As new Fitbit models loom, Apple Stores set to stop selling its HealthKit-incompatible devices

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited October 2014
Apple Stores will reportedly stop selling Fitbit products, which are not compatible with the HealthKit tools in iOS 8, as a new model with heart rate sensing capabilities is expected to hit the market soon.

Citing unnamed sources, Re/code reported on Wednesday that Apple apparently plans to stop selling Fitbit devices at its stores "soon." No reason was given for the change, but Apple plans to get into the fitness tracking market itself early next year with the launch of the Apple Watch.

The report comes after Fitbit said on its official community forums last week that the company currently does not have any plans to integrate with HealthKit, Apple's developer tools for health and fitness related data. Fitbit said it has been "evaluating integration with HealthKit" since it was announced, but noted that Apple's solution only works on the iOS platform.

But the company also suggested it could change course if there is enough demand among users.

"Your voices are being heard," the company said. "We're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team."

Apple's retail stores also carry fitness tracking devices from other companies, including the Jawbone Up, Nike Fuelband, Wahoo Tickr Heart Rate Monitor, Withings Pulse O2 Activity Tracker, and many more. Wednesday's report said it is "unclear" whether Apple will continue selling those other devices that could compete with its own watch.

Apple stores currently carry both the wrist-worn Fitbit Flex, and the smaller Fitbit One activity trackers, which sell for $99.95 each. But the company has a pair of new models expected to hit the market soon, the details of which were leaked this week by Gizmodo.

Marketing materials for the anticipated new hardware reveal the Fitbit Charge and Charge HR. The Charge appears to be a reworked version of the Fitbit Force, which was recalled earlier this year because of apparent skin irritation issues.

The Fitbit Charge HR includes heart rate monitoring, which would be a new feature for Fitbit devices and a function bringing it into more direct competition with the Apple Watch. The materials suggest the wrist-worn device will track a user's heart rate all day, and provide feedback for better calorie tracking and cardiovascular training.

Both the Charge and Charge HR are also shown to track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. They'll also offer basic wrist notifications, displaying statistics, time and caller ID from a connected device like an iPhone.

The Charge models are also shown to monitor sleep quality and include a silent vibrating alarm. They're also water and sweat resistant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12

The FitBit and upcoming iWatch are different enough products, the two companies don't have to be at odds.  Apple should keep selling FitBits if Apple Store customers want them and FitBit should add iOS8 integration.

• Reply 2 of 12

I'm livid that Fitbit isn't integrating with HealthKit, personally. Part of the reason I bought a Fitbit Flex over the summer was in anticipation of HealthKit and the Health app, because it sounded like a no-brainer to me: a way for Fitbit to push its device as the perfect companion to the iPhone. Which equals more sales. Which equals big big moneys.

Good riddance. There are a lot of other device manufacturers who are on board with HealthKit, so why wouldn't Apple promote them over a company that doesn't want to play ball? If Fitbit wants its platform to directly compete with Apple, that's fine. It's their choice as a business. Apple doesn't have to sell their stuff.

I'm holding off on ditching my Flex for now, because I don't feel like buying a new device if I'm just going to get the ?Watch next year anyway. But I've been paying less and less attention to it ever since Fitbit announced their (lack of) plans. 

• Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

The FitBit and upcoming iWatch are different enough products, the two companies don't have to be at odds.  Apple should keep selling FitBits if Apple Store customers want them and FitBit should add iOS8 integration.

Apple likely isn't doing this because Fitbit will be competing in the same relative category as the ?Watch. A fitness tracker IS a lot different from what Apple will be producing. I am willing to bet that the largest reason for their decision is that Fitbit is trying to compete with HealthKit AS A PLATFORM.

If there are already plenty of device manufacturers that are perfectly content to integrate with the HealthKit API, why would Apple sell a competitor's products that don't do so? It doesn't make any sense. It'd be like Apple selling a bunch of accessories that meet their MFi standards, but also selling HIGHER PROFILE competing accessories that do not meet MFi standards. Fitbit is the activity tracking industry's star player at present time. If they don't want to play ball with Apple and do right by the customers, then Apple has no reason to provide them a level playing field in Apple's own stores.

• Reply 4 of 12

Nope... Apple should only sell products that are completing the EcoSystem.  Fitbit has decided to go against HealthKit and that is enough to drop them like a piece of coal.  The decision by Fitbit is annoying as hell to existing customers.  I am trying to get a refund without success.

• Reply 5 of 12
    On one hand, Apple has only so much space in its retail stores; on the other, will it be wise to squeeze out competitors from its retail stores? Perhaps they'll still sell fitbit on the Apple online store?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by docwallaby View Post

I'm livid that Fitbit isn't integrating with HealthKit, personally. Part of the reason I bought a Fitbit Flex over the summer was in anticipation of HealthKit and the Health app, because it sounded like a no-brainer to me: a way for Fitbit to push its device as the perfect companion to the iPhone. Which equals more sales. Which equals big big moneys.

Good riddance. There are a lot of other device manufacturers who are on board with HealthKit, so why wouldn't Apple promote them over a company that doesn't want to play ball? If Fitbit wants its platform to directly compete with Apple, that's fine. It's their choice as a business. Apple doesn't have to sell their stuff.

I'm holding off on ditching my Flex for now, because I don't feel like buying a new device if I'm just going to get the ?Watch next year anyway. But I've been paying less and less attention to it ever since Fitbit announced their (lack of) plans. 

Withings took a week or two but now the Pulse O2 integrates directly with Apple Health.  I found a workaround before Withings updated to Apple Health. Withings software can be set up to share some of its data with MyFitnessPal, and MyFitnessPal connected with Apple Health almost from day one. Does Fitbit software allow sharing with other AppleHealth comparable software?

• Reply 7 of 12
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But the company also suggested it could change course if there is enough demand among users.

"Your voices are being heard," the company said. "We're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team."

Understatement of the Year.

• Reply 8 of 12
    Fitbit had plenty of time to ask customers if they wanted Health integration before iOS 8 debuted. To ask now is a disservice to their users who are Apple users.

Good riddance. My Fitbit One and Aria scale will be on eBay this weekend. My iPhone 6 replaced the One for tracking my steps and an iHealth scale (that measures far more data points) replaced the Aria.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I'm kind of peeved at the whole Fitbit/HealthKit thing, too. I've been using Fitbit trackers because they seem to be reliable, and the tracking software works pretty well. But not connecting to HealthKit means I'll have to get something else. Maybe an AppleWatch. Certainly glad I never got around to buying their scale, as it's more expensive than the Withings one, and now I know it won't connect to HealthKit.

Also, ever since I had to buy a replacement band for my Flex, I've had skin irritation problems. Don't know if they're as bad as they were for the Force (which never showed up here), but it's annoying. Especially as there isn't any zinc (or other metal) involved.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Apple doesn't just play hardball rather than softball. It plays hardball using bats and cleats as weapons. In this case the weapon is selling in Apple stores.

Personally, I'm not impressed by either company's behavior. Both are creating a hassle for their customers: Fitbit for not linking to HealthKit like many of its customers expected, and Apple for not selling what is still useful equipment and offering to help Fitbit make the transition.

Call it the Amazon disease%u2014mistreating your customers to gain advantage in a corporate squabble. It's not working for Amazon. I doubt it will work for Fitbit or Apple. Even if Fitbit adds HealthKit support, it's likely to do so with a grievance. Apple should use carrots not the threat of sticks. Deal with why it doesn't want to plunge into HealthKit.

More and more, I'm concluding that quite a few corporate executives never really grew up. If you remember grade school, you remember the little boys who went off into the bushes to engage in pissing contests. Corporate executives apparently never outgrew that. They always trying to out-pee this competitor or that supplier.

That's stupid. Compete by providing the best product or services at the best price. For the consequences of not doing that, both companies should read the other postings. They're not good for Apple for Fitbit.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

The rollout by Garmin on their app to integrate with HealthKit was a gigantic fail - their app simply doesn't work. That said, HealthKit doesn't seem to understand that when I'm cycling, it shouldn't be counting my steps. HealthKit actually has a long way to go. I rather expect a third party dev to come up with an editor of some sort for it so you can at least bulk delete the steps counted in a certain time period during the day.

Seems like Health itself could have a rudimentary way to record cycling distance and calorie. All it needs to be told is start/stop. It has onboard GPS to know where you went (elevation, distance, speed) and a simple algorythm would suffice for an approximation of calories. Fortunately, Strava already does this.

The fitbit stand alone thingy, other than a non chest strap heart rate monitor seems kinda pointless. But to each their own, I suppose. If fitbit makes them for about $50, it might be ok for some people; and I think Apple is ok with that race to the bottom of pricing.