Apple's iPhone 6 Plus selling unexpectedly well as supply equalizes, says T-Mobile CEO

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    nht wrote: »
    May be correct in the long term = Is incorrect today.

Even more so in TS' case given how vehement he was about it and how he denigrated any opinion to the contrary.

This. Even more so given that No Skills is almost always wrong yet never learns. You can disagree nicely. It's vastly worse when you're constantly a rude ass and constantly wrong to boot.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Even more so in TS' case given how vehement he was about it and how he denigrated any opinion to the contrary.

That is his MO.  He does not have an opinion that he isn't passionate (and way too confident) about.   And he offers a LOT of opinions.  He will typically denigrate you if you disagree, as you point out.  I have seen him end up wrong on many occasions but have rarely seen a mea culpa.

• Reply 43 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    captain j wrote: »
    This. Even more so given that No Skills is almost always wrong yet never learns. You can disagree nicely. It's vastly worse when you're constantly a rude ass and constantly wrong to boot.

I have no issue with you disagreeing with us forum members but don't take potshots at usernames. I'm pretty sure that falls under an ad hominem attack if it were tone reported.

PS: if one is going to attack another poster I implore everyone to at least try to make it clever and funny for the entertainment of others.
  • Reply 44 of 58

That's facile logic.

If I stated, "One day, I'll be dead," that will be correct in the long term, but you can't say my statement is incorrect as I didn't say, "I'm dead right now," even if my ex-girlfreind told me I'm dead inside.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So Tallest Ski, you ready to take back your ultra-confident assertion that 6+ sales would only be a tiny fraction of 6 sales? You mocked me for suggesting that they would't be that far off. 

Is a quarter a “tiny fraction”? Do you have actual numbers you can show me now?

• Reply 46 of 58
    Is a quarter a “tiny fraction”?

Nope. And the percentages seem to be much closer to a 50/50 split, than 75/25.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

I admittedly have little patience for someone who quotes me then proceeds to twist the point I'm making into something else I didn't say. Having to break down my point into numbered steps to make you understand reminded me of the last time I had to explain something to my son. My apologies.

Here's your problem... you are not quite as smart as you believe.

You were trying to put down another member for his thoughts. Thoughts you got wrong, for that matter. That's not what TS said.

But, anyway...

What I was trying to put across to you, and what you completely missed, is that it wouldn't matter if Apple had only offered just a 4.7 and a revised 4... sales would have still beat anything that is offered by Samsung or any other competitor. That Apple offered a phablet has nothing to do with the fact that others are making them. It's not a given that Apple would have offered a phablet because Samsung sells them. Apple could still have stolen market share with just the 4.7 and the 4... as I mentioned before.

Buying any Apple product is a no brainer... because of the OS.

• Reply 48 of 58
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And the percentages seem to be much closer to a 50/50 split, than 75/25.

I do find that interesting. The 5+ is way outside the use case of people who want a phone, but it feels markedly better in the hand than anything else in its size category.

The thing that mystifies me the most is the apparent number of people who are okay looking stupid carrying Palm Pilot-sized devices around. I mean, back in the day that was the smallest anything could be. They were big and unwieldy and not good for much of anything. Now they’re big and unwieldy and perhaps good for too much of everything if some complaints about 700 apps hold any water (they don’t; no one needs that many apps). How is it desirous now, after decades of push toward miniaturization, to have something that large and less usable?

“Watching video...”

Okay, one use case. From the same people who whine that “using a phone as a phone is just one use”. Me, I want my pocket device, my portable device, and my desktop device. iPhone, 13” iPad, and 32” Jonathan, personally. Anything in between those categories’ designed sizes seems like the froaster idea.

• Reply 49 of 58
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

captain j wrote: »

Greg Joswiak, from Apple, has also mentioned today that it is too soon to confirm the success of the iPhone 6 Plus just yet.

From his RE Code interview

"It’s too soon to know, Joswiak said, whether the surprising popularity of the mini tablet-sized iPhone 6 Plus that T-Mobile Chief Executive John Legere noted in his remarks on Monday represents a trend."
  • Reply 50 of 58
    I do find that interesting. The 5+ is way outside the use case of people who want a phone, but it feels markedly better in the hand than anything else in its size category.

It's curves are highly functional. I was in an AT&T store yesterday and noticed the Android-based devices have a lip so the metal edge is slightly higher than the top glass. Even with the curved casing that small, rough lip makes them less natural to use than the new beveled glass edge on the iPhone 6 series. Huge fan of that design.

I'm giving it a shot. I was able to sell off my barely used Retina iPad mini which is great, and I do have use case for the better camera and larger screen for work. However, I also had to rearrange icons I haven't changed for years before that top row and the left side are harder to get to. Messages was always at the upper left, and I had to stick it on the bottom of the main grouping. I would really like the icons to snap to grid anywhere on the page so I can remove all icons from the top two rows.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Anytime is a good time to bring up Fandroids and how tragically pathetic Android is!

Android is losing ground in much of the civilized world amongst those with the means to truly choose what they desire. 

The overwhelming majority of Android phones ever made are pure junk. It is shameful how they even qualify to be called smartphones. While older Apple phones get used and passed on to new happy users, Android phones that are not even that old are already obsolete and ready for the landfill. If I were an environmentalist, I'd be mighty upset.

It's not surprising at all that demand for the iPhone 6 is off the charts!

I've said this before, but Apple Pay is a HUGE feature! People want convenience and even more importantly, they demand security, especially in this day and age! Android offers neither, quite the contrary! Android is about as convenient as getting an enema and it is about as secure as letting a convicted pedophile babysit your children.

What a ridiculous statement! As a healthcare provider who has performed more than my share of diagnostic enemas I am highly insulted that you compared enemas to Google Android. 8-)
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Love iPhone but it's hard to pick which one to get. I used this decision tree chipbrown.me/2014/09/18/iphone-6-or-6-plus-this-makes-the-decision-easy/

And here's a funny-ish vine video all the iPhones thru their evolution.

• Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You were trying to put down another member for his thoughts. Thoughts you got wrong, for that matter. That's not what TS said.

But, anyway...

What I was trying to put across to you, and what you completely missed, is that it wouldn't matter if Apple had only offered just a 4.7 and a revised 4... sales would have still beat anything that is offered by Samsung or any other competitor. That Apple offered a phablet has nothing to do with the fact that others are making them. It's not a given that Apple would have offered a phablet because Samsung sells them. Apple could still have stolen market share with just the 4.7 and the 4... as I mentioned before.

It's not that I think I'm all that smart. We aren't talking rocket science here. It's simply that, based on your posts I've read, I frankly think you are not very smart. I usually don't verbalize my opinions like that on the forums, but I figure, if you're going to quote me and "interpret" my points incorrectly, I might as well be honest about it. It's all good, though. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. Otherwise, we'll just keep going round and round making the same points to each other.

• Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

It's not that I think I'm all that smart. We aren't talking rocket science here. It's simply that, based on your posts I've read, I frankly think you are not very smart. I usually don't verbalize my opinions like that on the forums, but I figure, if you're going to quote me and "interpret" my points incorrectly, I might as well be honest about it. It's all good, though. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. Otherwise, we'll just keep going round and round making the same points to each other.

Hmmmm... let's review your original statement:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

One of the things that amuses me about the the success of the 6 and 6+ is how smug and arrogant Tallest Skis and his ilk were when declaring how horrible an idea it would be for Apple to have a choice of different-sized iPhones, have iPhones any bigger than 4", etc. It's been clear as day that there is a sizable market for large phones, seeing as how the most successful Android phones, the Galaxy S's, have been 5" and larger for a couple generations now and the Galaxy Note series has been gaining more and more momentum with each generation.

... and, now, let's review my last reply:

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

But, anyway...

So... I didn't understand you?

I thought you said that it was clear that there was a market for the larger phones because they have been a huge success for Apple's competitors.

... and I replied that Apple's decision and Apple's success were not so clear if based on competitor's sales, but, rather, that Apple would have been successful regardless of size because of the OS.

Wow. Just wow.

• Reply 55 of 58
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's facile logic.

If I stated, "One day, I'll be dead," that will be correct in the long term, but you can't say my statement is incorrect as I didn't say, "I'm dead right now," even if my ex-girlfreind told me I'm dead inside.

I've been here a long time and toxic posters like TS with their vehement "predictions" that add as much noise as the obvious trolls that infests this site from time to time.

It is not "facile logic" because his statement was not a long term prediction as in your reductio ad absurdum example but a prediction that a product would not be made or if made be unappealing to consumers based on his own narrow minded opinions.   The fact is that the 6+ had a very successful launch and Apple has already sold every one it has made and will sell every one it can make for the next few months with solid demand in every market including South Korea.  So TODAY he is WRONG.  At some point in the future he might be right but there are no indications that he will be correct. 

I have no issue with folks that believe something.  I have an issue with folks that believe something to the point that they mock other for having an alternative opinion AND has such an abysmal track record of predictions that he should be a paid analyst for wall street.

• Reply 56 of 58
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

I have no issue with folks that believe something.  I have an issue with folks that believe something to the point that they mock other for having an alternative opinion AND has such an abysmal track record of predictions that he should be a paid analyst for wall street.

Not sure where you get ‘abysmal’. I’ve only ever been wrong about the iPhone.

• Reply 57 of 58
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not sure where you get ‘abysmal’. I’ve only ever been wrong about the iPhone.

And the iPad Mini.

And the iPhone name.

And many other statements and predictions.

There should be a claim chowder bookmark feature for huddler.