Apple crushes Sept. quarter record, earning $8.5B profit on sales of 39M iPhones, 5.5M Macs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    rogifan wrote: »
    Haha and Business Insider is already freaking out because Apple Watch is going to be reported in a category called "other products" along with iPods and accessories. :D

Knew that was going to happen.
  • Reply 42 of 75

Let the analyst upgrades begin! Anyone who gets in the way of the $AAPL train now is going to be RUN OVER!  This is a MONSTER product cycle and Cook and Co. are just getting warmed up...

• Reply 43 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Knew that was going to happen.

I actually smiled when I heard Apple say that. Of course everyone and their mother will want to know iWatch sales because they can't wait to declare the first product Steve had nothing to do with a failure. I'd love it if Apple doesn't ever provide sales figures for it.
  • Reply 44 of 75

I'm sure Gene Munster predicted this - not. 

• Reply 45 of 75
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Amazing numbers.

So what does Satya Nadella throw?

Chairs?

Disparaging comments about raises for women in the workplace?

Kinect units?

I'm all confuzzled.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Amazing numbers.

So what does Satya Nadella throw?

Chairs?

Disparaging comments about raises for women in the workplace?

Kinect units?

I'm all confuzzled.

Nadella says the rumors about abandoning Surface are baseless - "We're delighted with our sales so far", but won't say what those sales are. XBox is great, pay no attention to those PS4 sales. Office and Windows cows still giving milk (although it's slowly turning to skim milk). And after "certain items" that we won't count or explain about, our quarterly numbers are whatever we want them to be. Hurray!

That's what Nadella will say.

• Reply 47 of 75
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    What a surprise!.... Completely unexpected!!... Now Release The Trolls!!!
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Just finished watcing the Ars live blog of the earnings call ...

Came away with these 3 [main] impressions:
    [LIST=1]
    [*] Apple is Tim Cook's company now
    [*] The iPhone 6 and 6+ are so popular that Apple doesn't know [B][I]when they'll know what the real demand is[/I][/B]
    [*] Tim and Luca did a masterful job educating the financial analysts[B][I] how they should evaluate Apple[/I][/B]
    [*]
    [/LIST]

Ka-Boom!
  • Reply 49 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    adyb wrote: »
    What are the odds that IDC have "other" manufacturers shipping even more tablets & that the iPads share of the market has gone down!?!?

Except for really cheap tablets, mostly by unknown Chinese manufacturers, not very high. And does that really matter? I know some folks who have bought those cheap things. None have been in use after the first couple of weeks.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    Someone on Bloomberg said Apple's future is software and services because they're high margin businesses. I'm scratching my head at that comment because Apple has been making more and more software free. And services exist to make devices more desirable to own. I'd be curious what software they think will make a lot of money for Apple.

Mostly from retail sales. From their app stores. But almost all of Apple's software there is free, except for a few professional editing programs. So it's from third party software. Not what was said.

I really don't think these people know what Apple is. They just churn out homilies. I guess they want Apple to resemble Microsoft.
  • Reply 51 of 75
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

2. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are so popular that Apple doesn't know when they'll know what the real demand is

Yeah, I was struck by that too. Cook genuinely didn't want to commit, when it would have been easy to spin a story people wanted to hear. I think they knew from customer surveys that this iPhone iteration would be big, but it's turned out even bigger than that, and they're kinda scrambling to meet demand.

Not saying that will continue indefinitely, but it was kind of interesting to see the CEO kind of knocked off balance by the success of the iPh6.

• Reply 52 of 75

1. Apple is Tim Cook's company now
    2. The iPhone 6 and 6+ are so popular that Apple doesn't know when they'll know what the real demand is
    3. Tim and Luca did a masterful job educating the financial analysts how they should evaluate Apple

Ka-Boom!

It was very interesting. They were asked, several times, about demand. I couldn't help but smile each time I heard the question, and the answer.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    stardustag wrote: »
    Overall the numbers looks great, but I am sure the investors will poo poo on declining iPad numbers again...
    It helps that Mac sales are doing well. But I think the weak iPad numbers give Microsoft more confidence in Surface.

I hear they were dancing in Redmond!
  • Reply 54 of 75
    mechanic wrote: »
    total wrote: »

iphone units growth +4% YoY, not impressive. Supply constraints or not everyone "loves" bigger phones? Overall decent results, but stock price seems to stay around $100 for now.

This is for the quarter just completed and the new iPhones the 6 and 6 plus won't show significant sales volume until the current fiscal 1st quarter of 2015 concludes 3 months from september 27th.  The new iPhones have only been on sale from the 19th of September forward. So only 9 days of the fiscal 4th quarter were the new iPhones the 6 and the 6 Plus counted towards the fiscal 4th quarter of 2014.  The majority of this just concluded fiscal 4th quarter of 2014 was the sales of the iPhone 5s, 5c and 5.   This is huge especially when you compare this to the fact that the older iPhones are outselling the Galaxy s5 samsung newest flagship phone.  The quarter to watch for the sales of the new iPhones is the fiscal 1st quarter of 2015 that we just started september 28th.

to reinforce @Mechanic, Here's Tim's statements from the Ars live blog (in LIFO order) -- they don't know when they'll know what real demand is:
    We do not envision as of today being able to achieve the extra inventory in the channel that is needed, considering the distribution market in the emerging market channels
    by Lee 14:33

Couldn't be happier with how the demand looks

It's very unusual to see every country having a marked improvement over the previous year, but that's what we're seeing with iPhone

But at this point it's very difficult to gauge what the true demand is
    by Lee 14:32

That's the reason we're giving such strong guidance

We're not even on the same planet today, clearly, but I'm really confident the supply will be great

It's very difficult to gauge demand without data

I don't want to leave you with the view that we know when we'll get to supply/demand balance with both the new products

It's unclear, looking at the data, when supply will catch up with demand
    by Lee 14:31

That said, today demand is far outstripping supply

The ramp itself is going great—it's the fastest ever in our history

*implies

Tim:

Follow up: Looking at the current supply constraints, can Apple confirm guidance imples supply balance by the end of the quarter? And what are the key bottlenecks?
  • Reply 55 of 75
    melgross wrote: »
    Someone on Bloomberg said Apple's future is software and services because they're high margin businesses. I'm scratching my head at that comment because Apple has been making more and more software free. And services exist to make devices more desirable to own. I'd be curious what software they think will make a lot of money for Apple.

Mostly from retail sales. From their app stores. But almost all of Apple's software there is free, except for a few professional editing programs. So it's from third party software. Not what was said.

I really don't think these people know what Apple is. They just churn out homilies. I guess they want Apple to resemble Microsoft.

Bloomberg and their ilk try to look at Apple like it was like the rest of tech industry which is selling commodity hardware running on an undifferentiated OS to price-sensitive bottom feeders. Apple's customers are a loyal bunch that want what Apple has and will pay the extra dollars to have the integrated experience.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    melgross wrote: »

Bloomberg and their ilk try to look at Apple like it was like the rest of tech industry which is selling commodity hardware running on an undifferentiated OS to price-sensitive bottom feeders. Apple's customers are a loyal bunch that want what Apple has and will pay the extra dollars to have the integrated experience.

According to Tim in the earnings call -- in China FY2014:
    • 80% of iPhone 4S buyers were new to iPhone
    • 50% of iPhone 5S buyers were new to iPhone

The iPhone 6 and 6+ were not offered in China for FY 2014.

Those numbers are so high, that I think a great percentage of 6 and 6+ buyers will also be new buyers
    by Lee 15:02

for 5S, 50% were new buyers

The highest percentage is the 4S buyer in China, where over 80% of them were new buyers

Tim:

Tim mentioned previously that there were many new iPad buyers. Can Apple give that same new buyer range for iPhones? How does that number change across the next few quarters?

http://live.arstechnica.com/apple-q4-2014-earnings-call/
  • Reply 57 of 75
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

It's all Carl Icahn's doing.  Without his helpful suggestions on how Apple should be run, none of this would have been possible.

• Reply 58 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by super_mac_boy View Post

Meanwhile, Microsoft are building a watch...

/s

Microsoft was in the watch business years ago with the SPOT(Smart Personal Objects Technology) watch.  I'm wearing a SUUNTO SPOT watch right now.  I had to go through two bad Fossil SPOT watches which I pieced together to make one good watch that died.  Then out of two SUUNTO's SPOT watches I have one that still works to this day.  If you wanted to receive messages on it, the people that sent you the message could only send using Microsoft Messenger. Microsoft dropped the SPOT broadcast service years ago.  When I got an iPhone it flat out ran circles around the one way FM broadcast radio subband SPOT watch.  Microsoft is THE poster child on how NOT to build a smart watch!  The only upside was the watch kept absolutely perfect time; still does.

• Reply 59 of 75
    Apple Beats.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by total View Post

iphone units growth +4% YoY, not impressive. Supply constraints or not everyone "loves" bigger phones? Overall decent results, but stock price seems to stay around $100 for now.

The article got the number for last year wrong, check the provided link.

"Apple reports earnings of $7.5B on sales of 33.8M iPhones,.." So over 15% growth YoY.