Apple granted patent covering motion-based 'remote wand' controllers for Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

This is Sog35' iHomeCentrer. Hey Sog35, this is quite underwhelming, isn't it?

• Reply 22 of 25
    fallenjt wrote: »
    This is Sog35' iHomeCentrer. Hey Sog35, this is quite underwhelming, isn't it?

Don't rule the AppleTV out as a HomeKit server/control center -- it has all the necessary hardware/software capabilities -- and it is hundreds of $ cheaper than any other iDevice.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh so this is the Wii-like remote Steve Jobs was talking about.

Nintendo and Apple are my favorite tech companies. They both hold each others missing puzzle pieces its funny.

Nintendo had touchscreen devices and the App Store concept before Apple but they move at a snails pace while everyone else eats their lunch (copycat Sony, non-innovative MS and in a funny way Apple).

Nintendo lately has been abandoning the Wiimote which is the stupidest thing they've done. I would love for Apple to aquire them, put an m-chip in the Wiimote and give them a 100 Million dollar budget for Smash Bros. but the company is 100 years old and I'm not sure if Japan would let thrm sell to a foreign company.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I would love for Apple to acquire them, put an m-chip in the Wiimote...

Oh, man, can you imagine?

...and give them a 100 Million dollar budget for Smash Bros.

I may have to leave my laptop to find an appropriate reaction image to express just how much I’d love this.

...but the company is 100 years old and I’m not sure if Japan would let them sell to a foreign company.

See, that’s the thing. Japan aside (because forget what the country wants), Nintendo has often stated that they will not compromise on their beliefs and their stance on many things. I know that within the gaming industry itself, they have said that this means torpedoing all of their franchises rather than letting them be ruined by other companies should Nintendo ever go bankrupt. For that I respect them; I like a company that sticks to “making great games” over anything else. Reminds me, as you said, of Apple. Also the fact that Nintendo invents nearly everything in the industry and is copied by the other two.

But in an Apple purchase? That’s not destructive to Nintendo’s operation in any way, since Apple has no existing interest in games. They would, quite probably, be allowed to continue operating nearly exactly as before, except now they would have nearly unlimited access to the best hardware in every category imaginable the world has to offer. Imagine what handheld games could be created without being restricted to the pathetic ARM chip in the 3DS? Imagine what console games could be created with an Apple-designed custom GPU and Intel CPU?

Imagine Nintendo’s back catalogue coming to OS X and iOS. Imagine Nintendo’s future catalogue being released simultaneously on their new console (under Apple) and OS X, and on 3DS/iOS. That’s dozens of billions of dollars for Nintendo. And with access to Apple engineering, more sales on dedicated gaming hardware.

It’s a beautiful combination that, sadly, I believe will be out of reach in perpetuity. Though this is ‘New Apple’ under Cook. I know I’d send out a feeler or ten if it was me...

• Reply 25 of 25

I've already seen this on The Big Bang Theory.