Review roundup: iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deemed best in class, but changes mostly iterative [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
The reviews are in for this year's iPad product refreshes and the results are expectedly positive for the new iPad Air 2, though some question whether Apple did enough to warrant the iPad mini 3's price tag.

Re/code

Walt Mossberg, self-professed iPad lover, says the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 are the best tablets Apple has ever made, but notes they only offer a "modest evolutionary improvement over last year's models, not the kind of big change that the first iPad Air or the Retina display iPad mini did last year."

He goes on to say that the iPad Air 2 has a less reflective screen, good battery life, faster wireless and a new multi-carrier "Apple SIM" card, but the changes do not amount to a colorable increase in performance compared to the original iPad Air. For those with iPad older than last year's iPad Air, the Air 2 may be worth a look.

The Wall Street Journal

Much the same was said in Joanna Stern's review, which noted the Air 2 is a good upgrade for those who skipped on the first-generation model. Stern touts Touch ID, the slim 6.1mm chassis and high-resolution screen, but bemoans the lack of multitasking, a feature offered from both Android and Windows slates.

As for the iPad mini 3, Stern suggests buyers go with the older generation iPad mini with Retina display, which will get a price cut once the new model arrives later this week. The only changes Apple made to the smaller tablet are the additions of Touch ID and a new gold color option, hardly worth the $150 premium over the older version.

The Verge

In his look at the iPad Air 2, Nilay Patel says one of the main draws is the new A8X chip, which he calls "ridiculously fast." The processor flies through everyday computations like Web browsing and has extra graphics headroom developers can use to create even better mobile games.

On the iPad mini 3, Dieter Bohn calls the difference between it and the iPad Air 2 "stark."

"It's tempting to just point you to last year's review of the iPad mini 2 and call it a day," Bohn writes. "And in fact you should read it: everything we said a year ago still applies. But times change even though the iPad mini's hardware hasn't -- and the times have actually been surprisingly kind to this device."

TechCrunch

Darrel Etherington calls the iPad Air 2 the best tablet available today, highlighting the screen and the iPad's abilities as a photography assistant. Through apps and a decent camera, the tablet is a good mobile workstation for on-the-go photography, though the anti-reflective coating is not noticeably effective. He also says the now absent orientation lock/mute switch will be missed.

Other notable reviews include: Overall, it seems most reviewers are impressed with the iPad Air 2 upgrade, but view it more as the next step in Apple's tablet evolution than a revolution that brings a load of new trappings and performance improvements. Owners of the iPad Air may want to skip this generation unless they need the added oomph from Apple's A8X SoC.

The iPad mini 3, on the other hand, seems to be a very minor update on the previous model with distinguishing features limited to Touch ID and a gold chassis. With the iPad mini 2 getting a price cut, that may be the better choice for most users.

Update: This story is being updated with additional reviews as they come out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 90
    Well, it's the "S" model of the iPad Air, isn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 90

This is the first time since before Steve’s return that Apple has done an “update” to a product without changing the CPU inside.

• Reply 3 of 90
    Engadget's review should be avoided, Molen is a Fandroid.

The iPad Mini 3 is great for enterprises, who want TouchID for security. That's the reason it exists.
  • Reply 4 of 90
    Engadget's review should be avoided, Molen is a Fandroid.

The iPad Mini 3 is great for enterprises, who want TouchID for security. That's the reason it exists.
    They could've at least put the A8 from the iPhone 6/6 Plus in there. Charging $100 more for Touch ID is a poor showing on Apple's behalf.
  • Reply 5 of 90
    You said: 'On the iPad mini 3, Dieter Bohn calls the difference between it and the iPad mini 2 "stark."'

Actually, that's the difference between the mini 3 and the *Air* 2...
  • Reply 6 of 90
    This is the first time since before Steve’s return that Apple has done an “update” to a product without changing the CPU inside.

Nope. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 1G and 2G used the same SOC, clocked at the same rate. It is uncommon though.
  • Reply 7 of 90
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nope. iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 1G and 2G used the same SOC, clocked at the same rate. It is uncommon though.

Ah, yes; of course.

Wasn’t the 3G clocked higher, however?

Just checked: nope.

• Reply 8 of 90

Who cares if a bunch of writers aren't impressed? After all, they're compelled to pander to their chronically skeptical readership.

Touch ID is a majorly important feature for any and all iDevices, as people's often sensitive data is normally shared across all such devices, and Touch ID enables both enhanced security of such along with effortless access to these devices with the touch of a finger.

I had an iPhone 5 when the 5s appeared with Touch ID, so I missed that. But that was OK because I went from the 5 to a 6+ and got the Touch ID along with 128 GB of memory and Apple Pay.

I love my iPhone 6+ so much that I'm currently not in very strong need of my older iPad Mini. And I sold my iPad 2 because of relatively light use and its weight and bulk.

But with the new iPads' greater performance, better displays, better BT, WiFi, and LTE, there may be a new iPad in my future—especially if and when Adobe's mobile app offerings start to make sense for my work.

• Reply 9 of 90
    I have an Air at the moment. Gone back and forth on upgrading the last few days. Overall, I'm just telling myself that there's even more to come next year, as the A9 will be a tick rather than a tock. Plus, I have a year left on my Air's extended warranty anyway. And I might miss the mute switch.
  • Reply 10 of 90
    sog35 wrote: »

No its not.

The iPad Mini is $100 less than the Air.  

If the iPad Mini had everything the Air had than it would cost the same as the Air.  Making things smaller usually costs more.
    This time last year the iPad mini 2 had the same specs as the iPad Air and cost $100 less.
  • Reply 11 of 90
    I have an Air at the moment. Gone back and forth on upgrading the last few days. Overall, I'm just telling myself that there's even more to come next year, as the A9 will be a tick rather than a tock. Plus, I have a year left on my Air's extended warranty anyway. And I might miss the mute switch.
    You could charge more when u sell it if you have the Apple Care. How much would it cost you to upgrade after selling the air?
  • Reply 12 of 90
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

This time last year the iPad mini 2 had the same specs as the iPad Air and cost $100 less.

It did, and I view that as a mis-step by Apple.

Apple is clearly stating this year that there is only one flagship iPad to be had, one king of the hill.

• Reply 13 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

The original Air is still a good tablet! It's still far better than any other tablet out there! Only one other tablet on the planet beats it, and that happens to be the newest Air!

The next iPad will of course be better than the current one, and the one after that will be even better than that and so on, and so on. 

When is the right time to upgrade? That is a choice that everybody will just have to make for themselves. If you're 100% happy with what you have at the moment, then wait would probably be my suggestion. As for me, I'm coming from an iPad 3, so this upgrade is a no brainer, and the difference will be huge.

• Reply 14 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The original Air is still a good tablet! It's still far better than any other tablet out there! Only one other tablet on the planet beats it, and that happens to be the newest Air!

The next iPad will of course be better than the current one, and the one after that will be even better than that and so on, and so on. 

When is the right time to upgrade? That is a choice that everybody will just have to make for themselves. If you're 100% happy with what you have at the moment, then wait would probably be my suggestion. As for me, I'm coming from an iPad 3, so this upgrade is a no brainer, and the difference will be huge.

Having used the iPad Air 2 for an hour or so now (you're all looking particularly snappy!) I can honestly say it's worth upgrading to even from the Air.

Keep in mind that I sell every previous device on eBay immediately after I receive the new one:

1. Purchase new iPad $AUD999
    2. Sell old iPad $AUD750
    3. Price difference $AUD250 (approximately)

I use the exact same method with my iPhone and the price differences are about the same.

It costs me around $AUD250-300 per year to own the latest iDevice, or less than a dollar a day.

Even incremental updates are worth it using this method. I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 15 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Having used the iPad Air 2 for an hour or so now (you're all looking particularly snappy!) I can honestly say it's worth upgrading to even from the Air.

That sounds good!

Is the Air what you owned before you just got the new Air 2?

• Reply 16 of 90
    What's wrong with evolutionary change or, say, evolutionary improvements? I still use iPad version 4, and though the iPad Air was not a evolutionary product worth buying for me, the iPad Air 2 with A8X, far lighter, and TouchID, makes it a new species by comparison.

Actually, I'm wondering about the rumored evolution to the 12" iPad, supposedly delayed until the iPhone 6 models get in demand and supply balance.
  • Reply 17 of 90
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It did, and I view that as a mis-step by Apple.

Apple is clearly stating this year that there is only one flagship iPad to be had, one king of the hill.
    That's fine, and they could've demonstrated that by giving the iPad mini 3 the plain A8 chipset while keeping A8X for iPad Air 2. That would've made more sense than what they did. It's a head scratcher to charge $100 more for Touch ID alone.
  • Reply 18 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gtr wrote: »

How is Safari on the Air 2?
  • Reply 19 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macvicta wrote: »
    That's fine, and they could've demonstrated that by giving the iPad mini 3 the plain A8 chipset while keeping A8X for iPad Air 2. That would've made more sense than what they did. It's a head scratcher to charge $100 more for Touch ID.

One theory I have is then mini 3 is a placeholder right now and will get A8 once 6/6 Plus demand isn't so high, perhaps next spring. Otherwise there is zero reason for the mini 3 to exist. No way is Touch ID worth $100.
  • Reply 20 of 90
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How is Safari on the Air 2?

Very quick.

Approximately a 10% increase in overall speed over iOS 8.1 on the iPad Air 1.

Keep in mind I am, for the moment, still running an 802.11n router so speeds could be considerably quicker still.

I have also, so far, opened up six tabs and flicked backwards and forwards between them with no refreshing whatsoever.

That increase in speed can be felt right across the entire operating system even when opening stuff like Mail, Notes, Reminders, Calender, iBooks, etc...

Scrolling is even more buttery and smooth.

You know, when I first saw the keynote, I initially wasn't going to get this, based on what I saw. However, once again, Apple has shown that specs are meaningless and that user-experience is everything.