Adreno-powered Nexus 6, Galaxy Note 4 deliver poor graphics performance vs. iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151

I thought Samsung fudges benchmark scores with "benchmark mode acceleration" for the processor.... Did they stop?  Or is this in spite of the fudging?

• Reply 22 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

How the **** is the headline misleading

The headline says the Nexus 6 is a poor performer, but there is no test of a Nexus 6.

You're right though, it's not misleading, it's a lie, or at least a hopeful prediction.

• Reply 23 of 151

Loving my Plus.

• Reply 24 of 151
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A bit surprised that Android5.x Lollipop will be coming to the old Nexus 4's and original Nexus 7 (2012). I thought Google had considered 18 months as the update limit ( I read that here IIRC), but apparently that's not accurate. That old Nexus 7 is more than two years old now, dating back to June of 2012. I still have that one, dragging it out once in awhile for reading magazines. Still not sold on the need for tablets, personally preferring devices with attached keyboards if I want to use something larger than a smartphone.

Yeah I know I can buy tablet keyboards but why? If you need a keyboard why not get one integrated with the device and display in the first place? Apple sells 'em as do many others. I suppose if money has little importance having multiple form-factors laying around for specific uses is all fine and good.

Google strictly enforced its "18 month" limit as an excuse to stop providing updates for the Galaxy Nexus primarily because it used a TI OMAP chip, which is no longer being developed.  

But being excited about a moderate software update going back 2 years (2012-2014) requires that you really be a die hard Android fan. If Apple only supported iOS 8 on iPhone 5 or later, people would find it shocking. 

• Reply 25 of 151
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

The headline says the Nexus 6 is a poor performer, but there is no test of a Nexus 6.

You're right though, it's not misleading, it's a lie, or at least a hopeful prediction.

Since the Nexus 6 and the Note 4 share the same processor and GPU and similar speeds, the assumption would be that they give similar numbers.  I assume that is how the author came up with the headline.  

• Reply 26 of 151
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Nexus 6 is essentially the same as a Droid Turbo. Want to bet your nuts on a "hopeful prediction" that it performs any better than the other Motorola phone with the same screen resolution, same processor, same software and developed by the same company? Here let me get you a pair of scissors. 

• Reply 27 of 151
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    There are so many variables here that contribute to performance it's hard to even know where to begin. Is Qualcomm to blame or Samsung with the 500Million software layers? Would be better to compare stock Android on this device with the same test rerun. That would at least tell you if the software is sucking too much from performance.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    I'm an apple user and a Samsung user too and I enjoy both devices though I'm not much into smart phones but I think it's too poor of you to be so biased. the note 3 is fast and does everything I like (including multi window) perfectly and so the iPhone. I don't care how fast other latest phones will be. how fast these devices are is enough for anyone's liking regardless of jealousy or hatred. post strictly on Apple and be JUST, people will have no doubt in visiting your site. not by trying to tarnish other flagships images simply because you're being paid or you can't resist the jealousy, or because you hate the fact that you see what you can't have. habit of all Apple users. and whenever an iPhone has much clarity or whatever, y'all will stfu and be happy. same thing on large screen, after the hype critics, now y'all are dying for it.
  • Reply 29 of 151
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    Apple doesn't market specs because the vast majority of their customers don't care about specs. you're on a niche tech enthusiast website, where people are interested in them.

did you really need that explained?

It was a rhetorical question really. if Android did 64-bit first people here would be saying it's useless and doesn't matter. Apple does it first then all of a sudden it matters even though to the average person the only benefit right now appears to be Touch ID. Having a 64-bit SOC doesn't improve the Safari experience on iPad. It's still crap for the most part. It would be nice if Apple would highlight the specific benefits of 64 bit. When you go to the App Store is there any way of distingushing which apps are taking advantage of 64-bit?
  • Reply 30 of 151
    euphonious wrote: »
    Can you just clarify something for me, Dilger - is Samsung's devotion to extremely high resolution numbers a spec list checkmark? You said it twice in the article, so I thought you might like to say it a third time in the comments. Hey - if you posted under one of the additional usernames you use when you want to comment on an article without being associated with it, maybe you could say it a fourth or fifth time!

But seriously, do you even proofread this drivel?

Uh oh, I think someone just spent a bunch of money on a second rate smartphone.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It depends.

Performance matters of course. That's what's most important.

Apple devices in many cases deliver far superior performance compared to Android devices, even though the specs on paper might be less. 

Specs are often very deceiving, because most people, including Fandroids, are too stupid to understand them, and figure out how they actually relate to real world performance. What good is a shitty quad core Android phone if another dual core Phone has better performance? What good is a 2.7 Ghz processor if another 1.9 Ghz processor is more powerful? What good is a big battery if your phone only lasts a few hours?

And what good is specs at all, if your phone is running Android, which is complete garbage?

Specs mean f-k all to me. Its the user experience that matters to me. And Apple has work to do with iOS 8. Hopefully iOS 8.1 is released soon (tomorrow perhaps?) and fixes most of these issues.
  • Reply 32 of 151
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A bit surprised that Android5.x Lollipop will be coming to the old Nexus 4's and original Nexus 7 (2012). I thought Google had considered 18 months as the update limit ( I read that here IIRC), but apparently that's not accurate. That old Nexus 7 is more than two years old now, dating back to June of 2012. I still have that one, dragging it out once in awhile for reading magazines. Still not sold on the need for tablets, personally preferring devices with attached keyboards if I want to use something larger than a smartphone.

Yeah I know I can buy tablet keyboards but why? If you need a keyboard why not get one integrated with the device and display in the first place? Apple sells 'em as do many others. I suppose if money has little importance having multiple form-factors laying around for specific uses is all fine and good.

Assuming the service providers allow the update, I am on an 18 month old Android on 4.1 and Google and AT&T both say it eligible to upgrade to 4.4, has it happen hell no AT&T has not approved the upgrade and they problem never will since it means I could use the phone longer and they does not help the Android manufactures. This is where Apple has won all the way around the service providers have not say so when you can upgrade an apple product.

• Reply 33 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Since the Nexus 6 and the Note 4 share the same processor and GPU and similar speeds, the assumption would be that they give similar numbers.  I assume that is how the author came up with the headline.  

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Nexus 6 is essentially the same as a Droid Turbo. 

I'm happy that we all agree that the headline is misleading.

• Reply 34 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Specs mean f-k all to me. Its the user experience that matters to me. And Apple has work to do with iOS 8. Hopefully iOS 8.1 is released soon (tomorrow perhaps?) and fixes most of these issues.

Same here. I find the Android experience more enjoyable for myself, and I'm looking forward to the new stuff. I have only spent a little time on iOS 8 on my daughter's phone, but I do like iOS 7 quite a bit for quick tasks I need to do on those devices.

Tasker trumps any specs, in my book.

• Reply 35 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Nexus 6 is essentially the same as a Droid Turbo. Want to bet your nuts on a "hopeful prediction" that it performs any better than the other Motorola phone with the same screen resolution, same processor, same software and developed by the same company? Here let me get you a pair of scissors. 

There is no test of that phone either.

• Reply 36 of 151

hey author, you ever compare video quality of a dvd player vs blu-ray? how about an over priced phone with last year specs (ie 1920x1080 resolution) vs todays 2k resolution phones. how about you get those iPhone specs and run it against a 2k display...oh i forgot...you have to wait 2 years for the iphone 7 in order to do that. 

• Reply 37 of 151
    I'm an apple user and a Samsung user too and I enjoy both devices though I'm not much into smart phones but I think it's too poor of you to be so biased. the note 3 is fast and does everything I like (including multi window) perfectly and so the iPhone. I don't care how fast other latest phones will be. how fast these devices are is enough for anyone's liking regardless of jealousy or hatred. post strictly on Apple and be JUST, people will have no doubt in visiting your site. not by trying to tarnish other flagships images simply because you're being paid or you can't resist the jealousy, or because you hate the fact that you see what you can't have. habit of all Apple users. and whenever an iPhone has much clarity or whatever, y'all will stfu and be happy. same thing on large screen, after the hype critics, now y'all are dying for it.
  • Reply 38 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

No we don't. That's because our iPhone 4S still outperforms anything on Android and does it's job. You don't need to lust after bigger numbers if you're happy with what you have.

have you tried to turn your wifi off? increase/decrease screen brightness, turn on wifi hospot, with just an easy shortcut. oh...i forgot, iOS makes you go into the settings each time to do this. 

• Reply 39 of 151

rather have an 8k 1fps phone than a bent 1080p phone any day

• Reply 40 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

So sad to see such a young man be so bitter. You sound like the old men I knew in my youth that were still bitter that the Dodgers left Brooklyn some 30 years later.

You're very intelligent, but your constant condescending tone to people here is juvenile. Grow up, and learn some diplomacy.