Live from Apple's 'It's been way too long iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 & Retina iMac event

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Join us as we join Apple in Cupertino this Thursday, October 16th, for the anticipated launch of the iPad 2, iPad mini 3 with Retina display, Mac OS X "Yosemite" & ApplePay




If you aren't redirected to our live feed in 3 seconds, click here.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 26
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,227member

    I dont see how incremental ipad upgrades and a retina imac is related to "its been way too long" text on the invitation...

     

    also, I dont see how this year is the best launch of new products in Apple history....  imo we are missing a big new product for that statement to be true.

  • Reply 2 of 26
    herbapou wrote: »
    I dont see how incremental ipad upgrades and a retina imac is related to "its been way too long" text on the invitation...

    also, I dont see how this year is the best launch of new products in Apple history....  imo we are missing a big new product for that statement to be true.

    It wouldn't matter what they come out with, it wouldn't be enough.

    Yeah that body teleporter is cool, but honestly I wanted a Mac mini, and I heard the teleporter bends anyways.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,630member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

     

    I dont see how incremental ipad upgrades and a retina imac is related to "its been way too long" text on the invitation...

     

    also, I dont see how this year is the best launch of new products in Apple history....  imo we are missing a big new product for that statement to be true.




    Like what? What ‘big new’ product? A cotton candy machine that talks to you? A TV with an Apple TV built in (not new at all)? Oh, ooo, I know, that headless Mac tower that the nerds have been clamoring for for the past ten years?

  • Reply 4 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What are the chances of getting iPhone like displays on iPads?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    none.

    too expensive

    So I guess I keep my Air then. Touch ID isn't a big enough reason to upgrade.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    So I guess I keep my Air then. Touch ID isn't a big enough reason to upgrade.

     

    Ditto. And I don't expect them to drop in NFC for either iPad models (or the IMO longshot 13".)

     

    @sog35 - I agree. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple releases new icons on AppleTV for not just HBO, but others (that haven't spoken up.)

  • Reply 7 of 26

    Reports this morning of CBS "All Access" streaming service.  This and HBO service at the same time as "Its's been way too long" and TC's comments on Charlie Rose have me thinking Apple TV is about to get a major update.  I could be wrong but that is the best guess for the announcement tagline.  

  • Reply 8 of 26
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

    os a solid 11 for that matter. ;)

  • Reply 9 of 26

    I'm betting on a redesigned MacMini and/or AppleTV along side the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini.

  • Reply 10 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 3,946member
    I'm hoping for a new iPod with 256 GB of flash storage. The Touch has been a good gateway product to get people without phones into the Apple ecosystem. Maybe one based on the 6 Plus and another small form factor device for active use. A new nano that can stream audio and video to Apple TV would be great.

    A new Apple TV with enough content delivery to allow me to kick my cable company to the curb would rock
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    What are the chances of getting iPhone like displays on iPads?

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    none.

     

    too expensive


     

    Different display tech. iPhones use LTPS displays, which are more expensive to produce. iPads use IGZO, which are cheaper. The primary difference is that LTPS consumes about 30% less power than IGZO (which isn't exactly power hungry to begin with) and makes more sense in an iPhone, where battery size is limited.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post



    I'm hoping for a new iPod with 256 GB of flash storage. The Touch has been a good gateway product to get people without phones into the Apple ecosystem. Maybe one based on the 6 Plus and another small form factor device for active use. A new nano that can stream audio and video to Apple TV would be great.



    A new Apple TV with enough content delivery to allow me to kick my cable company to the curb would rock

     

    I have a feeling the Touch may go larger, like 5.5", and become the iPad Nano. I've noticed on Apple's store under "Shop iPod" it only shows the outline of the Nano and Shuffle now. It may not have a Retina HD screen (similar to how the 4th gen iPod didn't have a true Retina display) but it is possible. If they did that cheap enough I would seriously consider buying it, even having a 4.7" iPhone. It'd be a good size between my Air and 6, and it'd be a good cheap way for me to see if I could live with a larger iPhone next time.

  • Reply 12 of 26
    lkrupp wrote: »

    Like what? What ‘big new’ product? A cotton candy machine that talks to you? A TV with an Apple TV built in (not new at all)? Oh, ooo, I know, that headless Mac tower that the nerds have been clamoring for for the past ten years?

    A cerebral cortex personal massager.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

    New TV product.

    The HBO standalone streaming should have clued people in.

     

    its been way too long.......

    that you had to pay for TV channels you don't want.


    Wonder whether you'll really end up saving at all though,

    once you're paying in bits and pieces

    "for only the specific things you wanted"...?

     

    But I like your interpretation of the catchphrase.

  • Reply 14 of 26
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

     

    Wonder whether you'll really end up saving at all though,

    once you're paying in bits and pieces

    "for only the specific things you wanted"...?

     

    But I like your interpretation of the catchphrase.




    Probably going to depend on the volume of consumption: wholesale lots only make sense if you need the large amounts. A big part of why I don't shop at the big box discounters: the savings don't justify all that extra storage I'd need as a single person household... Bundles will work for the large consumer, ala carte for people with smaller needs and with so much sorts, news and weather shifting to internet platforms a big chunk of specialized content is available elsewhere than the standard television model and in a  more convenient form.

  • Reply 15 of 26

    Pixelmator FTW!

  • Reply 16 of 26
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

    ...sometimes you want to hold it in your hand and touch it... sometimes you want to sit at a big screen...

     

    AND SOMETIMES YOU WANT TO SIT ON YOUR SOFA AND WATCH TV!

     

    Where was the missing piece.... watch all the way to TV product or Apple TV update!?

     

    Would have been so perfect!!!

  • Reply 17 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,040member

    I have one thing to announce: 

    Sog35 will be banned for 1 week for Apple MediaCenter was not revealed today.

  • Reply 18 of 26
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

    Excellent show with an intimate setting matching how everyone was relaxed and comfortable (I particularly liked Phil Schiller in this one), great new thin powerful antireflective iPad (and a great chance for every dime a dozen analyst, punter and troll to put down the pixels of the screen, as if they matter at this resolution, as if it's a good idea to have people writing and re-writing apps every 6 months for nothing and for 200+ different screen sizes and pixel counts, as if it makes sense to get an uber high pixel count and kill your gpu with it)

     

    Great line up, stunning new iMac at an incredible price, super capable new mac mini with tb2 and a good gip, and with a price cut. 

     

    Good times. 

     

    Kudos to everyone

  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    I have one thing to announce: 

    Sog35 will be banned for 1 week for Apple MediaCenter was not revealed today.


    So, I tried searching and couldn't find the conversation behind this and my curiosity is getting to me.

     

    Someone explain for me?

  • Reply 20 of 26
    Originally Posted by AtDIelement View Post

    Someone explain for me?


     

    Instead of accepting his often nonsense opinions are just that, and instead of providing a string of logic to follow in thinking the way he does, the user often demands that others “bet” him on the validity of his statements. The loser is supposed to “ban himself” from this website.

     

    It’d be funny if it wasn’t sad.

Sign In or Register to comment.