Discounts will be given to those who use it for their pets.

Paw print I assume? LOL
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Actually I had no idea but I knew how to look it up. Just Google it. ;)
    http://www.google.com/wallet//current-partners.html

Yeah, I already had, just messing with you, pretty much looks like game over and Apple will wins yet again.
  • Reply 30 of 75

I am absolutely sure. Years of politely putting down Apple at every single opportunity and supporting Google at every turn is hardly simply 'having a [sic] opposing' point of view, it is being adversarial. He is obviously either a paid troll or a very strange person that wants to spend so much time on a blog for a company he obviously doesn't like.

Please supply a list of regular, long standing AI contributors who agree with you.

No use being a superhero without a adversary. :lol: Surrounding oneself with like minded individuals is easy. I commend him on choosing the opposite. Whether he's paid or not I cannot say, but I've learned quite a bit from him, as well as from you, and from many of the regulars on here. I visit many sites and AI has the most knowledgeable posters plus there's little of the childish bickering that can be found elsewhere.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Yeah, I already had, just messing with you, pretty much looks like game over and Apple will wins yet again.

How is it game over when all companies can use the exact same NFC POS terminals?
  • Reply 32 of 75

Cool, now my bitch won't get pregnant anymore. :lol:
  • Reply 33 of 75
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    How is it game over when all companies can use the exact same NFC POS terminals?

They can when they finally get their act together. A good idea is worthless when the implementation isn't nailed.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    sirlance99 wrote: »

Come back in a few years and ask again.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No use being a superhero without a adversary. :lol: Surrounding oneself with like minded individuals is easy. I commend him on choosing the opposite. Whether he's paid or not I cannot say, but I've learned quite a bit from him, as well as from you, and from many of the regulars on here. I visit many sites and AI has the most knowledgeable posters plus there's little of the childish bickering that can be found elsewhere.

Ok you are right and thus far I would agree with you. When he jumped on the band wagon trying to help increase fear over the OS X supposed 'virus' I was really ticked off.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    Pretty soon there will be a time when you it will feel payments were "always" this way.

Until of course out planet is hit with a coronal mass ejection. And then we will wish we had coins again!
  • Reply 37 of 75
    blazar wrote: »
    Pretty soon there will be a time when you it will feel payments were "always" this way.

Until of course out planet is hit with a coronal mass ejection. And then we will wish we had coins again!

Lol

Yep, we move on and very soon we forget ... Like pay phones. Remember telegrams anyone?

You are right though, one large global EMP l and we will be in deep sh!t.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Ok you are right and thus far I would agree with you. When he jumped on the band wagon trying to help increase fear over the OS X supposed 'virus' I was really ticked off.

I, myself worry more about the viruses that I can catch. I used Win XP for many years, and my experience with viruses is that they're not as nefarious as one believes that they are. It's actually kind of fun to be part of a botnet, and a play a role in a DDoS attack. :lol:
  • Reply 39 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I would admit you are a subtle version..
    Apparently so subtle that you've never been able to post examples of my supposedly anti-Apple comments when challenged before to do so.

Look, I've no issue with anyone who intelligently disagrees with me, you included. That's what's great about a forum like AI. We share little known facts and stories from folks "who were there" in the trenches. Technical discussions of new technologies, often with information others of us never knew. Well-stated opinions we might not be exposed to on lesser sites. Sometimes viewpoints are even changed when what we thought we knew to be true gets questioned with new facts. IMO that's a good thing too.

Attempting to stifle or distract from those discussions by attacking the character of someone who courteously disagrees hinders intelligent discourse. Everything goes downhill from there so it certainly doesn't add anything to the forum.

So I really don't want to get into a pissing contest with you, especially considering that I've viewed you as a knowledgeable and considerate member for the most part. With that said I'd be very secure with a comparison of our contributions to the AI forums and feel we've both brought valuable things to share. Letting things become entangled in some personal war detracts from our generally on-topic and sometimes even informative posts.

There's days the personal insults on AI nearly drown out what would otherwise be intelligent if disagreeing opinions. .Is that the way you really want members to conduct themselves? "Think exactly like I do or get the heck out, facts be damned"? Someone has to stop and I for one will attempt to avoid replying to trollish comments going forward. They're generally foolish comments anyway so no purpose served getting down in the mud along with them.

Looking forward to things getting back as they were.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    Lol

Yep, we move on and very soon we forget ... Like pay phones. Remember telegrams anyone?

You are right though, one large global EMP l and we will be in deep sh!t.

Speaking of payphones.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-city-opts-remove-creepy-payphone-tracking-beacons-011521074.html