Apple to live stream Oct. 16 iPad event on Web and Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    Hmmm... will it work this time? Me hopes so... 'cause I can't deal with another Apple-gate right now... unless it's watching reruns of Married With Children... :D

I'm going to have to brush up on my Mandarin ... Hope they provide subtitles this time :D
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Hmmm... will it work this time? Me hopes so... 'cause I can't deal with another Apple-gate right now... unless it's watching reruns of Married With Children... :D

The million-dollar question is: are we required to know Chinese to watch the stream?
  • Reply 43 of 78
    pazuzu wrote: »

Not looking forward to listening to Tim Cook. Rather painful.

Indeed; couple that with a great stuttering stream in Chinese and there you go.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    pfisher wrote: »
    Why not, it's been way too long.

Why would they say something like that? It's been way too long. Admitting fault?

I recall a time when the company used to revamp it's announcement styles (images/graphs, etc). But it seems like nothing has changed for years. Starting to look a little stale.

Changes have been subtle. This last event was rather different. The product intro videos had absolutely no visuals of Apple people, just their voiceovers. Pretty sure Dr. Dre is advising on the music as well. The humor is back, now that everyone's stopped tiptoeing around the fact that Steve isn't around anymore.

Changes do take time. Tim's also building Apple itself, emphasized by not using "i" for the new products.

I think you're right -- I've read that it's fun to work at Apple, again -- not just 24/7 pressure ...

But from a customer, shareholder perspective -- Apple's gotten a little sloppy of late ... Nothing really major, but quite a few minor things.

I don't think it has risen to the point for major action, yet -- just some readjustment to get everyone motivated and working towards the same goals -- especially those of quality and schedules!

In the spirit of Scott Forstall, though ... Nothing motivates like a public crucifixion!
  • Reply 45 of 78
    pazuzu wrote: »
    macxpress wrote: »
    Listening to your negative BS is more painful...Tim actually does a pretty good job. He's come a long ways in a very short time. 

He's on stage less.

Watching the last keynote, I was quite impressed with Phil Schiller's 30 minute preso on the iPhone 6es ...

I was amazed how he stayed on point, for a long preso with that level of detail -- comfortable, jocular, never faltering ... without the aid of a teleprompter ...

Later, in Tim's finalie, my bubble burst -- when the camera panned back, showing a very large TV display facing the stage ...
  • Reply 46 of 78
    In other news ...

Following Meg Whitman's lead at HP, CEO Satya Nadella announced that they are going to split Microsoft into 1 company ...
  • Reply 47 of 78

My final interpretation of, 'It's been way too long':

A revolution in tv.

• Reply 48 of 78
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    My final interpretation of, 'It's been way too long':

A revolution in tv.

Now that would be amazing. As long as it's not a THICK CRT with a knob. LOL
  • Reply 49 of 78
    gtr wrote: »
    They may as well make these keynotes into a television series.

Now that would be cool!
    rogifan wrote: »
    You have to admit it was pretty embarrassing, especially considering it took at least 20 minutes for it to be fixed. But I suspect this event won't be hyped quite as much so the number of people attempting to watch will be a lot smaller.

IIRC all streams suffer from the massive amount of people trying to watch it, resulting in, well, a crap experience for the first part o the keynote. Hasn't that been the case with past streams in the US?
    pfisher wrote: »
    Why not, it's been way too long.

Why would they say something like that? It's been way too long. Admitting fault?

That or the colored Apple Logo is back?? ;)

That is so old school it should be back in style, like a freezer-burn compared to cool.
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm hopping at one of these events we'll see Angela Ahrendts on stage. Maybe at the ?Watch event next year they'll have her discuss the retail strategy for it. No doubt Apple stores will have to be revamped to accommodate it.

+1
  • Reply 50 of 78
    I had better brush up on my Chinese.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by otterfish View Post

5K Thunderbolt display

It's been way too long. Just hope there's a 30" display and not only 27".

Seems like a monitor isn't enough to warrant centering an entire event title around it. Same with Apple TV (Which hasn't been updated in years). 

• Reply 52 of 78
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    App;le -- Live -- Stream -- LOL!
  • Reply 53 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I think you're right -- I've read that it's fun to work at Apple, again -- not just 24/7 pressure ...

But from a customer, shareholder perspective -- Apple's gotten a little sloppy of late ... Nothing really major, but quite a few minor things.

I don't think it has risen to the point for major action, yet -- just some readjustment to get everyone motivated and working towards the same goals -- especially those of quality and schedules!

In the spirit of Scott Forstall, though ... Nothing motivates like a public crucifixion!

I would add, not as an excuse but a piece of realism to bear in mind, that the rising complexity of everything they're trying to integrate is going to result in more and more bugs.

They may arrive at a threshold from time to time, especially after they settle into the new HQ and recruit a new wave of people. But there will be rocky times ahead because they're doing the near impossible so routinely.

I don't know what to do with your last sentence, except to note that we've been haunted by that execution style for way too long.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Looking forward to this more than last month's:

Yosemite

Apple TV

iMac

Not looking forward to listening to Tim Cook. Rather painful.

Would love to see you on stage in front of tens of thousands of people, knowing there are millions more watching live, and presenting for the most watched technology event, for the most scrutinized company on the planet, and filling the most impossible shoes you can fill. You'd be a fucking slobbering, stuttering, pathetic mess, doubtful you would last a minute. Most of us rational people who are not doing our best to tear him down realize that Tim is just fine at presentations. He's confident, engaging, and hardly makes mistakes. No, he doesn't have the charisma or draw of Jobs, but noone else does, so thats an idiotic standard to hold him by.  

I suspect you haven't done a second of public speaking in your life, going by your posts. And please do us a favor and don't watch. And stop pretending your commentary is going to be anything than mocking and negativity towards everything they show. Noone on this board is more predictable than you.  

• Reply 55 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

You can always tell the fucking morons by the ones who slap on LOL at the end of their posts, not realizing that the humor of their comment is for others to judge, not themselves. No, adding LOL doesn't make your comment any funnier, you shitty troll. 

• Reply 56 of 78

When I read this story I spit coffee all over my iMac. I'm ready for StreaminGate.

• Reply 57 of 78
    flaneur wrote: »

I would add, not as an excuse but a piece of realism to bear in mind, that the rising complexity of everything they're trying to integrate is going to result in more and more bugs.

They may arrive at a threshold from time to time, especially after they settle into the new HQ and recruit a new wave of people. But there will be rocky times ahead because they're doing the near impossible so routinely.

I don't know what to do with your last sentence, except to note that we've been haunted by that execution style for way too long.

I agree with your points! Especially, since the WWDC, Apple is more open with their technology than they've been since the 1978 Apple ][. There is great potential for this openness -- but along with it comes the messiness of more, and public mistakes.

Case in point: Swift!

I am a great proponent of Swift and its potential -- from wearables to enterprise and everything in between).

However, we (Apple and Developers) are suffering the messiness of giving birth (or is it making sausage) ... not usually best done in public!

Swift has lots of potential, but it lacks a few required basic capabilities -- type conversion (especially string conversion), string manipulation (substrings) ... Emoji is a nice addition, but we need the basics, too.

Then there is the language syntax -- it is currently set in Jello -- each release of Xcode (every 2 weeks) brings a new challenge to make existing (working) code compile without error. Do we wrap or unwrap ...

I think this will all settle down -- but developers feel that Swift is somewhere between alpha and beta.

I hope they have this under control soon -- I expect the Xcode/Swift package to be released with Yosemite later this month or next!

/rant

As to the crucifixion ... I don't think that Tim suffers fools any more than Steve did ... just differently. I think that Tim allows more freedom and motivates people more positively ...

But this comes with a responsibility, too. Poor performers, or those not contributing to the team effort, must be challenged and given the opportunity to correct their ways. Failing that, cut them loose and move on!
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

IIRC all streams suffer from the massive amount of people trying to watch it, resulting in, well, a crap experience for the first part o the keynote. Hasn't that been the case with past streams in the US?

They tried to do too much. Watching a stream isn't the problem en masse, but then sending a side channel discussion on the same page [literally] telling people what they just saw... that was the issue.  

Modern data distribution networks (the dark fiber between Apple and it's CDN's and them to the major/minor ISPs/POPs) minimize the suffering.  If it were just that, the streams would suffer a lot less (there is always some level of bottleneck/throttling, but it can be localized and even managed better by distributing the tertiary and final multi-cast servers).

If the final external analysis is to believed, the liveblog code cause the CDNs to invalidate their cache continually, causing them to reload the base page (and interrupting the content stream).  As soon as they saw that, the restarted the stream possibly with a slighly different structure (separating the video/liveblog URLs into separate child frames), and this restart then caused all the M3U8 video chains (it's really not a live stream  it's a stream of small, recent video clips, like Mega HTTP packets, that are then delivered in series, and these are the things pushed to the CDNs... in short, by the time you get to the next clip, it's already on your computer, and the one after that is on the CDN server in your local ISPs Caching CDN appliance and it's downloading) to become  munged.   This overloaded the servers, and caused all sorts of session hell.  Eventually, the servers got to a stable session management state, and things got better.

The chinese voice over sounds like a secondary stream for the chinese apple website was getting merged into the primary stream instead of the appropriate sub stream.  The fact they had 2 music overlays on the English feed prior to the start of the event seems to indicate this a likely suspect.

A subtle side issue may have been we had the 2nd string doing the live event, as the Apple iTunes Festival was going on at the same time.

Between that last point, the fact that it's happened already, and What I think is a less attended event, this should come off flawlessly

• Reply 59 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ^ post

Thanks for a very interesting and in-depth technical view on how the delivery system works. Props to you for this.

So, basically, the streaming becoming better had nothing to do with (my) assumption that people just gave up after ?20 minutes?

Oh, I didn't have the Chinnese voice-over. [@]ThePixelDoc[/@]: did you experience that, in my neighbouring country?
  • Reply 60 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

You can always tell the fucking morons by the ones who slap on LOL at the end of their posts, not realizing that the humor of their comment is for others to judge, not themselves. No, adding LOL doesn't make your comment any funnier, you shitty troll. 

Shut up and go away.