Apple rumored to abandon iPad mini in 2015, move to 12-inch 'iPad Pro'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    Sounds like so much bullshit.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

if Apple offered a 32/64/128 lineup I bet 70% of the sales would be 32GB. That would absolutely DESTROY margins and profits.

Stop living in a dream world son. Next year you will probably expect Apple to sell the 128GB for $199

So no one should be selling 16GB devices anymore? So now you know more than the hundreds of reseachers and marketers that work at Apple? You arrogance is sickenning.

Steve Jobs always believed that if you focus on making the best products and delighting the user, profits will follow.  As far as I know, he never believed in profit first.  He believed profit was a measure or a result of how well you executed on your business vision.

So what if 60% to 70% buy the 32GB versioin? At the end of the day, they're still Apple customers and will spend on apps and services.  With the amount of space iOS takes up plus all the photos / videos people take with their devices, 16GB of storage leads to a poor experience.  And for what, an extra 2% margin?

• Reply 63 of 81
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    rogifan wrote: »
    One would assume when Apple released the mini they knew what was on the roadmap for the future - e.g. a larger phone and thinner/lighter full sized iPad. So that begs the question - was the mini really just a reaction to the market? Was it Apple panicking a bit with the media buzz all over these smaller cheaper "iPad killers"? Or did Apple release the mini knowing it would be a short lived product eventually replaced by a thinner/lighter full sized iPad?
    No. Apple released Mini to slow down the wave of Android 7". Now, with the superior of Air 2, and saturated 7" market, it's time to exit the small tablets.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    canukstorm wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »
    if Apple offered a 32/64/128 lineup I bet 70% of the sales would be 32GB. That would absolutely DESTROY margins and profits.

Stop living in a dream world son. Next year you will probably expect Apple to sell the 128GB for $199

So no one should be selling 16GB devices anymore? So now you know more than the hundreds of reseachers and marketers that work at Apple? You arrogance is sickenning.
    Steve Jobs always believed that if you focus on making the best products and delighting the user, profits will follow.  As far as I know, he never believed in profit first.  He believed profit was a measure or a result of how well you executed on your business vision.

So what if 60% to 70% buy the 32GB versioin? At the end of the day, they're still Apple customers and will spend on apps and services.  With the amount of space iOS takes up plus all the photos / videos people take with their devices, 16GB of storage leads to a poor experience.  And for what, an extra 2% margin?

totally agree here. My first iPhone and iPad were 16GB because I wasn't sure how fast I'd fill them up. It turns out it was a lot faster then I expected.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I think you're wrong. There are a lot of people that want more storage. Yes, 32GB would probably be the most popular but I don think it would destroy profits. And yeah I think 16GB devices should be for limited situations like schools or POS systems. When you have people NOT updating to the latest release of iOS because they don't have enough space on their device then Houston we have a problem. And don't give me that iTunes nonsense, if Apple offers OTA updates people should be able to update that way. Btw, it's not just me saying this. Go to any tech site and you'll see people complaining about 16GB offerings (for Android devices too).
  • Reply 66 of 81
    fallenjt wrote: »
    No. Apple released Mini to slow down the wave of Android 7". Now, with the superior of Air 2, and saturated 7" market, it's time to exit the small tablets.
    Except it didn't slow down anything. Cheap 7" Android tablets are all over the place.
  • Reply 67 of 81
    So Schiller gives you a 64GB phone/tablet for the same price as last years 32GB phone/table and you are mad at him?

Just proves you will never be satified no matter what he does.

What if I'll never use anything close to 64GB? Going from 16 to 64 is a huge jump. There are a lot of people who would be perfectly happy with 32GB. But like you said Apple bean counters got rid of it because they want as many people buying the $299/$599 price point as possible.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    canukstorm wrote: »

Jony Ive gets it but unfortunately it seems he's chosen to be far removed these kind of decisions. Too much financial engineering now vs just making great products and letting the profits follow.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    There's some survey numbers for marketshare here:

http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-ipad-air-more-popular-than-ipad-mini-in-december/

The mini and Air came out roughly even at 41% each with the remainder going to the other large iPads.

It's just the price point, if the larger Air could hit the same price point then everything can move down. I think the mini form factor is appealing though, it's much easier to handle for younger children and also for reading.

I can understand discontinuing the non-Retina models though.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Couldn't agree more. The iPad Mini is the first -- and only -- Apple product I've bought that I simply do not use. It's beautiful, but it's also redundant in my lineup.

Everyone might find a few devices apple makes redundant to their usage scenario though. Wouldn't the mini however be ideal for someone who opts to have a normal size iPhone, an iPad pro, a mac of any type, and a mini simply for portability and size? Say the same person opts out of touchscreens for their phone, or would rather have an el cheapo phone to not worry about theft, then a mac notebook, an iPad pro, and mini, is also a great scenario.

And it's also what Marvin said above, it can be really well suited for reading (book reading, rss reading, longform reading) and younger kids. And also ideal to have in a handbag. 

It's a great form factor, and let's also remember that Steve made the now famous sandpaper comment for smaller sized android devices that followed the 16:10, or worse the 16:9 form factor. And of course he was absolutely right. But at 4:3 the mini is perfectly sized. 

Moreover the mini is great little computer/communicator/radio/camera/reader/you name it.

Not everyone, esp. when they start out, will afford to pay for a mobile carrier and an iPhone, so, in comes the mini for voip, FaceTime, etc, photos, movies, etc. all easily offloaded at any point to any cloud for convenience. 

There's clearly a raison d' etre for the mini, and it ain't going away anytime soon. 

As an aside, in terms of the iPod, I foresee the beats guys and Ive might be working at a resurrection with stellar inbuilt audio, and great audio interfaces, mics, ample space (for a new music format too), for uncompressed music, etc. Maybe or maybe not if apple judges that devices have converged that far that the iPod doesn't have a place, but I am not so sure they do think that. This is a place to watch. 

• Reply 71 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    danielsw wrote: »
    Since I got my iPhone 6+ 128, I've not used my iPad Mini much at all. The iPhone is big enough, now, and it fits in my pocket, and it's a phone, and it's a lot faster, and it has Touch ID.
    I wouldn't carry one of those things if you paid me.

A phone's a phone, a tablet's a tablet. Unless every mini owner has also recently upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus phablet, then I don't see the correlation. While I may never buy a mini, I can imagine using one instead. But I can't imagine going any smaller to read the news with my morning coffee, any more than I'd want anything bigger to carry around with me to make phone calls on then my iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    Apple should have a desktop iPad called the iiPad.

AppleInsider should have a special edition designed to only run their app called the AIPad.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    Quote:

If people are too lazy to update using iTunes than they deserve to use an old OS.  I mean how lazy can people get.

I don't care what people on tech sites say about 16GB.  Those are 1%.  The 99% have no problem with Apple's pricing.  In fact I've heard 100x more good things from people talking about getting DOUBLE the memory for free with the 64GB phone.

Your problem is you are NEVER satisfied.  Apple gives you double the memory for free and you still cry like a baby.

For most Apple consumers they don't give a rip about the extra $100 to jump from 16GB to 64GB.  The average Apple customer makes $$$.

Maybe you should consider going Android since you are so price sensitive.

Your non sense that Apple should not worry about profits but just make good products is asinine.  Do you know Apple's profit margins?  Its only 23%.  For every dollar of revenue they only make 23 cents of profit.  That is lower Microsoft and Google.  Profit is what fuels further innovation.  Without profit you can't pay and retain the best talent.  You can't take up massive R&D projects, you can't pump BILLIONS into your world class ecosystem,  retail stores, best of the best customer service, ect.  You can't have one without the other. 

Wrong.  Go listen to Apple's Financial Quarterly Reports.  They've been averaging 36% Gross profit margins for awhile now.

• Reply 74 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Killing the Mini is okay. Personally, get rid of the Mini and Mini 2 next year, keep the Mini 3 around at $329 or so for the entry level model.

FWIW Google killed off the Nexus 7 too. Just like smartphones bigger apparently is supposed to be better.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW Google killed off the Nexus 7 too. Just like smartphones bigger apparently is supposed to be better.

For what it's worth, even MS killed its plans to sell a 7" to 8" Surface tablet.  They're focused on bigger, more productivity-based tablets.  There's actually rumors that they're considering a 13" to 14" Surface Pro tablet;

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20141103PD208.html

• Reply 76 of 81
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    iPads bigger than 12" will be the future of computing.
    It's only logical that Apple starts the trend.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    I don't neccesarily know with this, the IPad mini followed market of larger phones vs smaller tablets, unless there's a iphone 7+ inch in the line, this is screwy, so far IPad split to a double line, ipod is sitting in stores till it shuts down, and iphone is double line.
    The IPad mini is only 3rd generation with it been -$170 for year old hardware, -$100 for up to date hardware, and -$100 for year old hardware each time. Seems they are playing games with the market.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    For me the correct way for Apple to deal with a tablet should be a 12.2 inch iPad running OSX Yosemite as a touch screen operating system. That would be the max. No more need of a laptop.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wonder who’s happy about this...

My prediction a few days ago.

Quote:

BS.  Jobs was concerned about profits in his 2nd go around with Apple.

Just look at how much the first iPhone was.  $400 with carrier subsity.  Look how much the first iPod cost.  Without profits a company will DIE.  Anyone knows you can't survive if your customers only buy the cheapest models in your line up.

16GB is enough for many people.  Its called the CLOUD.  For advanced users 16GB is not enough but those users already know that and won't buy a 16GB but the 64 or 128.

whoever thinks 16GB is not enough probably BS. Typical users don't have 100+ apps on a damn phone. I have 90 apps with 3.8 GB of pictures at full resolution on my 16GB iPhone 5S and still have 3GB left. Unless you download and keep those Garage Band or high graphic games,  you wouldn't use up the space that quickly. Now, with iCloud drive, your pictures don't need to be at full resolution on the device, but iCloud. That would cut down the space usage by 80% for pictures.

• Reply 80 of 81
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronhd View Post

For me the correct way for Apple to deal with a tablet should be a 12.2 inch iPad running OSX Yosemite as a touch screen operating system. That would be the max. No more need of a laptop.

If you don't mind me asking, why OS X? 

For the preexisting software? That'd be the only real reason I could see wanting OS X over iOS. At the current moment in time, except for the hardware behind it (which is "potentially" more powerful than any iDevice), iOS and OS X's internal APIs are shaping to be very similar, offering similar components and API accessibility between the two. You can do the same things with software, albeit a few more restrictions, on iOS that you couldn't do (easily) in the past. iOS is best for touch devices since it is battery efficient and UIKit.