Multi-carrier Apple SIM 'dedicated' to AT&T's network upon activation, not carried by Sprint Stores

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    It is true that you get locked in. That being said, all you need to do is get another Apple SIM and you have an unlocked iPad again, so it's not really that bad. It's not like your iPad is locked in for life, just that particular Sim card. When I called with another question during the activation process, the AT&T rep was utterly ignorant about the new card and set up.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    The carriers worldwide are quite wary of this Apple SIM.

A few years ago when Apple first floated the concept, the European carriers unanimously threatened to to end their subsidy agreement with Apple, and the fruity one retreated, if only to return after talks with a few participating carriers.

For the travelling consumer, it makes for convenience and a way to avoid international roaming charges; it also appears to encourage carriers to forge international partnerships. It may well make them more money in the long run but, like the music moguls and iTunes, they will have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of their old lock-in fiefdoms before this beomes the accepted way of doing things in the future.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

A few years ago when Apple first floated the concept, the European carriers unanimously threatened to to end their subsidy agreement with Apple, and the fruity one retreated, if only to return after talks with a few participating carriers.

For the travelling consumer, it makes for convenience and a way to avoid international roaming charges; it also appears to encourage carriers to forge international partnerships. It may well make them more money in the long run but, like the music moguls and iTunes, they will have to be dragged kicking and screaming out of their old lock-in fiefdoms before this beomes the accepted way of doing things in the future.

This isn't the same idea from last time. The previous idea was a cardless SIM built into the device. Nothing to swap out. This is a compromised solution.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    chadbag wrote: »
    So I guess that means that, even if your phone is on AT&T, you don't every activate it on AT&T in the US. Just T-Mobile or Sprint.

Dumb dumb dumb

That is exactly what I decided to do. I signed for T-Mobile 5gigs for 5 months and avoided ATT even though my iPhone 6 Plus is on ATT. Bad business decision for ATT.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

I really hope this takes off and Apple succeeds in making the SIM software based that can be changed at anytime.    Combine this with enhanced Multi-Path TCP/IP so that you could buy coverage from a third party that would aggregate coverage from the multiple carriers so that you could get the best and fastest service at any location irrespective of whether its from ATT, VERIZON, Sprint, or T-Mobile.    Had a horrible day last week where I couldn't get any sort of connection on the north-east side of San Antonio, TX, with Verizon on my work iphone5s, but my Personal iPhone 5s on ATT was fine.   Would love for the phone to choose the carrier with the strongest signel.

Next up multiple phone numbers on the one phone (without two SIM slots) and having a phone Number that could ring on multiple phones.   987-6543-210 for all phones, 987-6543-210A for my iPhone 5s, or 987-6543-210B for my iPhone6+.     I should be able to choose which phone I want to carry with me at anytime.

• Reply 46 of 46
    I have a Verizon iPad 3. In order to use it, I had to agree to buy data before 3 months were up after the last use or they would close my account, bricking it from being able to buy new data by blocking the sim. This would then require me to go to a Verizon store, pay the $30 fee to set up a new account, obtain a new sim just to get the iPad's data link working again. (Update: after an hour wait & 45 minutes set up time, Verizon did not charge me the $30).

Just prior me trying to purchase data, I got a Verizon email saying my account has been closed for non-use. Two CS reps promised to resolve this plus refund due for the $50 they charged me but gave no service due to nationwide outtage.

Just read that Verizon will start charging (Jan 15) $2 a month fee if you pay your bill to them on their website or from their app on your phone.

I don't care how good any sims are, this is what you have to deal with with Verizon & some other carriers.