Apple releases iOS 8.1 with Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, SMS relay, iCloud Photo Library

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 118
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

     

     

    The screen rotation issues, along with Mobile Safari's inability to actually select text, and the glitchy video playback have been the three most annoying iOS bugs I've ever seen.  All are common use cases, and missing those bugs shows a lack of adequate testing.


     

    i haven't experienced the rotation of video bugs -- so capturing the conditions that lead to it via testing are probably not as simple as you seem to believe. but then, i find things often seem simple to those not involved with them, regardless of field.

  • Reply 82 of 118
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

    For those wondering. Cards in passbook and passbook shows recent purchases.

     

    Okay, "recent purchases".

     

    What about a running tally of your receipts? Does it have that? What good is it if I can't get to my history to mark down for my own records or for noting balance?


     

    This is fine for coffee, fast food, etc. but how are returns for more durable goods going to work if the app doesn't pull up receipts?  Or do I still need paper receipts for those types of returnable items?

  • Reply 83 of 118
    blkstr360 wrote: »
    Note to Apple/Walgreens, let reward cards work with NFC too so I don't have to let the cashier scan the Passbook card, then tap, authenticate, then tap again, then press the "ok" on the POS.

    Ok. ?Done. Thanks for using ?pay ...

    Now, could we interest you in making further ?pay purchases? Perhaps from this very web page? You could perhaps choose among what Google & Facebook have chosen for you, as your interests have been thoroughly tracked, analyzed & reflected in ads displayed here by AppleInsider, your whereabouts tracked to this IP and monitored 24/7 by the NSA.

    Now, you can buy with confidence, knowing your privacy is of great interest to everyone. Pay for it, with ?pay .
  • Reply 84 of 118
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

    This is fine for coffee, fast food, etc. but how are returns for more durable goods going to work if the app doesn't pull up receipts?  Or do I still need paper receipts for those types of returnable items?




    You'll still have access to all your transactions from your card's balance sheet or whatever, right? But going there is a pain.

  • Reply 85 of 118
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

     

     

    The screen rotation issues, along with Mobile Safari's inability to actually select text, and the glitchy video playback have been the three most annoying iOS bugs I've ever seen.  All are common use cases, and missing those bugs shows a lack of adequate testing.


     

    i haven't experienced the rotation of video bugs -- so capturing the conditions that lead to it via testing are probably not as simple as you seem to believe. but then, i find things often seem simple to those not involved with them, regardless of field.


     

    Most of my screen rotation issues for 8.0.x were resolved by turning off Reachability.  Mad props to the anonymous MR reader who clued me in on that.  So this was at least common enough over on MR that I was able to find how other people with the same issues who managed to find ways to work around the problems. 

     

    And it can't have been too rare if the fix got its own shout-out in the 8.1 release notes:

     

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

     


    • Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working


  • Reply 86 of 118
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,740member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

    This is fine for coffee, fast food, etc. but how are returns for more durable goods going to work if the app doesn't pull up receipts?  Or do I still need paper receipts for those types of returnable items?




    You'll still have access to all your transactions from your card's balance sheet or whatever, right? But going there is a pain.


     

    Yes, exactly.  But it's common at department stores and big box stores to be able to look up receipts based on the credit card used to pay for the purchase.  It seems to me the fly in the ointment would be if Apple Pay/NFC payments lost that ability.

  • Reply 87 of 118
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
    So Ive tried Apple Pay at two places and it worked flawlessly both times.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

    So Ive tried Apple Pay at two places and it worked flawlessly both times.

     

    I'll bet he tried at a few more places than that.

  • Reply 89 of 118
    netmage wrote: »
    Did you set up a debit card?

    Yes I set up four cards.

    I have tried it at McDonald's (x2), Panera, Walgreens, and ToyRUs.

    Toysrus and Walgreens both asked for a pin. Toys R Us would not process. All others worked perfectly.
  • Reply 90 of 118
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Guess I won't be using it, then. Shame.




    yeah, because there aren't any redeeming qualities or reasons to use AP if you don't get that feature at launch. 

  • Reply 91 of 118
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

    yeah, because there aren't any redeeming qualities or reasons to use AP if you don't get that feature at launch. 

     

    It's of no use to me if I can't easily manage my finances. You know, sort of the reason it exists.

  • Reply 92 of 118
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

     

     

    Most of my screen rotation issues for 8.0.x were resolved by turning off Reachability.  Mad props to the anonymous MR reader who clued me in on that.  So this was at least common enough over on MR that I was able to find how other people with the same issues who managed to find ways to work around the problems. 

     

    And it can't have been too rare if the fix got its own shout-out in the 8.1 release notes:

     




    and i could argue that its rare enough not to have been an issue on our four devices. until a sample size increases to incorporate more than the use cases tested in the lab, bugs will happen, and it doesn't mean apple is going downhill, or that its troubling, or any of the other FUD crap. rather, iOS devices are selling more & more, resulting in more variables and use cases. 

  • Reply 93 of 118
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    It's of no use to me if I can't easily manage my finances. You know, sort of the reason it exists.




    actually, no, the reason for AP is not so you can manage your finances. i don't recall that bullet at the launch at all. do you have a screenshot?

     

    the reason for AP is 1) convenience. 2) security. 

     

    sorry you didn't get your outlier feature at launch, but you're cutting your nose off to spite your face if you boycott it for that reason as you've indicated.

  • Reply 94 of 118
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

    ...you're cutting your nose off to spite your face if you boycott it for that reason as you've indicated.



    Not really. It doesn't do what I need it to do, so there's no reason for me to use it.

  • Reply 95 of 118
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

    Works like charm on my iPad Air and iPhone 5s :)

  • Reply 96 of 118
    Preparing update. Hopefully this goes well.


    I wonder if places like Walgreens/McDonald's have every store prepared to accept already.


    I've actually been considering punishing myself with McDonalds just to try ApplePay.

    If pleasure can be considered punishment, then punish away.
  • Reply 97 of 118
    gtr wrote: »
    WARNING - This update turned me into a newt.

    As I warned with Yosemite, I strongly recommend waiting until Thursday before installing this update, in case you should turn into a newt or suffer other unforeseen consequences.

    There are known knowns and known unknowns. Then there are unknown knowns and unknown unknowns. Also, there be unknown knowns and known gnomes.
  • Reply 98 of 118
    gtr wrote: »
    This update Recently Deleted my Recently Added folder.

    I think it got Camera Rolled.

    ????

    Also, I have it on good authority from the moderators of this site that the first person to use the phrase "snappier" in this thread will be banned.

    EDIT: I think I just got myself banned...

    I wasn't aware of any update to Safari.
  • Reply 99 of 118
    bizzare wrote: »
    They need to report about the first person who's going to use apple pay. The first charge

    Be kind of funny if he got charged a trillion dollars by mistake.
  • Reply 100 of 118
    pbgalvin wrote: »
    Hmm after update on my 6 plus seem to be in an endless reboot cycle.

    Follow up - interrupted it by holding the power button and then got the "hello" screen and all seems good.

    Glad to hear your iPhone 6 Plus is fixed, having been bent out of sorts.
Sign In or Register to comment.