RBC raises Apple price target to $120, predicts Apple Watch will earn $10B in first-year revenue

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    sog35 wrote: »

I’ll take that bet. 

10 million to 15 million would be ok, a bit disappointing. 15 million to 20 million would be successful. North of 20 million would be a triumph.

WTF man.  How the HELL is 10-15 million a disappoinment!!!!  The iPhone only sold 2 million its first year.  The iPod less than a million.  Even the iPad only sold 7 million.

So if the AppleWatch sells DOUBLE of what the iPad did in its first year its a DISAPPOINTMENT!!!! WTF man. WTF are you smoking.

The iPhone sold over 10 million in its first year. The iPad sold 15 million in its first year.

The Apple Watch is even cheaper, so if it is to be as successful as the iPad, it needs to sell more than 15 million. Over 20 million would give it a success akin to the iPad.

Remember that the cheapest iPad for its first year was $499. The cheapest Apple Watch for its first year will be $350, about a third cheaper.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Well you mean the following are not useful: Apple Pay, seeing the time, maps heart rate, 
    respond to messages, calls, stop watch and notifications. The whole point Apple made during the presentation was that most existing  apps won't port There will be a whole new class of apps. 

Your sarcasm is inappropriate, but let me clarify a few points:

The useful things in your list here are heart rate, and not having to take your phone out of your pocket. All of the other things you list can be accomplished by your phone, which you will still have to carry around, so what the watch is enabling you to do is not take your phone out. And I suspect that responding to messages and calls would be better with the phone in many cases, if not most.

Even if everything in your list was something that you couldn't already do with your phone, it would still be a relatively short list, compared to what an iPad can do as a stand-alone device, given the number of apps available (and even given the much smaller number of apps available when it was launched). What I said was that "I haven't heard of a lot of things that the Apple Watch does well," not that I haven't heard of any.

I was responding to the numbers in the article that claim that the Watch will sell roughly as many units as the iPad did in its first year, at a high ASP, so I wanted to point out some of the advantages that the iPad had over the Watch. This includes the fact that it can't run existing iOS apps, nor can they easily be adapted for it, both of which were advantages for the iPad. Sure, new apps will be developed, but developers will need to figure out what jobs can be best done by a device with a tiny screen and battery, fairly limited input options and a (presumably) slower processor.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    danielsw wrote: »
    I think too many people get too confused over "labels" and "product categories" and then get concerned when various categories apparently start dropping down in sales statistics.

The fact is, Apple is hard at work creating smaller and smaller computers packaged in different form factors—because they can—and so that they can follow shifting markets more flexibly.

The ?Watch will be yet another hit as it proves to be so many things we hadn't realized we needed. It's OK with me that it relies on an iPhone, as I always have mine with me. Perhaps it'll be able to sever such dependency when various battery and GPS technologies develop.

I had an iPad 2 which I liked, but I stopped using it at some point, so I sold it. Then I had an iPad Mini which I liked, but I stopped using it, especially when I got my iPhone 6+. The phone was big enough, was fast, and had 128GB of storage. The iPad Mini was too big, relatively slow, and had only 16GB of storage.

Now the iPad Pro is of some interest, especially if it somehow answers my wild idea of it being able to optionally run desktop apps like the new Adobe apps with touch interfaces which run on the Surface. This should really put a nail in the Surface's coffin.

All the while, the iMac will probably remain quite relevant for years to come. But I'm looking forward to 5K displays for the Pro, and The Foundry Modo supporting its GPUs.

So again, I'm really glad Apple has held its line on producing "the best" products all these years. It's built up its ecosystem continuously since Steve unveiled OS X and said that the company was betting its future on it. It's reinvested a good chunk of its profits in R & D to constantly refine and modify just what "the best" means. And now seems fully capable of skating to where the puck will be, so to speak.
    It's the app silly:

Some apps work great on each form size. Notability works best on iPads. Texting on iPhones, asphalt8 on iPads. Just because so and so says I've stopped using /enter form size/ means it's dead is only saying the apps I use are on another device and that is all. I use the device that fits the particular app best for a given situation. ICloud is what ties it all together. I use numbers on my iPhone when I record my purchases when im at the store. I use same numbers doc on my Mac with big screen when I'm reviewing my budget. I use Mac for trading stocks, I use the tc2000 on iPhone when I'm out and about and need to check share prices, if I need to do a trade I go to a wireless cafe and use Ipad browser to place a trade. I need all my devices - it's all about context not this silly either/or superficial schoolboy nonsense.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Looks like AAPL could hit $120 sometime this week at this rate.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The iPhone sold over 10 million in its first year. The iPad sold 15 million in its first year.

The Apple Watch is even cheaper, so if it is to be as successful as the iPad, it needs to sell more than 15 million. Over 20 million would give it a success akin to the iPad.

Remember that the cheapest iPad for its first year was $499. The cheapest Apple Watch for its first year will be $350, about a third cheaper.

BS.

iPhone sold less than 4 million its first 12 months:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/263401/global-apple-iphone-sales-since-3rd-quarter-2007/

iPad sold 15 million first year. But don't forget the ipad was very simular to the iPhone. The Watch is a totally new animal.

10 million watches sales would be a HUGE success. And don't spew about unit prices. The Edition Watch will start at $5000-$10,000.

All you are trying to do is to set the bar super high so you can brag here and say the watch was a failure.

10-15 million - Awesome success.

15-20 million - greatest launch EVER.  Amazing.

20+ million - brain explode

Firstly you said the iPhone sold 2 million in its first year; now, you said it sold less than 4 million.

Firstly, you said the iPad sold 7 million in its first year; then, you said it sold 15 million.

Firstly, you said that Apple Watch would sell 50 million in its first year; then you said that 10 million would be an awesome success.

Your speculation on the price of some of the models of the Apple Watch is just that; speculation. The only price confirmed by Apple is $350. 

Facts, for you, are a moveable feast.