Microsoft's Surface Pro stunt fails as CNN election commentators stick to iPads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    rrabu wrote: »
    Maybe these people have their personal stuff on their iPads that they already owned? Even if I were given a super new device temporarily, I'd probably also keep using the one that has all my stuff on it and that I'm familiar with; at least for my personal stuff. 

Exactly.

I'm guessing these CNN staffers have been using their iPads for years... have everything set up already ... and it works for them.

But one day they come to work and are expected to drop their iPad and use something else? Pssshhh.

Satya Nadella could have been on that CNN set... and people would still want to use their iPad because it's theirs.

If Microsoft was smart... they would have prevented iPads from becoming so entrenched in the industry. But they couldn't... because they didn't have an answer to the iPad until a couple years later. And by then... it was kinda too late.

I think the Surface Pro 3 is an amazing machine... IF YOU NEED IT. Most people don't anymore.

Prior to the iPad... people had to use rather complicated machines (Windows laptops) to handle even the simplest tasks (email, web browsing, notes, etc). And IT departments had to be on high alert to keep those machines running.

Now the iPad can do most of those daily tasks... without the complications and overhead of running Windows. And the iPad is lightweight, is easy to carry, has great battery life, and is simple to use. It's no wonder why the iPad has such a high acceptance.

Microsoft finally has a thin lightweight tablet... but it still runs full Windows (which most people don't need anymore)

My question is: if you've been happy using an iPad for a couple years... why would you go back to Windows?

That's a question Microsoft is having trouble answering.
  • Reply 62 of 95
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Will be interesting to see when Apple Watches start appearing on TV personalities' wrist.

• Reply 63 of 95

You must be kidding - right apple ][?

Quote:

That is true, but it's realistic, because tons of people do actually use Apple devices. Are those paid placements by Apple? I'm asking, because I'm not sure. I don't know how much paid product placement Apple does.

It is totally unrealistic to have a whole town where the population only uses Microsoft phones and tablets.

You are right - it would be totally unrealistic to have an entire town using only Windows phones and tablets.  But no more so than the extent to which television and movies portray the populace as devote Mac only users exclusively.  It does drive me as crazy as it seems to for you with "The Dome." 

To watch NBC and most Universal productions as well as a preponderance of other media companies, you would think that Apple was the only computer (I'm currently speaking strictly desktop and laptop devices) in the market.  I know that is their (Apples) goal, but as yet they have not achieved it. 

Yet, if you believed what was presented, you would think that Microsoft, Dell,  Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, et al (users of the various iterations of the Microsoft Windows OS for their hardware) were no longer making products.  To me that is unrealistic.  Especially when the current market share for operating systems has 90% of the PC and laptop market using a Microsoft  Operating System, and Linux comprising less than 1.5% of the market leaving Apple with less than a 3.5% share.  But those are just facts, you may not recognize those. 

Now when it comes to tablets I would say that the Microsoft share is currently negligible.  Where will it be in the future - I haven't a clue.  But it's not pertinent to the conversation at hand.  The tablet market much like the PC and Laptop market is limited to a few operating systems.  There are some unique one off players, but for the most part it is dominated by Apple and Android with Microsoft coming in a distant last.  And much like the PC/Laptop market, Apple exclusively sells all devices loaded with it's operating system where as a large number of hardware manufacturers use the Android platform for their tablets (and phones.)  In todays market - or close to current; the Android operating system and associated hardware comprise over 61% of the market, iOS (Apple) 36%, and Windows dragging in at 2.1%.

But still, you find that Apple dominates the homes of television and movie characters.  It's funny how that works.  When the competing Operating System comprises over close to twice the market share, yet represents 0% of the households I most movies and TV shows (As I mentioned - very pervasive in NBC/Universal media efforts) 

What amuses me even more is when I see a show where they use an Apple device such as a MacBook Air to display video and that is the only usage of the product, why not use a less expensive but equally functional alternative.  Especially when the show is highlighting a government agency that should be purchasing the most cost effective product to save us the tax payers money.   But hey - that's common sense, and not what some people see as being realistic.

Now I really don't find it that unusual to have a forum such as "Apple Insider" find fault or amusement with the prominent use of a competitors product on a highly visible newscast.  I mean look at the name - "Apple Insider".  It says it all.  And the conversation is very sycophantic, but once again, look where it is being written.  If you don't want to come across in a hypocritical fashion, you might want to mention, what to most people was fairly obvious, but not go into how realistic the same actions on the part of Apple are in contrast.  Because they aren't realistic.  Deep down inside you know I'm right. 

One last point before I go back to the real world.  They did use the "Magic Wall" and have used it or similar Microsoft products for quite some time.  Microsoft is a leader in that technology, so it makes sense.  And since that was probably using other software that runs within the Microsoft eco system, it makes sense that the panelists would have a device capable of showing the same information.  It probably provided other analysis capabilities as well.  Now I work with desktops and laptops as well.  And I as well as most people wi;; tell you that they probably use a tablet at the same time.  Depends on what you need is at the moment and the situation.  If they had several analytical applications running on the surface then the tablet could be used for some other consumption type application like Twitter or to peruse candidates web sites.  The tablet, although very functional in many respects is merely a consumption device.  The Surface has the computing power to perform analytical analysis.  So having both handy is not a stretch of the imagination.  Of course that's merely my take, your viewpoint may differ.  Have a nice day... 

• Reply 64 of 95
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    eightzero wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see when Apple Watches start appearing on TV personalities' wrist.

The more I see pictures of the Apple Watch, the more I dislike it, I just couldn't imagine myself every wanting to wear such a thing, it's just so tacky looking, especially the gold version. Though I feel the same way about the rest of the smart watches as well.
  • Reply 65 of 95
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    I have no issue with people using Surface Pros because Microsoft paid for sponsorship. Perhaps the ruse could have been hidden better, but it's OK to love your iPad.

Well I think it's a bit of egg on Microsoft, Bose and Samsung's face when the people they are paying to use their products prefer the competitions.

The problem is throwing money at people to use a "different product" that isn't really different or better enough. In the case of iPhone and iPad, the staff were probably just handed the devices and told "use this on the air" not to use it exclusively or to have had any time to learn how to use it.

I mean, it will happen. When I worked at the 2010 Olympics, the official Sponsor was McDonalds, so I made a point of buying McDonalds, but on at least one of those days I autopiloted and bought a hot chocolate and a muffin from Tim Hortons. The same thing happened with some of the LEO's (Law Enforcement Officers) you'd see most of them with the McDonalds Coffee if they were mid-shift, but some would have StarBucks or Tim Hortons if they were just coming on shift.

You can't retrain someone who has been using other products for years to suddenly switch to something new in a week.
  • Reply 66 of 95

Duh! DUH!

Why not give them a ZUNE! and ten bucks, yeah, maybe they'll go for that and not work full time time make MSFT looks like GOONS in front of billions of people.

All journalists HATE Microsoft because it's the only computer they've ever used that always blue screens and destroys days worth of work at the worst possible moment and you have no recourse because it is what the chain bought and the IT manager got a kickback to buy.

Journalists, as dumb as they are, know this and could not wait for an opportunity to wreak mayhem on the hated scourge.

• Reply 67 of 95

Haha, look at the dumb Americans, they don't know how to use it let alone realize they look dumb for doing this

• Reply 68 of 95
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Get the point, but to be fair... I also see tons of Apple devices in movies and TV shows.

As far as we know, Apple does provide equipment and support (setup etc etc) but does NOT pay for placement. 

And you're right - there are lots of them.

• Reply 69 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That is true, but it's realistic, because tons of people do actually use Apple devices. Are those paid placements by Apple? I'm asking, because I'm not sure. I don't know how much paid product placement Apple does.

It is totally unrealistic to have a whole town where the population only uses Microsoft phones and tablets.

As far as we know, the correct number is ZERO. Zilch.

Apple does indeed provide hardware and support but does NOT pay for placement. As far as we know.

• Reply 70 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtisTheGeek View Post

Finally the iPad gets a Kickstand!

This is a new product line for Microsoft.

NEW NEW !! Just Released !!   iPad Kickstand !!!   NEW  NEW !!

Too funny.

• Reply 71 of 95
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Wow! What a shame.
  • Reply 72 of 95
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Uh...they are "lumping" product placement issues...

How is that a stretch?

Because the players weren't wearing Beats over a Bose headset?

I know you like to be contrarian, but you can't really need it explained,

that players wearing the league-sponsored headphones and commentators using the network-sponsored tech

are both forms of product placement...can you?

• Reply 73 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

I guess I'm feeing some schadenfreude over MS's continuing struggles and failures.

The dominant Microsoft of the 1990s, with its "embrace extend extinguish" technology politics, makes it justifiable.

• Reply 74 of 95
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VirusFM View Post

On product placement, Apple generally doesn't pay. See this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-product-placements-in-tv-and-movies-2012-8?op=1

Nice link...although it is 27 months old, I wonder if its any different today...

• Reply 75 of 95
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Ah ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha, omg, ha ha ha ahhhhhhh.

Can't wait until someone hacks into a coach's Surface and steals the opposing team's playbook.
  • Reply 76 of 95
    I think the Surface Pro 3 is an amazing machine...

No.

IF YOU NEED IT. Most people don't anymore.

No one needs a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

Microsoft finally has a thin lightweight tablet...

No.

but it still runs full Windows (which most people don't need anymore)

It still funs FOOL Windows.

My question is: if you've been happy using an iPad for a couple years... why would you go back to Windows?

That's a question Microsoft is having trouble answering.

Exactly.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    No.
    No one needs a Microsoft Surface Pro 3.
    No.
    It still funs FOOL Windows.
    Exactly.

OK... you win ;)
  • Reply 78 of 95
    OK... you win ;)

You were overly kind to Microsoft.
  • Reply 79 of 95
    You were overly kind to Microsoft.

Forgive me...
  • Reply 80 of 95
    I prefer the iPhone 6 plus, is even lighter, has higher pixel density, better camera and as fast as the iPad, plus longer battery life!!

For real work, surface is actually something you could use, unlike the iPad which is indeed a big toy!