Rumor: Office for Mac to get Retina redesign, feature parity with Windows in Q1 2015

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    pfisher wrote: »

Or use Office online for free. There are alternatives out there for the vast majority of people. People think they have to use Office.

Ummm not really. Corporate America uses Office because it's the best product out there. It just works. Really.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And remember. Office for Mac saved Apple from oblivion.

No, but enjoy your delusions.

• Reply 23 of 32

Windows Office version: 2007, 2010, 2013. Three years between each one. Mac Office version: 2008, 2011, and the next one probably 2014. Each one came out one year after the windows version. So why are business so concerned now? BS article.

• Reply 24 of 32
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Unless they're releasing Access on Mac, there won't be "feature parity". The only reason my non-profit organization running friends haven't bought Macs to replace their awful Windows setups is because they rely heavily on Access databases and Access in specific for database editing and management.

Microsoft knows this is a major office feature keeping businesses trapped in Windows. When Microsoft gives up on their desire to globally dominate all computing with the Windows OS, then, and only then, will they get serious about their Mac software.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    It's funny because I won't buy a subscription for my Windows 7 machine, until I can use it across all my machines, and finally this is going to happen. Sorry.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

I'm curious how much this "feature parity" is due to Ballmer no longer being Microsoft's CEO.

• Reply 27 of 32
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Unless they're releasing Access on Mac, there won't be "feature parity". The only reason my non-profit organization running friends haven't bought Macs to replace their awful Windows setups is because they rely heavily on Access databases and Access in specific for database editing and management.

Microsoft knows this is a major office feature keeping businesses trapped in Windows. When Microsoft gives up on their desire to globally dominate all computing with the Windows OS, then, and only then, will they get serious about their Mac software.

Yep. I know people with small businesses who are suffering HUGELY from Windows (they know their business, not computers; and Windows--including malware--gets them into big trouble and wastes their time). Yet they rely on Access, so... Windows it is! They'd love to go Mac if they could.

• Reply 28 of 32
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Still happy to use Office for Mac 2011. I don't need another yearly subscription fee in my life.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Yeah this is a long time coming.

1.The icons and fonts are tiny and hard to see

2. the software itself feels slow and unoptimized.

3. Buggy Office 365 implementation

4. Buggy Onedrive implementation

--

Love Apple's iWork design but nobody uses iWork at work or school, so it's pointless.

• Reply 30 of 32

This is pretty good news. I plan on picking up the 5K iMac and already have an Office 365 subscription.

That said, as someone mentioned earlier on the thread, Office for Mac is not nearly as important as it was a couple of years back.

I assume this will really be a good update given how Nadella seems to be focused on revamping the aging cash cows that are Windows and Office. While 100% feature parity is improbable, this should still be a good release.

I only wish Office for Mac supports iCloud Drive in addition to OneDrive. I want iCloud Drive to be the hub for all online storage.

And while we are at it, why can't Apple release an iCloud Drive app? It shows all documents you have on iCloud and clicking on them opens them in their respective apps. If I have a file that is not in the 'Numbers' or 'Pages' folder on iCloud Drive, I simply cannot access it on my iPad/ iPhone.

They have an app for Game Center anyway and I'm not sure how useful it is. An iCloud Drive app seems more useful.

• Reply 31 of 32

As bad as it is, I'd rather use Pages 5 than Microsoft Word. Word has been painful to use, so much so I abandoned it shortly after buying Office 2011.

• Reply 32 of 32
    This is pretty good news. I plan on picking up the 5K iMac and already have an Office 365 subscription.

That said, as someone mentioned earlier on the thread, Office for Mac is not nearly as important as it was a couple of years back.

I assume this will really be a good update given how Nadella seems to be focused on revamping the aging cash cows that are Windows and Office. While 100% feature parity is improbable, this should still be a good release.

I only wish Office for Mac supports iCloud Drive in addition to OneDrive. I want iCloud Drive to be the hub for all online storage.

And while we are at it, why can't Apple release an iCloud Drive app? It shows all documents you have on iCloud and clicking on them opens them in their respective apps. If I have a file that is not in the 'Numbers' or 'Pages' folder on iCloud Drive, I simply cannot access it on my iPad/ iPhone.

They have an app for Game Center anyway and I'm not sure how useful it is. An iCloud Drive app seems more useful.

I agree about iCloud Drive.

In the meantime, try Documents by Readdle. It shows all your iCloud Drive folders, and you can read and write to everything. It even has list view!