Newly leaked parts purportedly show next-generation iPad with Touch ID fingerprint sensor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    So no laminated screen this around either it seems. That's a shame because the current Air's screen is not the best in sunlight, I was really hoping they would finally fix that.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't want Microsoft and Adobe to get too cozy.

I do. Let ‘em burn together.

Certainly not as long as iPad sales are flat to negative.

So never, then.

• Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

So no laminated screen this around either it seems. That's a shame because the current Air's screen is not the best in sunlight, I was really hoping they would finally fix that.

I noticed that the 6 screen was more vivid than the 6 Plus. The contrast is a little higher in the 6, so that seems to count for a lot.

• Reply 24 of 34
    Stylus support is a Microsoft talking point.

As we all know there have been stylus for Apple iPad for years. This is akin to suggesting that the Microsoft Surface is superior due to the keyboard. Apple iPad has supported wireless keyboards for years.

RAM is another talking point for competitors. If Apple iOS was less efficient then RAM might be an issue. Competitors appear to need three to four times the RAM of iOS devices to maintain similar performance.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    A8X, cool.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

As we all know there have been stylus for Apple iPad for years.

It's not even remotely the same thing. It's as ridiculous as saying the Magic Trackpad for the iMac is just as good as a Wacom digitizer since both can be used with a stylus.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's not even remotely the same thing. It's as ridiculous as saying the Magic Trackpad for the iMac is just as good as a Wacom digitizer since both can be used with a stylus.

Can you expand on this comment?

Why is Microsoft Surface better than stylus available for Apple iPad, for example Applydea Maglus.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Can you expand on this comment?

Why is Microsoft Surface better than stylus available for Apple iPad, for example Applydea Maglus.

If you're only using a stylus, I guess it would come down to the SW, but with a digitizer — note the MS Surface 1 and 2 used one from Wacom and but the 3 uses an N-trig digitizer — you use a digital pen.

This is a HW feature I've been wanting Apple to include in the iPad (and now the iPhones) for years. I don't even expect them to sell any of their own digital pens, just offer the HW, frameworks, and APIs and then let the 3rd-party app and 3rd-party HW developers do their thing for those that would like to use their iDevices with something better than a finger-like stylus. That might even be coming since the ?Watch is able to sense pressure, although that comes in the opposite way that a digital pen senses pressure, and is probably not nearly as sensitive.

Here is a decent comparison of the digitizer companies MS has used for their Surface

There are also plenty of YouTube videos that demo every digitizer and digital pen on the market.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    mde24mde24 Posts: 27member

Seems to suggest higher resolution displays: the A7 can drive an iPad display and the A8 has more pixel-pushing power than that so to need additional graphics cores resonates with the @3x sprites that we've seen. iPad Air at 3072 x 2304 resolution?

• Reply 30 of 34
    If you're only using a stylus, I guess it would come down to the SW, but with a digitizer — note the MS Surface 1 and 2 used one from Wacom and but the 3 uses an N-trig digitizer — you use a digital pen.

This is a HW feature I've been wanting Apple to include in the iPad (and now the iPhones) for years. I don't even expect them to sell any of their own digital pens, just offer the HW, frameworks, and APIs and then let the 3rd-party app and 3rd-party HW developers do their thing for those that would like to use their iDevices with something better than a finger-like stylus. That might even be coming since the ?Watch is able to sense pressure, although that comes in the opposite way that a digital pen senses pressure, and is probably not nearly as sensitive.

Here is a decent comparison of the digitizer companies MS has used for their Surface

There are also plenty of YouTube videos that demo every digitizer and digital pen on the market.

Maybe Apple could market the iPad as a true artist's tablet if they added stylus/digitizer support... but that's still a relatively small subset of users.

Apple was able to sell 200 million iPads without proper stylus support... so it's not like they were hurt by the lack of it.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Another leak ... So that's another $50M in Apple's in box I presume.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Not the same. The iPad needs a digitizer to have the same features of the Surface, Galaxy Note, and other touch devices on the market.

Yep. Anything less than Wacom-level pen quality is a non-starter for me. I've tried many of the current pen offerings for iPad and have found them all wanting. As a touch device iPad is still without equal.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

As we all know there have been stylus for Apple iPad for years. This is akin to suggesting that the Microsoft Surface is superior due to the keyboard. Apple iPad has supported wireless keyboards for years.

RAM is another talking point for competitors. If Apple iOS was less efficient then RAM might be an issue. Competitors appear to need three to four times the RAM of iOS devices to maintain similar performance.
    So tell me then why my Safari tabs constantly reload (and Safari sometimes crashes). Samr with app switching. More often than not when I'm switching between apps (even if I was just recent in an app) they reload. Also I noticed Safari isn't very smooth when on a website that has lots of graphics. As you scroll down the page you see all this white space as Safari is loading the content. That's not a RAM issue? That's iOS being more efficient? If it's not a RAM issue than Apple has some pretty poor software engineers on the iOS team.

But let's say the new iPads come with 2GB RAM. What is your talking points then? Is iOS no longer efficient?
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Originally Posted by mde24 View Post

the A8 has more pixel-pushing power

But struggles with the 6 Plus, so…

iPad Air at 3072 x 2304 resolution? 

Makes zero sense.