Alleged iPad Air 2 benchmark shows A8X CPU has three cores, 2GB of RAM

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

which is 4 year old architecture.   But Intel needs to ship Broadwell to keep it's power/performance curve lead.

Figure 3 years (A11) before you see enough systems guts to legitimately say 'you could make a pretty darn good laptop out of this chip' 

I'm running the MBP 13" e2011 w/ 16GB RAM and an SSD, and believe me, this thing is no slouch, and though the CPU is a bit slow, to have an iPad that has nearly as much horsepower as this is mind-blowing!
    In multicore, that's higher than the 1.3GHz MBA from last year. The Haswell version. :D

:smokey:
  • Reply 42 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    peteo wrote: »
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/user/naaajsboy

Wow if you sort the list by multicore its the fastest arm based system they have tested, also it looks to be on the heels of some of Intel's laptop chips. Maybe in a year or 2 it will pass allot of these... Pretty damn impressive (esp given its clock speed)

Two years? All they need to do is up the clock rate and bump up the cache/memory interface. This processor is going to make this rev a must have.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

which is 4 year old architecture.   But Intel needs to ship Broadwell to keep it's power/performance curve lead.
    Which doesn't matter considering the very low clock rate of the A8X. I see this as the big thing here, we really don't know what the ultimate speed (clock rate) of this design is.

The fact that the chip does so well at such a slow clock rate is what makes this chip so exciting.
    Figure 3 years (A11) before you see enough systems guts to legitimately say 'you could make a pretty darn good laptop out of this chip' 

Apple could do a passable laptop in 2015 with some simple modifications to this chip. No it wouldn't be a Mac Book Pro but it would certainly compete with Air and netbook type machines.
  • Reply 44 of 103
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

I always feel that people who complaint about Safari tabs refreshing are trolling.

I have about 10 tabs open all the time and I don't have an issue of each tab refreshing whenever I want to read the websites.

Maybe because I constantly have fast WiFi and 4G?

I always thought the tabs should refresh only when I want to read them?  Firstly, there are likely to be new contents.

Secondly, why should they be constantly or regularly refreshing when I am not reading them?  Wouldn't this be using up battery?

Am I lazy? Maybe.  But I see this as productivity because I don't have to tab to get to a certain website.  And I didn't mind the tabs refreshing whenever I feel like reading them so I don't see what's the big fuss.

And all these times, my iPad Air and iphone only have 1 gb of RAM.

People complaining about other people's use of computers are trolling.  I expect some people here (who of course I have never met and shouldn't give a darn) are probably discomforted by the fact that I have something like 23,000 emails (12,000 "unread") in my inbox.  Call me lazy, call me disorganized, call me messy or unfocused.  I say "it works for me, mind your own business."

• Reply 45 of 103
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    I think this scorcher of a iPad deserves a meme...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/51094/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

:smokey:
  • Reply 46 of 103
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

THE IPAD'S RAM ISN'T UPGRADABLE THIS IS A TRAVESTY APPLE IS EVIL

Why are you bothering to say things we already know?
  • Reply 47 of 103
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    malax wrote: »
    People complaining about other people's use of computers are trolling.  I expect some people here (who of course I have never met and shouldn't give a darn) are probably discomforted by the fact that I have something like 23,000 emails (12,000 "unread") in my inbox.  Call me lazy, call me disorganized, call me messy or unfocused.  I say "it works for me, mind your own business."
    Exactly!
    90% of my email is garbage or close to it. I can search easily to find what I want in seconds--why waste time daily editing it clean? And maybe erase something I didn't know I would need...
    As my grandma used to say: "each to his own said the old lady with 15 browser windows open."
  • Reply 48 of 103
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I haven't been this excited about the letter X since the SEGA 32X.
    OS X didn't titillate?

Forget OS X!

What about xXx???
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

What about xXx???

Vin Diesel just doesn’t have it going on. Also I’m heterosexual. ;)

• Reply 50 of 103
    apple ][ wrote: »
    This is just my opinion of course, but people who use too many tabs, and constantly have a gazillion tabs open are just lazy.

I know somebody like that, and I told them last time to just make some damn bookmarks, which they were apparently too lazy to do.

I can have ten tabs open. Mostly, they are from threads I am in. I've got three open from AI, another two from ArsTechnica. Some from financial sites, etc. I'm not using them as bookmarks. I'm sure others use them for the same purposes.

But, and here's the thing about page refresh, when in a forum, you want the page to refresh when you reopen it. Most sites don't have push on forums, so if you use the cached page, you don't get the newest posts. So it would be; tap on page, then tap on page refresh. Never really bothered me one way or the other.
  • Reply 51 of 103
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I look forward to testing this out in the store first.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I only keep two or three tabs open at once so that would be great. So long as I can have two tabs open with absolutely no reloading under any circumstances, I don't see how you could ask for more than that in such a device.

Except that ANY Surface Pro can have a hundred tabs or windows open without crashing -or- reloading.

• Reply 53 of 103
    pazuzu wrote: »

Don't forget to come back and complain about it afterwards...
  • Reply 54 of 103

Boy are the haters raging tonight. They just can't stand the fact that Apple designs the best ARM processors in the world. 

• Reply 55 of 103
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Two years? All they need to do is up the clock rate and bump up the cache/memory interface. This processor is going to make this rev a must have.

I'm not even concerned with i5 comparisons. What intrigues me is that this is now around i3 low power performance. That, in itself, is major. We're talking about an SoC that is likely the most expensive SoC around, but that is probably no more than about $40, possibly less. The i3, plus support chips, costs around $140. That price difference alone, is a major accomplishment.

Now, I'd love to see a notebook with two, giving six cores, and double the graphics performance. Six cores on most machines is overkill, but at these prices, it can't hurt. I notice that the speed of the chip is still pretty low. Estimates were that it would run at 1600 MHz instead. Apple could raise the speed a bit, though not much, in a notebook. It could add another 10% to the performance.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    pazuzu wrote: »

Other than playing with it, what exactly do you expect to be testing in the store?
  • Reply 57 of 103
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I heard about this last night.

The iPad Air 2 is going to be a beast!

I'm also damn glad that they didn't increase the screen res. Now all of that extra horse power is definitely going to be felt in a big way!

Can't wait for my new iPad! It should be here anytime from Wed-Friday! Bring it on!

I'm reading reports of a 68% increase in performance of the iPad Air 2 over the iPad Air over at 9 to 5 Mac.

That's insane.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    Apparently the Denver K1 scores 1900 single and 3250 multi running at 2.5GHz. So it has a 66% faster clock speed yet only manages to score 5.5% better than the A8 does.

Now when you look at all the yapping Nvidia (and their legion of fanboys - some on this site) have done about the larger cache sizes of the K1, the fact it's 7-way superscalar (vs 6-way for the A8) and how it's supposed to optimize instructions on the fly (ala Transmeta) to improve performance it suddenly doesn't seem very impressive. At all. On paper it has everything going for it, yet as with previous Tegra processors it fails to deliver in the real world.

Apple still has the best optimized ARM processor in the world. By a significant margin.

Those benchmark scores are pretty impressive indeed, given the relatively lower clock speed of the A8X. On the flip side, the K1 is running the 32-bit version of the benchmark, using the old instruction set with less registers, etc. The real comparison will be in 64-bit.

The fun will start when fanboys are gonna call foul because Apple decided to splurge on a third core. /grabbing popcorn
  • Reply 59 of 103
    heinzel wrote: »
    Those benchmark scores are pretty impressive indeed, given the relatively lower clock speed of the A8X. On the flip side, the K1 is running the 32-bit version of the benchmark, using the old instruction set with less registers, etc. The real comparison will be in 64-bit.

The fun will start when fanboys are gonna call foul because Apple decided to splurge on a third core. /grabbing popcorn

Well, considering that all higher end ARM SoC's for Android are either 4 core, or 8, usually using all of the BIG and LITTLE cores, they have nothing to complain about.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm reading reports of a 68% increase in performance of the iPad Air 2 over the iPad Air over at 9 to 5 Mac.

That's insane.

Indeed. It even destroys older Macbooks, Macbook Pros and Macbook Airs.