Alpine launches $800 CarPlay-compatible iLX-007 in-dash receiver

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sam graves wrote: »

    I don't think so.

    It's a new unit, and one of the units that Apple themselves touted as being CarPlay ready as soon as the software was to be available in the Fall. The day that the CarPlay firmware came out, I updated and started using it. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I don't see how it could be any better on a different unit.  The available software just feels very rudimentary and the app selection is almost nonexistent.  Those aspects are with Apple, not my Pioneer unit.</span>

    as an owner of several iPhone compatible, touch-enabled pioneer head units, I disgree -- touch responsiveness is largely dependent on the head unit's processing capabilities. the pioneer AppRadio 2 was better than the 1 but the same in 3.

    that Apple listed it as compatible is just that, not an endorsement.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sam graves wrote: »

    The firmware update can easily hold the simple interface. What does the phone need to do other than send the audio and data info? (album art, song name, etc). This is already done via BT on some portable speakers, and BT is currently able to send audio, voice, data, photos, and video.  Why not in the car?

    video on BT?

    anyway, Apple or Mercedes originally said there would be a wifi version of CarPlay, I'd assume it's not working correctly yet, owing to video and touch.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    vmarks wrote: »
    I would think it comes with its own microphone in the box. Plug the provided mic into the input on the back, snake wire under dash, use VHB tape and mount mic at eye level on A pillar, or on top of steering column.

    the crutch field guy was saying it doesn't have BT - that in order to make calls (which would use the plugged in mic) you need to plug your phone to the Lightning adapter. that's pretty lame, and if true a lowering of features. for instance in the pioneer units you can make and recieve calls via the head unit anytime you're paired to it, regardless of plugged in status.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    video on BT?

    anyway, Apple or Mercedes originally said there would be a wifi version of CarPlay, I'd assume it's not working correctly yet, owing to video and touch.

    Let's get the wired version set first and the worry about the wireless version. Plus, when I'm in the car I want to charge my iPhone, and I was pushing a display via Wifi I'll really want to make sure it's plugged in. I suppose on very short trips down the block I wouldn't bother but those sort of trips probably aren't a priority.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 725editor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    the crutch field guy was saying it doesn't have BT - that in order to make calls (which would use the plugged in mic) you need to plug your phone to the Lightning adapter. that's pretty lame, and if true a lowering of features. for instance in the pioneer units you can make and recieve calls via the head unit anytime you're paired to it, regardless of plugged in status.



    The Pioneer has BT - when not plugged in, and BT is paired, calls route over BT. When plugged in, BT on the Pioneer is disabled, and calls route over Lightning.

     

    Honestly, I'm not a fan of BT. Routing calls over Lightning doesn't represent feature loss to me, as much as it represents a gain for reliability and predictability. Yes, I'd be giving up compatibility with non-iPhones, but I accept that as a given when buying a CarPlay head unit.

     

    Without naming a headunit brand (I've had this with more than a few head units from different manufacturers), pairing foibles, whose phone was paired last, which phone re-established pairing first (first in, wins the pairing race!), pairing and call audio that stays established after you turn the car off and leave the car (depending on power state of the radio with ignition off), pairing that is established but won't actually route the call audio because the Bluetooth stack of the head unit is confused, the lower audio quality of Bluetooth (unless using AAC), Bluetooth is a mixed bag.

     

    Even with all that, I currently use Bluetooth in one of the cars to get audio from Spotify Radio to the head unit. Why? Because that head unit switches to Bluetooth audio input when the BT status is connected. Pressing Source several times to get it back to USB or connecting an AUX cable is even more steps, for a driver who doesn't want to know why these things work the way they do, and doesn't want to interact with it much - just wants the music to play.

     

    When I get in the car, I frequently plug in the 12V Lightning charger I keep in the car and either dock it in a Kenu vent holder or a Griffin iSqueez cup holder. Connecting Lightning for CarPlay doesn't seem like a big change. 

  • Reply 26 of 31
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Finally, there are plenty of App Store apps that offer local maps. I'm a big fan of Tom Tom's app which will has features and an "intelligence" that neither Apple Maps nor Google Maps have, although I'm not sure if Tom Tom has updated their apps to work with CarPlay

     

    TomTom U.S.A does not work with CarPlay, as far as I know.

     

    But it works great for me with my own customized version of CarPlay with a 9.7" screen:

     

     

    And, as long as I have the WiFi + Cellular iPad plugged into the power adapter, I can use Siri hands-free to open apps, play music, search for other directions using Apple's Maps app, etc. 

  • Reply 27 of 31
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post




    Yeesh. Though I’d say the same for just about every vehicle UI in the last few decades.

     

    Apple needs to reinvent the car. 

  • Reply 28 of 31
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 612member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO][LEFT][/LEFT]Called a local car audio shop and put a deposit on the last remaining unit. Then, started reading up on this model.

    FM/AM radio is available - that's good.
    Backup camera connection is available - the guy at the car audio shop says he doesn't know if my car camera connector needs an adapter, but he said he could make one. The backup camera will function as factory unit does.
    Absence of Bluetooth is bad - I don't understand this decision. If the phone is not plugged in, you can't take a call. This is not quite a deal breaker, but a disappointment.
    However, if I want to use Google Maps, I can plug in the phone and not start Carplay. I can then use Google Maps on my phone just like I do now. Google Maps is far superior to Apple Maps, and in the city where I live, live traffic that Google Maps offers as well as lane guidance totally destroys Apple Maps. However, what will happen to phone calls if I am using Google Maps with Carplay not activated? Will it ring through the car audio or not? This is a huge question, and it appears that without Bluetooth, the best I can get from this unit is charging the iPhone with Carplay off. With Carplay on, I can't use google Maps because the phone screen is not usable. Also, with Carplay off, I can't play any music from my iPhone through this unit even if I try to play it on the phone screen, true or not?

    So, with Carplay off, this is a pretty lame proposition. With Carplay on, there's no reliable navigation. To answer a phone call, one must plug in the phone. One must also launch Carplay to be able to answer the phone on the Unit, true or not?

    At this point, investing $1000 into this, including the installation and the adapter kits for my car, is way too risky. My factory head unit - as lame as it is - has built-in Nav, Bluetooth, and can play music from the iPhone in the iPod mode on its touchscreen. And, Google Maps outputs voice navigation to the car speakers - both via the USB cable and via the Bluetooth.

    Why would Alpine want to cripple this head unit by depriving it of Bluetooth is beyond me.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jmnjmn Posts: 3member
    Very helpful info. I imagine that they will add Bluetooth in a future model.
  • Reply 30 of 31

    FYI, Alpine has just put ILX-007 Owner's Manual on their web site.

  • Reply 31 of 31
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 725editor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

     
     

    Called a local car audio shop and put a deposit on the last remaining unit. Then, started reading up on this model.



    FM/AM radio is available - that's good.

    Backup camera connection is available - the guy at the car audio shop says he doesn't know if my car camera connector needs an adapter, but he said he could make one. The backup camera will function as factory unit does.

    Absence of Bluetooth is bad - I don't understand this decision. If the phone is not plugged in, you can't take a call. This is not quite a deal breaker, but a disappointment.

    However, if I want to use Google Maps, I can plug in the phone and not start Carplay. I can then use Google Maps on my phone just like I do now. Google Maps is far superior to Apple Maps, and in the city where I live, live traffic that Google Maps offers as well as lane guidance totally destroys Apple Maps. However, what will happen to phone calls if I am using Google Maps with Carplay not activated? Will it ring through the car audio or not? This is a huge question, and it appears that without Bluetooth, the best I can get from this unit is charging the iPhone with Carplay off. With Carplay on, I can't use google Maps because the phone screen is not usable. Also, with Carplay off, I can't play any music from my iPhone through this unit even if I try to play it on the phone screen, true or not?



    So, with Carplay off, this is a pretty lame proposition. With Carplay on, there's no reliable navigation. To answer a phone call, one must plug in the phone. One must also launch Carplay to be able to answer the phone on the Unit, true or not?



    At this point, investing $1000 into this, including the installation and the adapter kits for my car, is way too risky. My factory head unit - as lame as it is - has built-in Nav, Bluetooth, and can play music from the iPhone in the iPod mode on its touchscreen. And, Google Maps outputs voice navigation to the car speakers - both via the USB cable and via the Bluetooth.



    Why would Alpine want to cripple this head unit by depriving it of Bluetooth is beyond me.

     

    What's striking for me is, why wouldn't Alpine just force it to launch CarPlay on plugging in the phone? Otherwise, just plugging in a cable and having it work is fine by me. Bluetooth is added steps and room for failed connection.

     

    With CarPlay on, you should be able to use Google Maps from the phone and have the Google Maps voice navigation play over the car speakers. Yes, interacting with the phone sort of defeats the purpose, but there you are - it will still work as it does with your factory version.

     

    There's no headunit I know of that includes Google Maps natively, but the Parrot Asteroid Smart running Android Gingerbread that I reviewed a while back? I was able to root it and install Google Maps to it. It also handled call audio over Bluetooth, which seems to be something you like.

Sign In or Register to comment.