OS X Yosemite & new iWork available for free on the Mac App Store today

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2014
Apple's free next-generation Mac operating system, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, will hit the Mac App Store today, packing in an all-new design, Continuity and Handoff with iOS 8. In addition, a redesigned iWork suite is also set to launch as a free download.

OS X Yosemite

Apple software chief Craig Federighi demonstrated many of the new features of Yosemite at a media event in Cupertino, Calif., on Thursday, chief among them the new Continuity and Handoff features, which allow users to seamlessly transition between their Mac and their iOS devices.

Apple also shined a light on less-touted features like highly efficient operation in Safari, which helps with battery life when streaming video and performing other processor intensive operations.

Also demonstrated on Thursday were new versions of Numbers, Keynote and Pages, which encompass the company's iLife suite. The applications feature a new, flatter design that is in line with the changes made to OS X Yosemite.

The final public version includes support for iCloud Drive, which brings easy cross-platform file sharing to Mac, iOS and even Windows devices. Mail has also been upgraded with Markup features and support for the iCloud-based Mail Drop for sending files up to 5GB in size.

Finally, Yosemite comes with the redesigned iTunes 12.

The full list of Yosemite features spotlighted by Apple are:
  • Today view in Notification Center, giving you quick access to informative widgets for Calendar, Weather, Stocks, Reminders, World Clock and social networks. You can also add widgets like Yahoo! Sports from the Mac App Store to customize your Today view;
  • a new Spotlight, delivering rich information right to your desktop from Wikipedia, Maps, Bing, App Store, iTunes Store, iBooks Store, top websites, news and movie showtimes;
  • iCloud Drive, so you can store files of any type in iCloud, organize them any way you like, and access them from your Mac, iPhone, iPad or even a Windows PC;
  • a streamlined new Safari that delivers the fastest performance, as well as the longest battery life for web browsing and Netflix HD video streaming on the Mac;
  • an updated version of Mail, which includes Markup for quickly filling out and signing forms and PDFs right within Mail, plus Mail Drop, which makes it easy to send large attachments up to 5GB for free;
  • enhanced Messages, so now you can add participants to your ongoing group conversations, see their locations on a map, quickly access attachments and even mute notifications;
  • iTunes 12, which has a sleek new look, is fast and simple to use, and makes it easier to switch between browsing your music library and discovering new music on the iTunes Store. A new Recents view makes it easy to access the media you just purchased or recently played; and
  • Family Sharing, so family members can now browse and download each other's iTunes, iBooks or Mac App Store purchases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    :)
  • Reply 2 of 46
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Thank you Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 46
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Gutted, misread the headline and went straight to the Mac App store, Yosesmite not there yet. 

• Reply 4 of 46
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Let's hope it's not that buggy.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    There's a typo in this article: Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are part of the iWork suite (not iLife).
  • Reply 6 of 46
    bp83bp83 Posts: 1member

Darn....Me too!

• Reply 7 of 46
    It takes longer than usual until the update shows up in the Mac App Store. Normally the update is available even before the Keynote is over... I guess I need to wait until tomorrow (CEST)
  • Reply 8 of 46
    I'm gonna go get me some
  • Reply 9 of 46
    Craig should be running Apple- at lease he knows how to tuck his shirt in and is engaging.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Craig should be running Apple- at lease he knows how to tuck his shirt in and is engaging.

Yeah, except all software development is under him, and we know how Apple's been doing in that department.

• Reply 11 of 46
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Yeah, except all software development is under him, and we know how Apple's been doing in that department.

Beautifully.

• Reply 12 of 46
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Not in Canadian store yet.

• Reply 13 of 46
    My App Store still says "Mavericks." Wish Apple would update the App Store while announcing, so that what they announce is available after the presentation.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    Quote:

Quote:

Beautifully.

Um…Aperture?

• Reply 15 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    nitewing98 wrote: »
    My App Store still says "Mavericks." Wish Apple would update the App Store while announcing, so that what they announce is available after the presentation.

I seem to recall they normally do. This seems a longer delay than usual. I'm hoping it is soon before too many folk get home from work and we can beat the rush :)
  • Reply 16 of 46

Beautifully.

You forgot your /s.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    Anyone seeing this in the App Store yet?
  • Reply 18 of 46

Next year.

• Reply 19 of 46
    Originally Posted by cacticritter View Post

Um…Aperture?

What about it?

You forgot your /s.

You forgot your justification.

• Reply 20 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

So Craig should be running Apple cause he's an engaging speaker? Always enlightening to see the sheer superficiality and grotesque childishness of your thought process. And who would take his place as head of software then? How would being CEO enhance his development strengths and help the company or its products? My bad, you haven't thought that far ahead yet, like 100% of your troll posts. About as idiotic as the "Jony Ive should have been CEO" posts. As if Jony's time would be best spend dealing with CEO bullshit, and not actually designing.