Apple hit with class-action lawsuit over 2011 MacBook Pro graphics failures

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

My iPhone 5 had to be replaced 4 times in the first month. While Apple paid for that under warranty it says a lot about the lack of quality in a premium priced product

No, it doesn't. I've never had a single iPhone replaced, they've all served their full lifespans. I'm guessing most others have the same experience. You're an extreme outlier if you got a single iPhone replaced 4 times, and you must know that- so you must also know that making encompassing generalizations about Apple's lack of quality based on your rare experience is pretty idiotic, and trollish. Amazing how this product that has "lack of quality" was not only the best reviewed phone of its time, but also the best selling, with the highest customer satisfaction. And that includes slightly more data points than your suspicious story. 

Although my iPhone 5 is the fastest iPhone I've had, it’s also the only one I've had two hardware repairs to, paid by Apple, and is easily the worst in terms of reliability, due to battery life, random reboots, a failed power button and fit and finish. My iPhone 4 had the best finish and reliability.

• Reply 62 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglopaddy View Post

Whilst agreeing wholeheartedly with you that Apple generally are brilliant at dealing with faults and repairs claimed under warranty or Apple Care, especially when dealt with politely, they can be disappointing when dealing with items like these graphics failures. My wife and I have each had problems with our respective 2011 MBP's and these problems came outside of the warranty period. We did not have Apple Care. We are British based here in the UK and inherently polite possibly to the point of being walkovers when we complain. Managers and Geniuses in Apple stores told us repeatedly that there was no inherent fault with the MBP from 2011 despite whatever evidence we found to the contrary online and presented to them. We were, we told, the only people experiencing our particular problems. So we had repairs made and we paid - in my case twice. Our loyalty to Apple continues to be expressed in our continued commitment to buying yet more Apple products as they appear - but here we are with a class action ongoing over in the US of A over the same problem we have had and no recourse here. My wife gave up her MBP last year and I bought her a Mac Air. My MBP staggers on regardless - but having failed twice will there be a third time?

It's really sad and disappointing to hear that story. What do you say you right a short letter in that wonderful Oxford prose to Tim Cook, explaining your situation and why you still value Apple products. Stranger things have happened than TC actually replying... so I would say it's worth a shot.

I do mean this in all seriousness, and of course did not mean "all people" walk into an Apple store with a chip on their shoulder. It just appears that way from the knee-jerking crowd coming across the loudest in these cases.

Glad to see you've learnt your lesson.

So try not spouting off generalisations next time. And cool it with the insults.

• Reply 63 of 86
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    winter wrote: »
    I agree. I love the strides Intel is making and glad that Apple pushed them to that level. I hope Intel keeps making these strides and never stops as long as it possible so that nVidia and AMD only are ahead of the pack with hardcore gamer notebooks.

How do you think Apple pushed them to that level?

In desktops and laptops, AMD and Nvidia are their major, and pretty much only competitor.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    How do you think Apple pushed them to that level?

In desktops and laptops, AMD and Nvidia are their major, and pretty much only competitor.

I remember reading that Steve Jobs did not want to rely on AMD and nVidia for better graphics performance. I forget where I read it.
  • Reply 65 of 86

As many of you probably know, this issue has been around for three years. I received several warnings from Apple Communities after mentioning the issue on their boards. (And mentioning it politely and constructively.)

Apparently, some mods are very sensitive about this issue.

One of the best and most complete surveys of the logic board problem can be found here:

http://logicboardmac.blogspot.com

Most of the problems occurred with early 2011 MacBook Pros - typically 15 and 17" units. These were (and still are) expensive machines, and their failure typically requires a logic/graphics board replacement. The price of the repairs can be somewhere between $200 and $600 in the US, and considerably more overseas. (From what I've read, the most reliable repair isn't done by Apple; it involves a re-ball for around $300.)

No one wins with this kind of issue. 

• Reply 66 of 86

to all 2011 mbp users: is this referring to early or late 2011?

If early: does this impact your next decision on buying MBP? Also, what do you think is causing this problem? editing?

If late: Does this impact on your next decision on buying MBP? I have late version..and I haven't end up in this situation...yet...but what do you guys do that made this happen?

• Reply 67 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    koban4max wrote: »
    to all 2011 mbp users: is this referring to early or late 2011?

It's both early and late models but just 15" or 17" with AMD dedicated graphics, not 13":

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/2011-macbook-pro-gpu-glitches/
    koban4max wrote: »
    Also, what do you think is causing this problem? editing?

I have late version..and I haven't end up in this situation...yet...but what do you guys do that made this happen?

It's a problem affecting the GPU. OS X uses the GPU for rendering the user interface and software like Final Cut Pro X uses it for computing. Gaming would do the worst damage because it maxes the GPU out for a prolonged period of time but even that isn't guaranteed to make it fail, it's very random. Some people have reported it happening with machines that have had very light use.
  • Reply 68 of 86

It seems that legal remedy is the only option available for anyone with  the affected machines. Some might recall a prior legal judgment relating to (I believe) certain 2007 MacBooks; a judge ordered a repair of machines with a faulty graphics chip. 

No one's saying what the source the problem might be, but it may include thermal paste, and overheated graphics chips from early 2011 MacBook Pro machines. Overheating is a common complaint. This also fits into the legal timeframe of prior settlements, which happen three or four years after the manufacture of the machines. Some users may have already migrated to another MacBook (or another brand), so this case relates to users who still own their machines. 

• Reply 69 of 86

Here in the UK I bought 2 MBP in May 2011. Both were for light use but pandered to the fact that we have each had had laptops for a long time and we wanted to upgrade and these were the first Macs either of ever owned - although we both had iPads and iPhones. We are "older" people not given to gaming on a screen - I admit to being the only guy still on this planet who has never, ever played any form of computer game - and neither of us have used any form of video editing software. Our respective usage was light. Our home and work offices come with their own desktops and we are mainly users of the internet, communication and document and spreadsheet software. My MBP failed twice - each time just out of warranty of either the initial purchase or the repair - and yet it was the graphics card. My wife's failed too and by this time I was so sick of paying to replace or repair I bought her an alternative.... I almost hate to say it was a Mac Air - it works well, no problems so far. My MBP is still in use though lightly and I don't trust it to last. Nonetheless, we each also now own iMacs, new iPads and iPhones - such is the power of Apple... but every device now is bought with Applecare.

• Reply 70 of 86
    Web browsing with video will set it off, too.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's both early and late models but just 15" or 17" with AMD dedicated graphics, not 13":

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/17/2011-macbook-pro-gpu-glitches/

It's a problem affecting the GPU. OS X uses the GPU for rendering the user interface and software like Final Cut Pro X uses it for computing. Gaming would do the worst damage because it maxes the GPU out for a prolonged period of time but even that isn't guaranteed to make it fail, it's very random. Some people have reported it happening with machines that have had very light use.

oh ok thx...i wasn't sure...but wow..so far no problem with mine...but i guess i haven't done heavy rendering yet...so i might end up like this ....

• Reply 72 of 86
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

oh ok thx...i wasn't sure...but wow..so far no problem with mine...but i guess i haven't done heavy rendering yet...so i might end up like this ....

It can happen pretty randomly. I didn't see any signs before it hit. It just blue screened one day when something invoked the AMD card. Of course it invokes that somewhat at startup, so the only way to make it boot is to disable all AMD libraries is by logging in as root and moving, renaming, or deleting them.

• Reply 73 of 86

I would like to officially say F*ck you Apple ans your shit shenanigans. You took advantage of the great reputation to squeeze the last bit of profit you could out of us...I've been with apple my whole life, waited patiently 1.5 years for the iphone 6 (+), but never mind the current shit you all produced. Say thanks to your shit excuse of employees aka "Geniuses" at the Raleigh, NC store for losing another customer for life, but also everyone I set out to influence to buy the much better alternatives Google offers. Customer service and reputation is and will be EVERYTHING for the next decade and since you worked so hard to build shitty shotty products, I vow to work twice as hard ensuring your lovely stocks prices plummet. Subtly and tactfully the anti-apple movement will begin to reign. I'll get my $4000 back somehow.

• Reply 74 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I'll get my $4000 back somehow.

If that was the 17" model, that was still an excessive amount to pay out. It's not a $4k loss you need to recoup though. The machine can be sold for parts and a working model can be bought for $1000-1300:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-17-A1297-MC725LL-A-Early-2011-Core-i7-2-2-GHz-4GB-750GB-/151458009253
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-17-MacBook-Pro-A1297-8GB-RAM-500GB-Harddrive-Anti-glare-screen-/331367726222

Not that you should buy those.
  • Reply 75 of 86

Actually, this catastrophic problem is much more widespread - afflicting iMac owners (particularly those like myself with 27" devices) across a number of years - from 2009 thru 2014, as well.

To date, hundreds (if not thousands) have experienced similar video card faults/failures - not due to excessive heat, but the lack thereof which causes the lead-free solder points to pull away from components, resulting in pixilation "snowstorms" that render displays useless, and eventually cause system shut-downs.

Apparently - despite several anecdotal user "solutions" - the only resolution promising any semblance of permanence is for owners to completely dismantle their iMacs (no mean feat, by the way), pull the video card and bake it for 7 minutes at 385~395 degrees in order to remelt/soften the solder sufficiently to reform solid component connections.

Some have spent hundreds of dollars at Apple Stores in futile efforts to resolve the problem by replacing motherboards, GPU's, and the like - in some cases, even replacing with "new", identical OEM video cards that then replicate the same problem!

Apple should compel AMD to provide upgraded replacement cards, and cover the cost of installation - regardless of AppleCare coverage or the lack thereof: This is a well-known issue that impacts a broad spectrum of Apple's clientele, and deserves such consideration... in an expedient manner!

• Reply 76 of 86
    Originally Posted by Brandon Raymond View Post

Subtly and tactfully the anti-apple movement will begin to reign.

Nah.

• Reply 77 of 86
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If that was the 17" model, that was still an excessive amount to pay out. It's not a $4k loss you need to recoup though. The machine can be sold for parts and a working model can be bought for $1000-1300:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBook-Pro-17-A1297-MC725LL-A-Early-2011-Core-i7-2-2-GHz-4GB-750GB-/151458009253

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-17-MacBook-Pro-A1297-8GB-RAM-500GB-Harddrive-Anti-glare-screen-/331367726222

Not that you should buy those.

I think they started around $2500. If he went with a 512 SSD  at 2011 pricing and Applecare it could have hit $4k. I wouldn't spend that much on a notebook though.

• Reply 78 of 86
    How do i get on the list in case Apple is forced to provide us with a fix?
  • Reply 79 of 86
    My computer started showing severe issues after installing Mavericks. Maybe it was a coincidence but if Mavericks creates more heat, then...
    But, IMHO, i don't think i should care who or what the problem is inside of this machine. I just want Apple to fix it. I'm not going to sleuth out their mess. I bought it from Apple. Apple needs to fix it.
  • Reply 80 of 86

... you will in 5 .. 4 ... 3...