Review: Microsoft's health tracking, iOS-compatible Band

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Morky View Post

If MS could put GPS in this, Apple could have done it in their watch. I don't want to carry a phone on a run, and I understand it kills battery, but I can recharge as needed. Sad that this is better device for running than Apple's

Not sad. Buy one and be happy!

• Reply 22 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    morky wrote: »
    If MS could put GPS in this, Apple could have done it in their watch. I don't want to carry a phone on a run, and I understand it kills battery, but I can recharge as needed. Sad that this is better device for running than Apple's

I dont see how the gps make it better than apple watch!
  • Reply 23 of 90
    Since I own MS Band since day 1, I feel that I can comment on some of the common complaints that other pro (and not so much) reviewers have stated in their evaluations. First of all, I agree that this is a generation 1 device and I expected better polish from MS then this. In many ways the design and materials feel like they were selected 2 years ago and MS never bothered to upgrade them prior to launch. The display is not Amoled and it considerably cuts the battery life if watch mode is turned on all the time. It's not curved either and scratches very easily. MS 'complimentary' screen protector is anything but optional. The band is very stiff, but, fortunately, beyond first couple of days it won't bother you. It is designed to be worn snugly on the wrist and follows contours well enough to simply blend in. It is also pretty light - lighter than most conventional watches and definitely lighter than any smartwatch on the market. The display is plenty bright, even with auto brightness selected and the font that MS uses looks sharp to read health statistics as well as incoming notifications. Speaking of notifications, I found them very useful. Band is constantly connected via Bluetooth to your iPhone and receives messages, incoming phone calls, calendar events and Emails the moment they arrive. You get a buzz on your wrist that is very discreet but effective. Display turns on automatically for you to quickly glance at the message and you can scroll it if first 4 lines are not enough. Most of the messages and Emails I get do not require immediate response, so this works better than pulling out iPhone, especially if you are in the middle of something, be it office meeting, dinner at the restaurant or simply watching movie on the couch at night. I found that even if my phone is on charger in the kitchen and I am sitting on the couch in the living room, the notifications arrive without fail.
    The fitness sensors are potentially very powerful but still a work in progress. The HRM works great and is better than any other wrist-based HRMs on the market, but may lag the chest-worn devices during vigorous activities. Plus (and it's a big one) it does monitor your pulse 24x7, unlike any other non-medical HRMs. The sleep mode is fantastic and is way above & beyond what other devices can do. The GPS turns quick and is both consistent and presize. MS even uses it to calibrate your personal step stride, so it can provide more personalized results on the distance covered even with GPS off. The step tracker is well guarded against false readings. But MS promised more and the rest of the sensors are either not integrated or not utilized yet. The UV sensor is a novelty at this time. It requires manual triggering and pretty much tells you what you already know. The galvanic skin temperature sensor that is supposed to work together with HRM to sensor stress, is currently turned off. The sleep mode needs to be triggered manually and I already forgot to do it few times.
    Overall, especially for only $200 I don't see any competition for this band. The FitBit Surge promises a lot of the same functionality plus 5 day battery life, but is not released for another few months, costs more and I would sincerely doubt their projected battery for continuous HRM, frequent GPS use and Bluetooth notifications - three biggest battery killers.
    Apple watch may have most of the same sensors and be a true smartwatch, but it would cost twice as much (or more) and only work with iOS. Since I have both iOS and android devices and frequently have to evaluate MS phones at my work too, this would be very limiting.
    MS still has a lot of work to do, both on the app as well as Band firmware to fulfill all the promises they gave in promotional materials. For weight watchers, for whom this device may be ideal, they need to cooperate with other vendor who has built- in weight monitoring as well as food tracker. The built-in apps within watch require serious rethinking. What good is the stock ticker if it is updated only once a day? Same goes for weather forecast and temperature indicator. The alarm buzz is very weak and consistently fails to wake me up. It's OK to alert you to the event, but that's what the calendar notification is for. To function as a morning alarm clock it needs to have better buzz pattern and ability to set up weekly alarms.
    I hope they would not wait for inevitable Band 2.0 for these improvements to materialize. But lack of any marketing and post production communication to users is a bit concerning, as it might indicate they use Band 1.0 as a test device and it's users as guinea pigs. Let's hope it's not true.
  • Reply 24 of 90
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I had been wondering this, too.

I can't imagine how it won't keep lighting up, as we constantly move our arms, but maybe Apple have found an ingenious solution, and it is my imagination that is lacking.

Personally, I would prefer my watch always display the time. That's one of the problems with a digital watch. I don't want to have to constantly wave my arm in a certain way, or press a button with a watch. But I guess it's a trade-off.

Frankly, I have little interest in the ?Watch unless it's completely water-proof so I can wear it swimming, surfing, and boating. And secondarily, I would want it to have both GPS and a cellular antenna to receive direct OTA notifications out in the water. Chances of my iPhone being near enough to my watch while I'm exercising to make the notifications feature practical is unlikely. And in the office, it really is kind of pointless -- everyone already lay their phones on the table to begin with. It's not like the watch is improving anything. Now if I could leave my phone in my office (out of range of the current watch), that would be another matter. For me, the watch would be most valuable if it replaced the phone for a few more things, like photos, if it's not going to offer more independence from the phone. I suspect we'll see a camera show up in the 2nd generation, well OK, maybe third ... they need to make it thinner first.

• Reply 25 of 90
    I'm surprised by the high rating. I would give this over a 2.5.

Off Topic: Looking at how the black background of the display doesn't meld into the black of border of the display is the main reason I think Apple will be using an AMOLED display on ?Watch.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    netscorer wrote: »

... I hope they would not wait for inevitable Band 2.0 for these improvements to materialize. But lack of any marketing and post production communication to users is a bit concerning, as it might indicate they use Band 1.0 as a test device and it's users as guinea pigs. Let's hope it's not true.

partial quote from above ...

Come on, Microsoft just don't do things like that. ;)
  • Reply 27 of 90
    mac_128 wrote: »
    So the Apple Watch illuminates when you raise it to your face? I was looking all over for an article that explained how that worked. So how close to your face does it have to be, and what turns it on, the mere act of raising your wrist? In which case, what prevents it from coming on accidentally when gesturing? So I assume it's dark all other times, and presumably one can press a button as well to illuminate the face?

I don't think it's like the iPhone where the raising motion plus the covering of the ambient light sensor causes the display to turn off or Siri to engage, depending on your current state of us. I think this will be purely on the raising motion, but not just any raising motion, just like with the iPhone. They will surely use a motion range that falls in place with an arm being raised to look at a watch, which may include the turning of the watch toward the user. Since it will know which wrist it's being worn and when it's been worn this shouldn't be an issue, unless you wear it on the inside of the wrist*, which may cause issues as the raise and turn is different.

* I don't think many people wear watches in that way but I think enough do that it will be an issue Apple will have to solve in SW after the fact as I don't think that's something they would consider out of the gate. To me, that seems like one of those things they wouldn't address until people start yelling.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    morky wrote: »

So, let me be clear on this, you don't think it is a good idea to have a phone with you when out running?
  • Reply 29 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I think you meant smartwatch craze.

But I agree. I get the feeling that Apple feel they have to create a whole new, huge ecosystem in order to justify the high price of the Apple Watch. It just doesn't make sense. People are not going to be constantly fiddling around with their watches like they do their iPhones or iPads; it'll be far too much hassle.

In a sense, Microsoft are showing more of the Apple focus with this Band than Apple are with their Watch. They are concentrating on a few functions which they feel are most useful to a wearable.

What will the landscape for wearables be like in five years? It could be like the iPhone, with most people using a wearable, or it could be like Google Glass.

I bet the latter.

So you're saying that Apple is conjuring up an overinflated platform in order to rip off their customers through some kind of bloviated trickery.

Yeah that sounds like the Apple we all know.

If you were a genuine idiot instead of a paid troll, I would say you were just projecting your own reptilian cunning. But your last several posts have given you away. Instead of the basement wanker we all came to despise, you've turned into a coherent adult poster, just so you can slip in the occasional FUD dump like you just did, so you can earn your pay from whatever slime agency you work for. Google Glass indeed.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Off Topic: Looking at how the black background of the display doesn't meld into the black of border of the display is the main reason I think Apple will be using an AMOLED display on ?Watch.

By the way ... now that Apple is using symbols to name their products instead of actual words, anybody know how to easily access the ? symbol under iOS?

• Reply 31 of 90
    mac_128 wrote: »

By the way ... now that Apple is using symbols to name their products instead of actual words, anybody know how to easily access the ? symbol under iOS?

Yes, copy the symbol and create a keyboard shortcut. I use the letters 'aaaa' for '?'. I also created 'aaw' for '?Watch', and 'aap' for '?Pay' because the shortcut will always add a space at the end of the shortcut.

Unfortunately Apple hasn't added that symbol to its typical keyboard, but I wish they would, as well as include an empty Apple symbol that doesn't stand out so dramatically. I don't care if that would show up on every other device as an empty rectangle.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    the biggest (and most obvious) flaw IMO is the fact that you have to torque your wrist in an unnatural position to read anything.

makes sense that apple would stick to the basic idea of a traditional watch.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    flaneur wrote: »
    So you're saying that Apple is conjuring up an overinflated platform in order to rip off their customers through some kind of bloviated trickery.

If you were a genuine idiot instead of a paid troll, I would say you were just projecting your own reptilian cunning. But your last several posts have given you away. Instead of the basement wanker we all came to despise, you've turned into a coherent adult poster, just so you can slip in the occasional FUD dump like you just did, so you can earn your pay from whatever slime agency you work for. Google Glass indeed.

FUD dump, classic. :lol:
  • Reply 34 of 90
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think you meant smartwatch craze.

But I agree. I get the feeling that Apple feel they have to create a whole new, huge ecosystem in order to justify the high price of the Apple Watch. It just doesn't make sense. People are not going to be constantly fiddling around with their watches like they do their iPhones or iPads; it'll be far too much hassle.

In a sense, Microsoft are showing more of the Apple focus with this Band than Apple are with their Watch. They are concentrating on a few functions which they feel are most useful to a wearable.

What will the landscape for wearables be like in five years? It could be like the iPhone, with most people using a wearable, or it could be like Google Glass.

I bet the latter.

You presume a great deal when you attribute your own vituperative prejudices to "everyone" reading here...

"Paid troll"?  Try to stay attached to reality at least a bit, and maybe you'll eventually realize that it's actually possible

to admire and respect Apple, and own many of their products, without assuming everything they do is flawless

and appropriately inspired.  

The company has had its occasional "oops", and common sense should tell you it will happen again now and then.

If it never did, it would suggest that perhaps they aren't really trying anymore...

• Reply 35 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

You presume a great deal when you attribute your own vituperative prejudices to "everyone" reading here...

"Paid troll"?  Try to stay attached to reality at least a bit, and maybe you'll eventually realize that it's actually possible

to admire and respect Apple, and own many of their products, without assuming everything they do is flawless

and appropriately inspired.  

The company has had its occasional "oops", and common sense should tell you it will happen again now and then.

If it never did, it would suggest that perhaps they aren't really trying anymore...

He is a troll - don't bother replying. Next time just report that message as offensive and move on.

• Reply 36 of 90
    Is it watertight or not? I am not working out with any watch that isn't. End of story. Whether it includes GPS or not is entirely secondary to whether it will be working at all at the end of my workout.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by longpath View Post

Is it watertight or not? I am not working out with any watch that isn't. End of story. Whether it includes GPS or not is entirely secondary to whether it will be working at all at the end of my workout.

It is IP67 certified for submersion of up a 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. That said you can't go swimming in it and MS does not recommend to take a shower with the band on.  

• Reply 38 of 90

Thank you for this great presentation of these wonderful products

• Reply 39 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Yes, copy the symbol and create a keyboard shortcut. I use the letters 'aaaa' for '?' and 'aaw'. I also created '?Watch', and 'aap' for '?Pay' because the shortcut will always add a space at the end of the shortcut.

Unfortunately Apple hasn't added that symbol to its typical keyboard, but I wish they would, as well as include an empty Apple symbol that doesn't stand out so dramatically. I don't care if that would show up on every other device as an empty rectangle.

Thanks
  • Reply 40 of 90
    mac_dog wrote: »
    the biggest (and most obvious) flaw IMO is the fact that you have to torque your wrist in an unnatural position to read anything.

makes sense that apple would stick to the basic idea of a traditional watch.

Apart from that even twisting your wrist to see the time on your watch is an unnatural and awkward movement.