Former head of Android Andy Rubin leaves Google to start tech hardware incubator

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Hardware stuff seems to be cool these days, and software has lost some of it's shine. I suppose after such a focus on software for so long there's some low hanging fruit in hardware now.

• Reply 42 of 48
    Hmm, sounds like the moonshot just came back down to earth.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Hmm, sounds like the moonshot just came back down to earth.

• Reply 44 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    FWIW roughly a billion smartphones shipped just last year alone. Around 150 million of those ran iOS.
    What do you think most of the rest were running as the OS, Windows?

I assume you have a massive financial stake in Google's success given the effort you put into trying to knock all things Apple and defend all things Google... But I digress, It must be getting tougher for Google to monetize that number of toys running Android, probably not a user base advertisers benefit from stalking. Judging by Samsung's recent stellar financial news, the evil plan seems to be failing.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    I assume you have a massive financial stake in Google's success given the effort you put into trying to knock all things Apple and defend all things Google... But I digress, It must be getting tougher for Google to monetize that number of toys running Android, probably not a user base advertisers benefit from stalking. Judging by Samsung's recent stellar financial news, the evil plan seems to be failing.

I agree, Android won't last forever. Nor will Google.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    What, he did not like his specially assignment, playing with robots anymore
  • Reply 47 of 48
    maestro64 wrote: »
    What, he did not like his specially assignment, playing with robots anymore

Perhaps he was uncomfortable with the level of responsibility given to him and the expectations to do something breakthrough.