Samsung, Apple retain global smartphone lead in Q3 as Xiaomi rockets into third

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Oh god, I'm that old?! Let me run to a phone booth and... Oh. So let me relax to some vinyl... Oh. Hm. Ok, I will go running with my walkm....

That old. image

Don't forget about your 8-Track tape player. Yea, I am that old!

• Reply 22 of 57
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    gtr wrote: »
    Hey Samsung,

What's that coming up behind you?

(Anybody who recognises what truck in a movie this is will automatically give away how old they are!)

Spielberg's Duel. Got it right away. ;)

I'm in my late 30s, but I can't stomach anything coming out of Hollywood since the early 2000s. So classics like this and foreign films have filled the void quite nicely.

Time for another Onibaba viewing very soon.

At any rate, they don't make em like that (Duel) anymore.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Spielberg's Duel. Got it right away. ;)

I'm in my late 30s, but I can't stomach anything coming out of Hollywood since the early 2000s. So classics like this and foreign films have filled the void quite nicely.

Time for another Onibaba viewing very soon.

At any rate, they don't make em like that (Duel) anymore.

Ditto.

Does that restaurant scene infuriate you to this day?

Which one of those bastards was the driver!
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Completely off topic, I know, and my apologies. But wow, what a watershed moment in corporate America:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-30/tim-cook-im-proud-to-be-gay
  • Reply 25 of 57
    My phone before my 6 Plus was an LG G3. It was a solid phone. I wouldn't mind seeing LG get a little more love. The few phones I've messed with of theirs have been pretty nice.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Who cares? He can wear a pink tutu and frock for all I care.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    My phone before my 6 Plus was an LG G3. It was a solid phone. I wouldn't mind seeing LG get a little more love. The few phones I've messed with of theirs have been pretty nice.

After a horrible experience with one of their phones a few years ago I won't touch their phones ever again.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hey Samsung,

(Anybody who recognises what truck in a movie this is will automatically give away how old they are!)

Nope and don't know who Dennis Weaver is either, let alone hear the words 'Mr Dillon, Mr Dillon' in my head accompanied by a foot scraping sound ;)
  • Reply 29 of 57
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

I don't want to drop the "Others" question. I'd like to know what products IDC includes under "Others" because it's absolutely huge. I also think this chart should be divided into classes of phones, which would show what's really happening and who has to potential to actually make any money. Apple doesn't sell a throwaway phone but I'm sure Samsung, Xiaomi and the Others group. Just because the phone has a display on it doesn't mean it's a smartphone. Why can't IDC make this distinction and provide a somewhat fair report on them? I don't care about feature or feature-less phones. You might as well include regular landline phones in this list. Some of them are better phones than the garbage I see advertised on TV for the elderly.

• Reply 30 of 57
    bradipao wrote: »
    If you are not a stakeholder, being happy for huge Apple (or Google or any other big corp) profits is like being happy for the big ransom of your kidnapper, it's a technological version of Stockholm syndrome.

That is a rather simplistic view and somewhat strange attitude. To assume a requirement for knowledge has to have a selfish motive is the thinking of warped thinking process or perhaps total lack of one.

Just showing overall sales data is about as useful to anyone as saying a film is 120 minutes in running time. You maybe happy selecting what movie to watch on that information alone but I would not.

Regardless of whether you are an 'stakeholder' or not if you have half a brain you'd know that sales data alone doesn't really tell you anything at all. High turn over could indicate a company about to bankrupt itself or one doing very well or anywhere in between.

On any topic I read about I want to have sufficient information so as to get a fuller picture of that subject so as to at least grasp some of the larger picture. As would anyone with an educated and inquiring mind.

I am sorry if that came over harsher than i intended ...
  • Reply 31 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rob53 wrote: »
    I don't want to drop the "Others" question. I'd like to know what products IDC includes under "Others" because it's absolutely huge. I also think this chart should be divided into classes of phones, which would show what's really happening and who has to potential to actually make any money. Apple doesn't sell a throwaway phone but I'm sure Samsung, Xiaomi and the Others group. Just because the phone has a display on it doesn't mean it's a smartphone. Why can't IDC make this distinction and provide a somewhat fair report on them? I don't care about feature or feature-less phones. You might as well include regular landline phones in this list. Some of them are better phones than the garbage I see advertised on TV for the elderly.

Motorola isn't on the list, so are they now listed as Lenovo, or are they now part of the 'others' group?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    sog35 wrote: »
    IDC won't do this because it will show what we all know.

Apple is absolutely DOMINATING the high end

We know that already. Others is likely too many to list.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    We know that already. Others is likely too many to list.

These IDC reports must be starting to have the reverse impact they were intended to have these days. For years they have succeeded in brainwashing the masses to believe Apple was a irrelevant in all things and all areas. Now after headlines stating Samsung have a 60% drop in profit then a report showing such high turnover, I bet even some of the less sharp out there are thinking .... 'Oh wait a minute ... so .... top sales numbers, massive profit drops ... might there be a relationship here?"

Those 'Others' sections always intrigue me. I can never fathom what on earth can have such massive impact even cumulatively, as to eclipse all others in so many of these type of nonsensical and meaningless graphs we see churned out ad nauseam. Are they actually simply hiding massive errors or could they just as easily be labeled 'no idea, just missing data'?
  • Reply 34 of 57
    These IDC reports must be starting to have the reverse impact they were intended to have these days. For years they have succeeded in brainwashing the masses to believe Apple was a irrelevant in all things and all areas. Now after headlines stating Samsung have a 60% drop in profit then a report showing such high turnover, I bet even some of the less sharp out there are thinking .... 'Oh wait a minute ... so .... top sales numbers, massive profit drops ... might there be a relationship here?"

Those 'Others' sections always intrigue me. I can never fathom what on earth can have such massive impact even cumulatively, as to eclipse all others in so many of these type of nonsensical and meaningless graphs we see churned out ad nauseam. Are they actually simply hiding massive errors or could they just as easily be labeled 'no idea, just missing data'?

Others would include Sony, Huawei, Blackberry, Nokia, and HTC. It's not all a bunch of companies we never heard of.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Found a website (http://bestmobs.com/section/phones/) listing all phone manufacturers/brands (or as many as they could find). Here they are in alphabetical order. Acer, Alcatel, AllWinnner, Amazon, Apple, Asus, Blackberry, BLU, Celkon, Coolpad, Cubot, Dell, Evolio, G-Tide, Gigabyte, Gionee, Google, Goophone, Haier, Hike, HP, HTC, Huawei, iBall, Infinix, InnJoo, Intex, iOcean, Jiake, Jiayu, Jivi, Jolla, Kabonn, Karbonn, Kingzone, Kyocera, Lava, Lenovo, LG, Meizu, Micromax, MLais, Motorola, Neken, Nokia, OnePlus, Oppo, Opsson, Panasonic, Samsung, Solo, Sony, Spice, Star, TCL, Tecno, THL, Umi, Vertu, Vivo, Voto, Xiaomi, Xolo, Zopo, ZTE. I'm sure most of you, like me, have never heard of most of these. I clicked on a few and they were mainly from China but I found some from India as well. Of course, these all look like iPhones. :-)

The non-easily identifiable brands probably make a whole lot of regional mobile devices as well as low-end devices for the masses in India and Africa (not offending these countries/continents just stating where they are sold). They constitute a valid list of manufacturers but I highly doubt they make very much money. I'm sure some of these manufacturers aren't in business anymore as well. Still, I'd rather see them listed in IDC's charts so we know where IDC is getting their information.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Others would include Sony, Huawei, Blackberry, Nokia, and HTC. It's not all a bunch of companies we never heard of.

Actually it is, see above.

• Reply 36 of 57

Looking at that list there's plenty of companies I've heard of, but a bunch I never have which still makes my statement true. It's not all a bunch of companies we never heard of. Last I checked all means all, and that's all all means.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Hey Samsung,

Steven Spielbergs first movie. Classic.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Wait, IDC was actually able to read apple's quarterly report and copy the number correctly this time. What happen, did they fire the old analyst who failed high school math. Or may be they really got the number wrong this time and they will fix it next time.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Ok thanks for clearing that up but an asterisk and an elaboration at the bottom would be nice especially for such well known companies being in that list.

I stand by the first paragraph.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Found a website (http://bestmobs.com/section/phones/) listing all phone manufacturers/brands (or as many as they could find). Here they are in alphabetical order. Acer, Alcatel, AllWinnner, Amazon, Apple, Asus, Blackberry, BLU, Celkon, Coolpad, Cubot, Dell, Evolio, G-Tide, Gigabyte, Gionee, Google, Goophone, Haier, Hike, HP, HTC, Huawei, iBall, Infinix, InnJoo, Intex, iOcean, Jiake, Jiayu, Jivi, Jolla, Kabonn, Karbonn, Kingzone, Kyocera, Lava, Lenovo, LG, Meizu, Micromax, MLais, Motorola, Neken, Nokia, OnePlus, Oppo, Opsson, Panasonic, Samsung, Solo, Sony, Spice, Star, TCL, Tecno, THL, Umi, Vertu, Vivo, Voto, Xiaomi, Xolo, Zopo, ZTE. I'm sure most of you, like me, have never heard of most of these. I clicked on a few and they were mainly from China but I found some from India as well. Of course, these all look like iPhones. :-)

The non-easily identifiable brands probably make a whole lot of regional mobile devices as well as low-end devices for the masses in India and Africa (not offending these countries/continents just stating where they are sold). They constitute a valid list of manufacturers but I highly doubt they make very much money. I'm sure some of these manufacturers aren't in business anymore as well. Still, I'd rather see them listed in IDC's charts so we know where IDC is getting their information.

Thanks... wow ...