Apple to reportedly open new corporate office and R&D center in Cambridge, UK

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    desdizzy wrote: »
    Appreciate your post. I think it is useful for us "old timers" to give some of the youngsters "context". However, whilst I agree with your corporate historical replay, this was not a "UK" thing. This was a global commercial thing that enabled MSF to take over the commercial desk top and merge it into domestic dominance also. Firstly, the corporate gatekeepers in IT departments decided that they would go along with the IBM PC standard. This entrenched MSF and made it almost impossible for non-MSF systems to flourish outside of education and creatives, thus Apple was banished to these ghetto's. Having worked in corporate environments, Insurance, banking etc for over 30 years and also had an insight in manufacturing, this was nothing to do with the UK and everything to do with the corporate world and the emerging MSF standard. 

Having said all that. The UK media anti-Apple mime is a relatively recent thing. If you move within creative/Educational circles in the UK, which I do, you will see 95% Apple. If you move within educational circles you will see 50/60% penetration (skewed towards higher education), because many in education stuck with Apple and now many of the newer institutions with money of their own (Harris Academies for instance) are deeply into Apple and the creative opportunities.

Yes I agree it was global back then, I didn't mean to infer the IT thing was UK only, but it was difficult to know what went on outside the tiny place I called home back then ... That was a UK joke ;).

That said, on numerous trips to the US back then I always came back feeling like I'd seen far more acceptance of Apple ... but then I was in Mac World shows in Boston and San Francisco or Cupertino so that would explain that perspective! :D

I know nothing of the last 20 odd years in the UK, I have not kept up with anything so I'll have to be guided by you on that. I just know every hurricane for the last few years headed for Florida from the Atlantic is rotating away earlier and circling back over to you guys. :p
  • Reply 82 of 90
    I have to think that was humor ... I mean ... to add without exception' had to be ... right?

You can't get me a fuse cap for a QUAD 405 power amp can you? :D I have an unused one, circa early 70's. I brought it with me when I moved to the States and lost it the screw on fuse cap (and fuse) in the trip 22 years ago.

I'm not quite understanding your first line there ... Im probably being a bit dense. :\

As for a fuse cap, I don't have one (and I'm using mine!) but QUAD themselves maybe able to help you. Failing that there are a load of old QUAD enthusiast and upgrade/repair sites who may be able to help you out. Send me a message on here if I can do something you can't.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I'm not quite understanding your first line there ... Im probably being a bit dense. :\

As for a fuse cap, I don't have one (and I'm using mine!) but QUAD themselves maybe able to help you. Failing that there are a load of old QUAD enthusiast and upgrade/repair sites who may be able to help you out. Send me a message on here if I can do something you can't.

I meant the comment about us Brits all being anti Apple trolls 'without exception' ... had to be a joke ... surely?

Thanks on the Quad.

I lived in Essex as a kid, Shenfield to be exact and attended the Royal Liberty Grammar School in Gidea Park. I gather it isn't the same place anymore. I have fond memories of card games on the train everyday coming home. No chance in the mornings though, standing only with bowler hatted suits with their brollies taking all the seats, doing their Times crosswords. Very Pythonesque now I think about it! LOL
  • Reply 84 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

He's a troll. No one who identifies themselves as from the UK in these forums likes Apple, without exception.

What a crock of shit.

• Reply 85 of 90
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Heh, I walked past this building earlier today; nice spot, next to the botanical garden, and only a hop, skip and jump down the road from where I went to sixth form college.  Seems like a sensible spot for an R&D centre, given all of the scene parks around, and ARM, Imagination and probably others of interest in close proximity.  I think IBM have a big-ish research centre in one of the parks too.

• Reply 86 of 90
    crowley wrote: »
    Heh, I walked past this building earlier today; nice spot, next to the botanical garden, and only a hop, skip and jump down the road from where I went to sixth form college.  Seems like a sensible spot for an R&D centre, given all of the scene parks around, and ARM, Imagination and probably others of interest in close proximity.  I think IBM have a big-ish research centre in one of the parks too.

Good idea for them to have nice scenery to look at, whilst they twiddle their thumbs for the next eight years.
  • Reply 87 of 90

Huh?

• Reply 88 of 90

Oh, hang on a second...

Quote:

He's a troll. 

Yep

Quote:

No one who identifies themselves as from the UK in these forums likes Apple, without exception.

Nope

• Reply 89 of 90
    Quote:

He's a troll. No one who identifies themselves as from the UK in these forums likes Apple, without exception.

One of the dafter things I've seen you write.

A fervent Apple evangelist for 23 years living in the UK.