Rumor: Apple working on glasses-less 3D display for future iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

3D died in the 1950's. It died again in the 1980's. Now it's gasping for air.

This is not news to me, child. It has not been tried on the hand-held level, and it has not been tried by humane photographers, as opposed to hollywood trashmakers and violent game makers. The medium may be the message, but content can poison the medium.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    As Flaneur has pointed out - this is not about 3D movies but control surfaces and how we might interact with them.
    I include this link

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/20/apple-patents-3d-gesture-ui-for-ios-based-on-proximity-sensor-input
  • Reply 23 of 38
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Agree.  Nintendo's market cap is $15B

Apple could sell $15B in Mario/Zelda games in 3 years

I love SuperMario on my iOS device...greatest game ever.

• Reply 24 of 38

shhtt, Samsung will come out with something to be the FIRST next year.

• Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

3D died in the 1950's. It died again in the 1980's. Now it's gasping for air.

3D died again lately too...on those TV. The damn 3-D glasses are annoying to wear. Do you see more of Smart TVs than 3-D TVs nowadays than 2 years ago?

• Reply 26 of 38
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 383member

So long as it doesn't ruin the experience of those who don't have stereoscopic vision, I'm fine with it.  It needs to be an option that can be turned off in the Accessibility settings.

• Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

As Flaneur has pointed out - this is not about 3D movies but control surfaces and how we might interact with them.

I include this link

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/08/20/apple-patents-3d-gesture-ui-for-ios-based-on-proximity-sensor-input

I never thought I'd be one to do this, but I disabled the parallax effect in iOS. I finally started to feel dizzy with all of the unnecessary zooming in and out. I far prefer without distracting transitions now.

• Reply 28 of 38
    bonobob wrote: »
    So long as it doesn't ruin the experience of those who don't have stereoscopic vision, I'm fine with it.  It needs to be an option that can be turned off in the Accessibility settings.

Correct.
  • Reply 29 of 38

I never thought I'd be one to do this, but I disabled the parallax effect in iOS. I finally started to feel dizzy with all of the unnecessary zooming in and out. I far prefer without distracting transitions now.

I've noticed that some people have vestibular systems that are more finely tuned, shall we say, and can tolerate less fooling around with animated horizons, etc. One friend, who is a professional juggler and "equilibriste," can't handle 3-D at all. The separation of video into left and right streams and feeding them to each eye in isolation is a kind of ultrastereo, like headphones are, and it may take some practice to train the ancient binocular circuits that have languished since we ceded visual control to the neocortex and the left brain with 2-D media. Whether it's worth it will be an individual matter, sorted out by innovation and the marketplace.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    mazecookie wrote: »

Agreed. Nintendo would be an amazing buy for Apple.

Imagine pushing out a new Apple TV with some gaming functionality, and having all of the Nintendo classics reworked into apps, only available on the App store? 

+ using the tech from PrimeSense + Nintento's existing tech, Apple could push some really interesting stuff into the gaming market.
    Yeah, why can't apple join the fight against Microsoft in another industry? Wouldn't it be interesting.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyPie View Post

Kinda a dumb move if true, I don't need my icons bulging out to me when looking at my iPhone.

no, the only dumb thing is pretending you have any idea how it will work if true.

• Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

LOL  Amazon already beat them to it!

not if it doesnt work well. see the PC. and mp3 player. and cellphone. and tablet. and...

>shake head< some people never learn. 

• Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

i dont find it unnecessary or distracting. i like that the zoom shows me where an app is when entering or leaving it.

• Reply 34 of 38
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    no, the only dumb thing is pretending you have any idea how it will work if true.

Guess that must make you a smart guy.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Apple should slow the hell down and focus more on some of their core products before turning into Google and having a finger in every pot. Used to be the reputation of its core products was solid. But now, so many issues raise their ugly and Inopportune heads.

1. Unable to connect to the iTunes store at this time. Please try again later. FAIL.
    No longer purchasing my digital movies from there. Back to physical media which always works. I rip to my server, and no issues.

2. iPhone 6 (64Gb) syncing issues. I shouldn't have to restore my phone just to get it to sync properly. Known issue, no solution.

3. Wifi issues on iPad and iMac since Yosemite and iOS 8.1

Once upon a time all is stuff "just worked" and as a convert from Windows 3 years ago, I proudly recommended the switch to anyone. Not so much anymore.

But by all means. Please yell FUD at me, without any regard for the numerous forums with many unresolved complaints of the few items I mentioned above that I now deal with.

I could give a rats ass about 3D interfacing - just get your core products to "just work" again, and I'll be a happy customer.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    flaneur wrote: »
    Haven't tried it yet, but the ColorCross viewer seems to have everything going for it, on paper, at least. Can't give you a link just now. Keep searching till you find a price near $30, I think. Yahoo group Photo 3-D is where this sort of thing is discussed.

I just found out they got the lenses wrong in this viewer. Better not buy for now.
  • Reply 37 of 38

This will be an edge in the whole smartphone industry...unless other competitors will not going to launch before Apple