Apple's iOS 8 now on 56% of devices as adoption rate slowly picks up

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    There are several reasons that where stopping it, only a couple exsist now which is 1.dont have the storage
    2.device too old
    3.businesses,

1, I understand it but really people can't have less then 1/10th the device available and plug into there computer once a month.
    2, I sorta understand this, ipads are good, but iphone 4 was a major device in iphones, I know several people who have been hit by this issue. Then the iPod touch not that big a deal, but ipod 4 was cut sadly.
  • Reply 42 of 46

Another factor is the constrained supply of iPhone 6s.

But no matter how you cut it, the longer a platform stays the lower new version adoption rates will become.

There are a ton of iOS devices that cannot run iOS 8 because they are not built to handle it. These devices will never go away. When we get to the next-gen, the number of iOS devices that cannot run iOS 9 will be increase as one more generation is dropped.

The number of generations that are officially supported will always be the same (more or less) but the number of generations that are not supported will go on increasing.

The adoption rate will continue to increase as long as the number of the latest 3 generations devices that are sold exceeds all the other generations combined. So far, Apple seems to be doing just fine.

I am curious about the software on the Watch though. Will it be considered iOS and will it be in sync with the iPhones and iPads? Is development on WatchKit the same as development for iOS?

• Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

It irritates me no end to see you people complain about a great new OS just because your dinko old devices don't have enough room for it. As if you expect Apple to pander to you slackers. NFWP. Get over it and upgrade or leave.

Not everyone has 5GB of free storage on their 16GB phones and 16GB tablets to be able to perform the update with an over-the-air download. And not everyone uses iTunes on their computer to manage apps/movies/music/etc to perform the update while only needing less than a gig of free space to perform the update. Then there is this article from a few years ago saying that over 50% of iPhone owners never connected their phone to iTunes to back up that notion.

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/06/15/half-iphone-users-never-sync-update-iphones/

• Reply 44 of 46
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Apple made a mistake by sticking with 16gb on the new generation.

Obviously you’re wrong; they’re selling more than ever.

• Reply 45 of 46
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member

Quote:

Saarek: Apple made a mistake by sticking with 16gb on the new generation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Those two facts aren't necessarily connected. Just because the devices are selling well doesn't mean they're going to turn out to have adequate memory for iOS 9, 10, etc., even if they're fine for iOS 8. 

• Reply 46 of 46
    arlor wrote: »
    Quote:
    Saarek: Apple made a mistake by sticking with 16gb on the new generation.

Those two facts aren't necessarily connected. Just because the devices are selling well doesn't mean they're going to turn out to have adequate memory for iOS 9, 10, etc., even if they're fine for iOS 8. 

For first time iPhone buyers, not sure of how they may use the iPhone, the 16 GB version may serve them very well. One you've used an iPhone for a couple years and you are at the end of your contract, a user has a far better idea of what their memory needs may be the second time around.

I'm sure for many users, 16 GB is plenty, we have to not gage their needs by our own.

One extremely important value to keeping the 16 GB version in the lineup is that it gives a comparison to someone who wants more memory a base-line to compare the 64GB version to... very smart marketing!