Apple sells 5.5M Macs in Q3 2014, destroys previous record without major product changes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Yet again you spam the forum with insults and bring nothing of value to the table. Don't you ever tire of being such a worthless jerk?

What's your problem? Read his post.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Competing businesses are not at 'war' with each other. I've never liked that word thrown around lightly. I'm sure if you had experienced the realities of war first hand you'd agree with me.

Having nothing whatsoever to do with your response or the use of the words therein.

• Reply 22 of 59
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 631member
    Absolutely shocking... Who could have seen this coming?
  • Reply 23 of 59
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    focher wrote: »
    While that claim is obviously exaggerated, the real question is exactly how is the PC market going to ever come out of its current structure? Everything is a race to the bottom, and none of the established vendors have been able to deliver a product to market that entices consumers to pay a premium. When it comes to profit, the PC wars may very well be over. 

Not everyone can afford to pay a premium for a personal computer, nor do they want to. How is their structure any different than that of GM, or Toyota? Is the automobile 'war' over because they don't make as much profit as Mercedes Benz, or BMW?
  • Reply 24 of 59
    Having nothing whatsoever to do with your response or the use of the words therein.

The purpose of war is to destroy, eradicate, and erase your opponent. To say that Apple has won the PC wars implies that the other manufacturers have ceased to be operational, and that's simply not the case. Tides change in business, and a company that was once strong could find itself weak, or vice versa.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The purpose of war is to destroy, eradicate, and erase your opponent. To say that Apple has won the PC wars implies that the other manufacturers have ceased to be operational, and that's simply not the case. Tides change in business, and a company that was once strong could find itself weak, or vice versa.

No, it's to achieve victory over. This has been accomplished. War does imply annex.

• Reply 26 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Not quite in the tech realm. You know exactly what was meant. You're just being clever here, but being contrarian purely for its own sake doesn't change the situation. 

It was a commonly-held belief that Microsoft and OEMs won the PC "wars." That's the phrasing that was (and still is) used. It is within the context of *that* particular meaning in which I made my comment. 

You already know this, though. Whether you think the phrasing is grammatically or technically appropriate makes absolutely no difference. 

• Reply 27 of 59
    lowepglowepg Posts: 106member
    Wait.... this seems impossible.

I just read 25 pages of VERY smart people who have claimed Apple is doomed since they clearly dont know shit about what buyers want...

So, who's buying all these macs?
  • Reply 28 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rob53 wrote: »
    Or maybe people are just liking what Apple has to offer compared to non-Apple computers.

I'm sure they do, but it's a combinations of right moves by Apple, which includes lower prices, more competitive prices, better integration with iDevices, being able to experience them in their stores, and, of course, the gateway effect of the customer satisfaction of their other products.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »

1) I can think of very few wars that "destroy, eradicate, and erase" their opponent.

2) How many other OEMs are still making traditional "PCs" after 30+ years, not to mention succeeding at it turning a good profit?
  • Reply 30 of 59
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I can think of very few wars that "destroy, eradicate, and erase" their opponent.

2) How many other OEMs are still making traditional "PCs" after 30+ years, not to mention succeeding at it turning a good profit?

1)Because one side usually gives up thus averting its eradication.

2)None
  • Reply 31 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Great, I guess IPad losses account for Mac gains?(at least in MacBooks)

Well this is interesting...

If you think you want a tablet to replace your windows laptop... look at an iPad and next to is is a 11" Macbook Air at 899. and a 13' at $999.  You've looked at the iPad and thought while good, it's not for you... because for a couple hundred dollars more you get the keyboard, and the larger screen and the zippy performance.  You see the better construction and all the headaches you've had with your Dell/HP/Lenovo laptop, and you say, I'd be spending $800 for a big iPad... $100 more and I get laptop with the same quality.

Personally, I also think you get an iPhone, and you don't need an iPad first... you need a laptop.   The iPad is probably 3rd on your Apple shopping list for the casual computer user.

• Reply 32 of 59
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I like all these superlatives, "crushes", "destroys", they make me smile.

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

• Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So that's it, it's over? The only personal computers for sale are made by Apple?

Why do you act so stupid?

And a damned good actor he is!

• Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why do you act so stupid?

Competing businesses are not at 'war' with each other. I've never liked that word thrown around lightly. I'm sure if you had experienced the realities of war first hand you'd agree with me.

You have a narrow view of the definition of "war."  Sound like the PTSD speaking.

• Reply 35 of 59
    roake wrote: »

I resemble that remark. ;)

You have a narrow view of the definition of "war."  Sound like the PTSD speaking.

Because its definition is indeed narrow.

war
    noun
    1.a state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

I resemble that remark. image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Because its definition is indeed narrow.

war

noun

1.a state of armed conflict between different nations or states or different groups within a nation or state.

And just that easily, you have elevated both Apple and Samsung to the status of nations...

• Reply 37 of 59
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Most wars are stalemates or at best everybody loses, but you lost more and so lets end it here. 

Vietnam? Who won, or lost? If you judge by destruction alone, the viet cong lost.... Korean conflict? Nobody won. Iraq war. One side is "destroyed", but fights a rear guard action for the next 10 years.. Same with Afghanistan and most modern conflicts.  Even the Bosnian war can hardly say that the Serbs were destroyed. In fact, the winning side lost more than the winners it seems. In Civil wars, everyone's destroyed, hardly a good conclusion. WWI, everybody lost, the germans slightly more. WWII, everyone in Europe struggled post war, yet the loser is the one who recovered the best.

• Reply 38 of 59
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

While that claim is obviously exaggerated, the real question is exactly how is the PC market going to ever come out of its current structure? Everything is a race to the bottom, and none of the established vendors have been able to deliver a product to market that entices consumers to pay a premium. When it comes to profit, the PC wars may very well be over. 

The PC market, for the most part, is dependant upon Intel / Windows (now Intel / ChromeOS) for its success.  Until Windows 10 / Intel Broadwell platform roll out, we won't know how well the PC market will come out of its decline.  I can't speak for the average consumer, but enterprises are more excited about Windows 10 compared to Windows 8.  But like I said, we'll see.

• Reply 39 of 59

And just that easily, you have elevated both Apple and Samsung to the status of nations...

Which they're not hence the word 'war' is not applicable. It's not that hard
  • Reply 40 of 59
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Most wars are stalemates or at best everybody loses, but you lost more and so lets end it here. 

Vietnam? Who won, or lost? If you judge by destruction alone, the viet cong lost.... Korean conflict? Nobody won. Iraq war. One side is "destroyed", but fights a rear guard action for the next 10 years.. Same with Afghanistan and most modern conflicts.  Even the Bosnian war can hardly say that the Serbs were destroyed. In fact, the winning side lost more than the winners it seems. In Civil wars, everyone's destroyed, hardly a good conclusion. WWI, everybody lost, the germans slightly more. WWII, everyone in Europe struggled post war, yet the loser is the one who recovered the best.

The loser is much easier to find. Whose will was imposed at the end? We're not all speaking German, nor Japanese so Germany, and Japan lost the war. Nobody comes out unscathed though.