Retailers report strong customer interest in Apple Pay after first weeks of service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    iedsri wrote: »
    So I'm at Walgreens using Apple Pay for the first time. The Apple Pay part works great, just as advertised %u2013

%u2013 but I still have to punch in "Yes" or "No" to all kinds of come-ons from Walgreens on their tap-to-pay touch screen ("Do you want to contribute money to this charity?" "How about that charity?" 'Are you a member of our Walgreens Rewards Program? If so, punch in your telephone number" etc. etc. etc.)

And because their touch screen sucks, every one of those buttons has to be pressed and wiggled three or four times before they register a response.

Ends up taking just about as much time as it always has.

Apple Pay was supposed to make the whole process take two seconds. Instead the merchants may just see it as an excuse to clog up the check-out process with even more time-wasting solicitations.

It's still faster than using a card. You get those same prompts in addition to;

"Credit or Debit"

And both are slower than cash.

Those annoying prompts should really show up on iPhone since retailer's touchscreens are such crap and if the wrong option registers you have to start all over.

The rewards program should be registered to the phone skipping an additional step.
    techguy911 wrote: »
    I used ?Pay 3 times at McDonalds and had trouble 2 out of those 3.  Each time the manager had to come out and help.  Apparently there is some kind of button they need to press on the register to finish the transaction and the employees were not trained, but the manager knew. 

Kind of annoying to stand there holding out your phone trying to get it to work while people behind you are staring while they're looking for the manager.  I felt like one of those old ladies holding up the line trying to use a check.  <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);line-height:1.4em;">Hopefully everyone will be familiar with the process soon.</span>

It really gives ?Pay a bad name:

And that was one of the first ?Pay videos on YouTube.
    Apple needs to get on these retailers. There shouldn't be an extra button or anything to finish a transaction. Tech-illiterate retailers are making ?Pay harder than it should be.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    cali wrote: »
    It's still faster than using a card. You get those same prompts in addition to;

"Credit or Debit"

And both are slower than cash.

Those annoying prompts should really show up on iPhone since retailer's touchscreens are such crap and if the wrong option registers you have to start all over.

The rewards program should be registered to the phone skipping an additional step.
    It really gives ?Pay a bad name:

And that was one of the first ?Pay videos on YouTube.
    Apple needs to get on these retailers. There shouldn't be an extra button or anything to finish a transaction. Tech-illiterate retailers are making ?Pay harder than it should be.

Thats weird, all i see them do is all the regular process. It works fine for me even where applepay is not officially supported.
  • Reply 23 of 28

I remember when an Apple Pay thread would be inundated with naysayers touting the convenience of promiscuously running their credit cards through every mag stripe reader in sight, and ignoring the risks therein. What happened to you guys?

• Reply 24 of 28
    I think the usage number would go through the roof if more grocery stores like QFC, Safeway, Fred Meyers etc accepts Apple Pay. Especially using them at self-checkout would make the whole transaction much faster and smoother.
    I don't know about others, but McDonald doesn't work well for me because I would have to go in to use ApplePay; almost impossible for me to use while using drive-thru. At least ones that I've visited.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    It's refreshing to see Apple finally as this to their phones. I wish Google went out of their way to promote their Wallet service. In reality, they would even higher marketshare (more than 85%) if they promoted their own products. Kinda odd for an AD based company.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post
    I'm surprised by this number. I would have expected it to be higher, but to think that about 50% of all NFC-based payments are by a device that's been on the market for 2 months only had mobile payments for 3 weeks compared to the years NFC-based devices have been on the market in the US.

It's not just "devices" that use NFC. I've been paying by NFC at McDonald's for years just using my NFC-equipped VISA card.

• Reply 27 of 28
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    tokyojimu wrote: »
    It's not just "devices" that use NFC. I've been paying by NFC at McDonald's for years just using my NFC-equipped VISA card.

So that means that the divece percentage is higher? That is even better