iPhone 6 Plus users report persistent unexplained crashing issues, possibly tied to large app librar

1567810

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

    "It seems to be the number of apps installed. Running or not."

     

    ?"Seems" being a key qualifier... That analysis is published somewhere? When a user moves off an app it stays in the background unless the user deliberately swipes it "off", that builds a background set that is a potential source of problems. especially any that actively access locations data even when in the background as a number do. There's more apps "running" than the one on the screen...

  • Reply 182 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,293member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    "It seems to be the number of apps installed. Running or not."

    ?"Seems" being a key qualifier... That analysis is published somewhere? When a user moves off an app it stays in the background unless the user deliberately swipes it "off", that builds a background set that is a potential source of problems. especially any that actively access locations data even when in the background as a number do. There's more apps "running" than the one on the screen...

    No it doesn't. Apps are quit by the OS when there are memory constraints. Do you really think that up to 700 apps are running at the same time? Some apps are woken on different events ( like a push notification or a location change) but they don't get very long and are (re) quit very fast.

    None if this matters. The OS shouldn't reboot regardless.
  • Reply 183 of 212
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 376member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paradox148 View Post



    I too am one of those who is experiencing the crashing problem with my brand now iPhone 6 plus. Yes I have tons of apps on my phone as my iPhone is almost my desktop replacement and much more. I use it for work, faxing, business, investment, games, music/instrument playing and writing, photo editing.....etc. the iPhone is so amazing and powerful that it is just a huge waste if one only use it for facebook and itune. Anyway all those posts attacking people with large numbers of apps are irrelevant. My iPhone 5s had no problem handling all those apps and the 6 should just work.



    It appears that my 6 crashes whenever I have to assess the App Store to redownload apps, although it can happen anytime.

    You mean to say that your iPhone 5s running ios7 never had any issues, right? Or did you run iOS 8 on your iPhone 5s as well?

  • Reply 184 of 212
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 376member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post





    No it doesn't. Apps are quit by the OS when there are memory constraints. Do you really think that up to 700 apps are running at the same time? Some apps are woken on different events ( like a push notification or a location change) but they don't get very long and are (re) quit very fast.



    None if this matters. The OS shouldn't reboot regardless.

    Apps are quit, but their preferences remain. And those have to be managed at a system level or the OS won't have anything to load. How do you know those preference files aren't corrupting the operating system? The fact is that you can't just load 700 apps and not expect the OS to have absolutely no knowledge or interaction with the apps, otherwise they would just be non-executable data.

  • Reply 185 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,293member
    elehcdn wrote: »
    Apps are quit, but their preferences remain. And those have to be managed at a system level or the OS won't have anything to load. How do you know those preference files aren't corrupting the operating system? The fact is that you can't just load 700 apps and not expect the OS to have absolutely no knowledge or interaction with the apps, otherwise they would just be non-executable data.

    The preferences are sandboxed in iOS. It doesn't matter even if they weren't. The OS shouldn't reboot. It's an OS problem if it reboots.
  • Reply 186 of 212
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 376member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post





    The preferences are sandboxed in iOS. It doesn't matter even if they weren't. The OS shouldn't reboot. It's an OS problem if it reboots.

    You just don't get it ... at a low level, the OS has to know about all those apps that are loaded, whether or not they are running. If it doesn't have any interaction at all with those apps, it can't launch them. And those types of low level code are EXACTLY what cause issues like random reboots.

     

    In the end, the issue will be resolved because somewhere in the data dumps there will be information of those incompatibilities and Apple will patch them. But with the gajillion possible combinations of applications when individuals are running 700+ apps the fact that they don't want to take any responsibility in helping to troubleshoot the issues by even bothering to confirm that all 700 apps are valid (I still stand by my statement that it is pure laziness and not some need for a long lost app that drives users to simply copy over the same old apps from their iPhone 3Gs) means that fix is going to take a long time.

  • Reply 187 of 212
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 376member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post





    The preferences are sandboxed in iOS. It doesn't matter even if they weren't. The OS shouldn't reboot. It's an OS problem if it reboots.

    And the other point is that all applications are supposed to be sandboxed, but many developer broke the rules to allow for better inter application sharing, especially in earlier versions of iOS that had more stringent control for the use of "Open In". I'll bet that many of these old "indispensable" apps are exactly so because the developers could not find ways to get the apps to work properly as Apple advanced the OS to support new functionality. In this case the apps may not have changed, but the OS has had massive changes.

  • Reply 188 of 212
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,293member
    elehcdn wrote: »
    You just don't get it ... at a low level, the OS has to know about all those apps that are loaded, whether or not they are running. If it doesn't have any interaction at all with those apps, it can't launch them. And those types of low level code are EXACTLY what cause issues like random reboots.

    In the end, the issue will be resolved because somewhere in the data dumps there will be information of those incompatibilities and Apple will patch them. But with the gajillion possible combinations of applications when individuals are running 700+ apps the fact that they don't want to take any responsibility in helping to troubleshoot the issues by even bothering to confirm that all 700 apps are valid (I still stand by my statement that it is pure laziness and not some need for a long lost app that drives users to simply copy over the same old apps from their iPhone 3Gs) means that fix is going to take a long time.

    You are taking utter nonsense. You have no idea about iOS or any OS. You are basically taking through your proverbial.

    An un launched sandboxed app is just a folder or bundle on the drive. Neither the system or the app need to know its preferences until it is launched. When touched or double clicked on the Mac the executable is launched and the app reads the local preferences. A quit app takes up no RAM and doesn't make API calls.

    The springboard app ( which isn't in fact a low level OS process ) does have to show the icons for the apps so it maintains a database. 700 icons shouldn't be onerous. And some apps may be woken up in the background. Then they can call apples API. None of which should crash if used correctly and none should crash the OS.

    But once again it doesn't matter. There is nothing these apps should be able to do which brings down the OS or causes a reboot.
  • Reply 189 of 212
    idreyidrey Posts: 640member
    I downloaded "Touchofmodern" app and my iphone went crazy! Glitchy screen, reboots completely freeked out. I had to delete it. Some how outdated apps are affecting the os

    Edit: i have iPhone 6 with about 45 installed apps
  • Reply 190 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idrey View Post



    I downloaded "Touchofmodern" app and my iphone went crazy! Glitchy screen, reboots completely freeked out. I had to delete it. Some how outdated apps are affecting the os



    Edit: i have iPhone 6 with about 45 installed apps



    And my overall point is the more apps installed the higher the probability some of them will be bad actors with a newer operating system, even though they were fine when cleared for the app store under an older iOS version.

     

    So, again, a compatibility listing we could run our installed base against would be nice. Not a huge deal breaker, but nice. Curating my desktop software is easy: not all that many application programs, but clearly apps on mobile devices can be a much larger management challenge.

  • Reply 191 of 212

    To your point, asdasd, and thank you: "But once again it doesn't matter. There is nothing these apps should be able to do which brings down the OS or causes a reboot."

    I just installed IOS 8.1.1 on my Ipad Air (1153 apps) and Air 2 (1101 apps) and a half day later, I have had no crashes on either Ipad, even when I tried known ways to crash it.  I may be back, at last, to where I was with IOS 6, working just fine with lots of apps.  It might be early to celebrate, but I sure like this bug-fix release so far.

  • Reply 192 of 212
    Hi there, i am facing the same problem, reported to apple already, replace my phone already but stil have same problem again in the new devices. i was using my mobile on the street walking and reading message, suddenly i got call and all the phone goes blue on screen and than black, and apple logos come, whole the device got reset... during this two weeks already facing the same problem, in the apple support they ask me reset, and restore, it has been done already but the problems still come out. iphone6 plus 128Gb, HongKong version, Gold.
  • Reply 193 of 212

    I don't think anyone needs to defend the reasons why they have X number of apps on their device.  But as for me, I wanna be prepared for the zombie apocalypse...

     

    Seriously though, it seems like a device with gobs of storage should have some checks and balances for max # of apps, and the OS should be rigorously tested to that limit before being released.  Advertise that # in the device specs / user agreement, and ONLY THEN, if user goes over that #, all bets are off.

  • Reply 194 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gracius View Post

     

    I don't think anyone needs to defend the reasons why they have X number of apps on their device.  But as for me, I wanna be prepared for the zombie apocalypse...

     

    Seriously though, it seems like a device with gobs of storage should have some checks and balances for max # of apps, and the OS should be rigorously tested to that limit before being released.  Advertise that # in the device specs / user agreement, and ONLY THEN, if user goes over that #, all bets are off.




    Presuming it's a max number issue and not a simple probability issue of larger collections just that more likely to have incompatible old apps the app developer hasn't bothered to upgrade or the user to update.

     

    "nothing these apps should be able" SHOULD being the most wishful term in the computer universe.

  • Reply 195 of 212
    Turn ON "reduce motion" and turn OFF "transparency" in Settings> Accessibility

    I have experienced the same general issues on a new iPhone 6 Plus 128GB with over 40GBs of apps (85GB at present). The phone did mini crash loops, and rebooted constantly. Apple was kind enough to send me a replacement phone given my particular diagnostics. However, the new replacement had similar problems to a much, much lesser extent. I turned on "reduced motion". That fixed the problem altogether and I experience no more crashes. I turned off "transparency" too since that can also be taxing on live RAM and graphics processing with so many apps installed on the home screens. Turning on Zoom view instead of standard view helps too. However, 1Password, if you have it, will crash in zoom mode.

    This problem does not exist on my iPad Air 128Gb and iPhone 5 64Gb and 2 iPads 2nd Generation 64GB, all loaded with iOS 8.1.2. The problem may be due to a software glitch specific mainly to iOS user interface optimization for the iPhone Plus 128GB when hundreds of apps are loaded. Please be patient till Apple finds a second software fix. Until then, try turning on the reduce motion feature and turning off transparency In Settings. Good luck.

    Apple has always come through for their customers. Please indicate if the solution proposed here works for you.
  • Reply 196 of 212
    Three months have passed since the article has been written. Apple has not responded and not fixed the issue. It is obviously a hardware problem, a software problem would have been fixed, and Apple has no record of assuming accountability when they make a mistake.

    I have the same problem on my IPhone 6+, and all the theories ("too many apps") are nonsense. I have 23 apps loaded, plus of course Apple's mix of good utilities and bloat ware.

    An additional problem are the frequent messages that a website like Spiegel online has a problem and needs to be reloaded, something Safari then does without asking me. I also have a Nexus, and it shows the same page without troubles.

    If you guys think that a real problem can be discussed away by ridiculing customers, and if Apple does nothing to resolve the problem, there will be no business future between me and Apple.
  • Reply 197 of 212
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    That has no bearing on 1) the SW or 2) the HW for any give iPhone. The same casing only helps if you really want to make sure the case market is saturated before you buy. In fact, the 'S' model could have more limitations and issue simply from the internals having to be built around the same external design while the non-'S' models have the luxury of being designed fully without such constraints.

    Good points. Good and bad either way of buying a new model or getting the 'S'.

     

    We've typically gotten the 'S' models, but this time had to get the iPhone 6+ and not wait. 

  • Reply 198 of 212
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oliver-F View Post



    Three months have passed since the article has been written. Apple has not responded and not fixed the issue. It is obviously a hardware problem, a software problem would have been fixed, and Apple has no record of assuming accountability when they make a mistake.



    I have the same problem on my IPhone 6+, and all the theories ("too many apps") are nonsense. I have 23 apps loaded, plus of course Apple's mix of good utilities and bloat ware.



    An additional problem are the frequent messages that a website like Spiegel online has a problem and needs to be reloaded, something Safari then does without asking me. I also have a Nexus, and it shows the same page without troubles.



    If you guys think that a real problem can be discussed away by ridiculing customers, and if Apple does nothing to resolve the problem, there will be no business future between me and Apple.



    So it's not the "large library of apps" problem: you got a lemon: replace it.

  • Reply 199 of 212

    Apple gloats that iOS sandboxes apps, so no virus could be developed for it.  That very same sandboxing ought to prevent any O/S crash due to rogue apps (as long as the O/S is not rooted, aka jail-broken).  No, it is simply the high number of apps that triggers the problem, not the compatibility of a few of them with newer iOS versions.

     

    The fact that iOS cannot deal with high number of apps is nothing but an operating system BUG.  There is no technical reason other than the available storage space to limit their number.  If there was a known limit preventing the full use of available space, it should be documented, so power users know about it ahead of purchase, and can make an informed buying decision.

     

    I believe Apple knows about the bug very damn well, and simply chose to keep totally silent about it, and to ignore related customer's issues through very many iOS upgrades, both minor and major.

    That hypocrite attitude may be due to a combination of the following reasons:

    - Exposing the resulting limit in loadable apps on any particular device undermines their marketing messages gloating about the huge number of apps available on their app store.

    - It opens the door to competitors rightfully claiming the absence of such limit in their O/S as a competitive advantage.

    - Apple could expect some loss of revenue on sales of higher memory capacity models, as a number of users could deem the extra storage useless to them if they cannot benefit of it the way they want, and fall back on much cheaper models with half or a even quarter of the max memory.

    - The problem does not affect enough customers to justify the cost of support engineers looking into it or fixing it.  Possibly, some design flaw of iOS is already known to them, and the fix involves a very expensive rewrite of low level components of the O/S.

     

    So the hypocrites decided to play a game of 3 Indian monkeys with their customers. Shame on them!

  • Reply 200 of 212

    Now, there are 2 ways for affected customers to deal with it:

     

    - Defect iOS and go buy Android devices or alike, and let Apple know about the rationale to the change.  When enough such notices reach them, and the revenue loss becomes sizable enough, they'll start paying attention.

     

    - Ensure your device is covered by Apple Care, and stop waiting through the reboot cycles yourself.  Bring the device to the "genius" instead.  Chances are, the level of geniality combined with SLA time pressure encountered there will lead to the conclusion it is a hardware issue, and you'll get your device replaced.  Restore from backup, and the problem will occur again.  Return the device for yet another replacement.  Repeat as needed.  Encourage others to do the same.  Apple will have to face the sad facts, eventually, if they don't want to spend that much on their inventory turnover.

Sign In or Register to comment.