Apple's iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 now available for pickup at select US Apple Stores

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2014
Apple on Wednesday initiated in-store sales of its new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 tablets, though the rollout appears to be limited to the UK and select U.S. locations, notably brick-and-mortar outlets on the East Coast.

The Online Apple Store's in-store pickup stock tool is currently listing the new iPads as available for purchase from brick-and-mortar locations along the U.S. East Coast, but spot checks at areas farther west are still showing "Ships to Apple Store," meaning the devices are not yet in stock.

AppleInsider confirmed the online stocking system information with calls to local Apple Stores. Those locations that did not yet have the devices up for sale said to check back later as they expect shipments to arrive late today or early Thursday.

Interestingly, certain iPad mini 3 models are not yet shipping out to Apple Stores, being listed as "Coming Soon" on Apple's online storefront. Subsequent calls to Apple Stores also confirmed this status, with representatives less sure about upcoming availability.

Apple announced the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 at a special event last week. The Air 2 packs in an A8X SoC, laminated display with antireflective coating and 10-hour battery life in a chassis slimmed-down to only 6.1mm thick, while the iPad mini 3 offers minimal improvements over last year's model, bringing only Touch ID and a gold color option to the table.

Initial reviews for Apple's latest tablets were largely positive, though almost all assessments characterized the changes as evolutionary rather than revolutionary. AppleInsider has provided an unboxing and will publish a review soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    And exactly how is this is news??
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Anybody has any idea when and if Amazon will be selling the iPad Air 2? I've been checking and nothing. Customer service says that they can't comment!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pazuzu wrote: »

It's an additional option people can exercise in obtaining a new iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Verified this today while getting a battery replaced in an iPhone 5. Sadly, no Cellular models yet, just wifi only, and no idea when those would be arriving. Not sure why the cellular models are so sparce this time around, as it hasnt been an issue before. Even the employee I spoke with said its been a strange rollout compared to the past.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I see you've added more lines to what was already a shitty signature. Quite the gall to make a quote about someone proving an accusation, when all you do on this forum is lie, troll, and spread disgusting FUD. And yes, this is news. It's about the availability of a new Apple product. How the **** isn't it news worth of an Apple site? Your stupidity knows no bounds. 

• Reply 6 of 10
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Considering this was a soft launch and Apple never said when iPads would be in stores I'm going to guess they won't announce any sales figures like they did with iPhone.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I see you've added more lines to what was already a shitty signature. Quite the gall to make a quote about someone proving an accusation, when all you do on this forum is lie, troll, and spread disgusting FUD. And yes, this is news. It's about the availability of a new Apple product. How the **** isn't it news worth of an Apple site? Your stupidity knows no bounds. 

Except it hasn't been proven.

I suppose it's information but definitely not news. I will check the iPad Air2 out in person today at the Apple Store. I wished they'd toned down the shiny bezel like on the new iPhones. But I've already been told they haven't.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Im picking up my 64gb Slate iPad Air 2 and my 27" Retina iMac today.  Can't wait!

Would have upgraded my iPad Mini 2 if they wouldn't have crippled the 3 with a pathetic "update" (I thought we were past that after last year, Apple?).  And also would love to upgrade my iPod Touch... wonder if I ever will be able to?

• Reply 9 of 10

Yeah, the new iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 are in stock right now. Again the iDeviceChecker.com website can help you to find a iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 or iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus in your direct neighborhood. The website shows you the inventory of thousands of stores on a nice Google Map. That way you can easily spot an Apple store which has your desired iDevice in stock right now and then drive over to grab it.

Good luck and lots of fun with your new iDevice :)

• Reply 10 of 10
    andysol wrote: »
    Im picking up my 64gb Slate iPad Air 2 and my 27" Retina iMac today.  Can't wait!

Would have upgraded my iPad Mini 2 if they wouldn't have crippled the 3 with a pathetic "update" (I thought we were past that after last year, Apple?).  And also would love to upgrade my iPod Touch... wonder if I ever will be able to?

Glad to see you helping to keep Apple above water!

Retina 27", eh? Lucky guy...