Cook blames death of iPod classic on parts availability, no replacement planned

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 85

I disagree.  Who's making money streaming music?  At least not the money that Apple likes to make. Does Apple make money on their one cloud thing, iCloud?  No.  So why is the solution the cloud?

iTune sales are down, yes we agree.  But why?  Is it the cloud, or is it that Apple has not kept up with the latest tech?  High Rez audio cannot be streamed from the cloud.  The bandwidth is just not there and the technical hurtles are big.  Apple does not make their money on software or stuff in the cloud.  Apple needs to come out with something like what Astell & Kern has with their ak240.  That is one heck of a piece of hardware and it stores a boatload of high rez downloaded music.

In the past storage capacity was the issue.  That is why you had MP3.  So you could fit a lot of music on a device with limited storage.  Now that storage in not a limiting factor, the next logical step is to go high rez.  Something you can't do in the cloud.  This is what will get people back into buying music and buying music is what made iTunes a success.

It could easily be that iTune sales are down because Apple has sorely lagged the market on the trend of high rez pocket players.  It is another device people will buy.  You can't back this much tech into a phone and not everyone with a phone will invest in this level of equipment.  But for those who care, they will.  Steve Jobs was an audiophile.  There is not doubt in my mind that if Steve was still around, a cool looking high rez player would have the Apple name on it.

• Reply 82 of 85
    nicmartnicmart Posts: 13member
    Why didn't Apple license other companies to make high-storage players that can sync with iTunes? Because that would cost it 0.00000001 percent of its profit, and show it to be a techno dinosaur. It's just a phone company.
  • Reply 83 of 85
    nicmartnicmart Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some guy said he had 40,000 tracks in his music collection. This has to be the exception not the norm. Outside of the MacPro Apple doesn't really design and sell products that only appeal to a niche market.

53,347 here. Takes up half of my MBP's 1TB SSD. Still waiting for iTunes Match to allow me to pay for it. :)

I have 78,000 tracks. Tried Match. Didn't work. Now iTunes behaves badly.
  • Reply 84 of 85
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    nicmart said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Some guy said he had 40,000 tracks in his music collection. This has to be the exception not the norm. Outside of the MacPro Apple doesn't really design and sell products that only appeal to a niche market.

53,347 here. Takes up half of my MBP's 1TB SSD. Still waiting for iTunes Match to allow me to pay for it. :)

I have 78,000 tracks. Tried Match. Didn't work. Now iTunes behaves badly.
    How did it "not work"? Details, please. 

I've got 80,000 tracks and have been considering Match since they've raised the limit to 100,000 tracks...