Online retailers who support Apple Pay in iOS apps will boost sales this holiday, study says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Have you tried turning on Safari's Autofill preferences? I just use it for logons and passwords but you can have it fill from Contacts and credit cards you've saved. I haven't looked to see how ApplePay works online to see how much comes from your identified credit card.

safari's autofill is weak if you have more than one address or email -- theres no way to specify which you'd like autofill to use. it always uses the wrong one for me. filed a bug w/ apple and they confirmed it but that was it.

• Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It occurs to me that Apple somehow needs to find a laptop/desktop solution as well, for more widespread online adoption of ApplePay. Not exactly sure of the numbers, but I have to believe that non-mobile purchases still account for a vast majority of online shopping.

Some type of fingerprint reader hardware, perhaps? $29.99? Hello, Apple?

an external reader does not seem likely. i think there would be security implications that would be more trouble than worth.

• Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Is there a solution for the ApplePay experience through Safari? Seems like stove-piping the shopping experience through specific store apps is pretty limiting. 

i think its the fact that the apps and touch id both reside within iOS and the app store that makes them so trusted.

• Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

At this time, software is very much heading towards browser solutions. While it won't be the only solution, it's gaining popularity for reasons of portability. I could imagine a single native app that provided a secure interface to numerous retailer web sites, along with Touch ID support, but it would essentially be a browser that only hit certain sites.

i think native native apps have never been as popular as they are today. even my 73-year-old father is downloading and installing client apps. while the web is here to stay, i don't see this as an one or the other decision. native apps as clients are now part of the http/web stack.

http://daringfireball.net/2014/11/native_apps_are_part_of_the_web

• Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

I thought Target refused Apple Pay for its retail stores

the stores are different than the app.

• Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

As to data being encrypted/stored securely and locally, I don't see what the big deal is in being able to do that on a laptop if you can do it on a phone and a tablet.

As to 'laptops dying', well, unless you're in 2025 or you're a snob, not quite yet.... 

1) it is a big deal. this works because of the secure enclave on the Ax chips, which apple builds. apple doesn't build chips for its desktops or notebooks. it won't store it on the user's HD because that isn't secure.

2) PC sales are stalling while mobile sales are increasing, theres nothing snobbish about that data point. skate to where the puck is going.

apple is already the biggest, most profitable company in the history of civilization. they don't need to work as hard as you're suggesting in order to gain some e-wallet marketshare. I've already ceded the point by simply picking up my iPad to make a Target purchase.

• Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

apple is already the biggest, most profitable company in the history of civilization

You mean aside from Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Limited?

• Reply 28 of 38

Quote:
    Safari can auto-fill the information in, including your CC info. No fingerprint authorization though.

Native apps are the future again, doing things in a browser is going to eventually become a thing of the past.

I missed that line in there, thx.

I agree that doing things in a browser will eventually become a thing of the past, but that's in the sense that the Earth will eventually be absorbed by the Sun's atmosphere.

At this time, software is very much heading towards browser solutions. While it won't be the only solution, it's gaining popularity for reasons of portability. I could imagine a single native app that provided a secure interface to numerous retailer web sites, along with Touch ID support, but it would essentially be a browser that only hit certain sites.

"At this time, software is very much heading towards browser solutions. While it won't be the only solution, it's gaining popularity for reasons of portability."

What you say may be true, today ... but not for long.

I think that one of the major reasons that browser solutions are popular is that they allow developers to support iOS, Android, WinWhatever, etc with a common code base.

But this comes at a price -- the apps tend to look, perform and feel as if they are written for the lowest common denominator -- rather than to exploit the device and the UX.

There are several popular cross-platform mobile development tools. AFAICT, they all break down into HTML and JavaScript -- even though they are disguised/packaged as native apps. Aside from the disadvantages of the afore mentioned LCD, this means that they are fairly easy to reverse-engineer and hack ... And this, IMO, will lead to their demise!
  • Reply 29 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

The problem is you're asking for an additional hardware piece. Apple would just intergrate it into their computers. The risk of Windows compatibility isn't even worth it either, so I don't think that's a good idea.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

1) it is a big deal. this works because of the secure enclave on the Ax chips, which apple builds. apple doesn't build chips for its desktops or notebooks. it won't store it on the user's HD because that isn't secure.

2) PC sales are stalling while mobile sales are increasing, theres nothing snobbish about that data point. skate to where the puck is going.

apple is already the biggest, most profitable company in the history of civilization. they don't need to work as hard as you're suggesting in order to gain some e-wallet marketshare. I've already ceded the point by simply picking up my iPad to make a Target purchase.

1) What's the big deal about throwing in an Apple-created encased 'enclave' in an Apple laptop/desktop? It probably takes up no more than speck of space. (Your previous point about security implications is probably not terribly valid, since there will be obviously some type of OTA communication between the iPhone and the AppleWatch as well).

2) PC sales may be stalling, but something like 300+ million are still sold every year. That's many more than tablets. Apple's share continues to grow in that market. And Apple is barely getting started in the enterprise.

Not sure whether/how the rest of what you're saying is relevant.

• Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Quote:

The problem is you're asking for an additional hardware piece. Apple would just intergrate it into their computers. The risk of Windows compatibility isn't even worth it either, so I don't think that's a good idea.

That would be a start.

And I said nothing about Windows.

• Reply 32 of 38
    Right now, ApplePay is being rolled out for individual [personal] use in the US -- with later rollout in other developed countries ...

Next, ApplePay will, likely, be rolled out for corporate cc use in the US -- with later rollout in other developed countries ...

At some time in the not too distant future, ApplePay will, likely, be rolled out in emerging economies, India, Russia, Africa, South America ...

Then, there's this possibility: use ApplePay to [I] buy/finance [/I] really big-ticket items ...

My daughter recently bought a $42,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee -- she should be able to do that with the convenience, security and privacy of ApplePay.

She is about to re-fi her house ... Why shouldn't she be able to do that with the convenience, security and privacy of ApplePay.

Paraphrasing the late Sen Fritz Hollings: "Da's a whole lotta [S]consumin'[/S] buyin' and payin' goin' on out dare ..." Maybe a lotta' dat should be ApplePayin' ...
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"At this time, software is very much heading towards browser solutions. While it won't be the only solution, it's gaining popularity for reasons of portability."

What you say may be true, today ... but not for long.

I think that one of the major reasons that browser solutions are popular is that they allow developers to support iOS, Android, WinWhatever, etc with a common code base.

But this comes at a price -- the apps tend to look, perform and feel as if they are written for the lowest common denominator -- rather than to exploit the device and the UX.

There are several popular cross-platform mobile development tools. AFAICT, they all break down into HTML and JavaScript -- even though they are disguised/packaged as native apps. Aside from the disadvantages of the afore mentioned LCD, this means that they are fairly easy to reverse-engineer and hack ... And this, IMO, will lead to their demise!

Well, solutions like QT produce native cross-platform applications that are actual processes on the target systems. With Android, for instance, you'll end up with native C++, which is lower level than the JAVA apk system developed through the ADK.

Regarding UX for HTML5, that's just a matter of LCD for developers, not platforms. If you develop a basic mobile app with native widgets on the native SDK, it's going to generally look like a native app. That's fine for the look of the widgets, but it could still be a very crappy UX.

With HTML5, solid production leads to solid UX results.

That said, nothing lasts forever, so of course you're right that it's not the final solution (no such thing). Single page apps are on the rise, and are going to stick around for a while.

• Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

That would be un-Apple like. They don't like additional cables and clutter.  It would probably be added to Continuity next year so when you make a purchase, it will trigger the Apple Pay screen on your iPhone.  That's because Laptop/Desktop doesn't have the hardware to contain the secure element.  I think the big issue is to make sure this can be done securely.

I think there is something like what you are describing already.  I found this company, Paydunk, on NYTechDay's site.  Looks like it works on both Android and iOS.

https://techdayhq.com/events/ny-techday/participants/48

I feel like apple is not going far enough since we are limited to in app purchases.  I want a solution that I can use on all retail websites without having to enter all of my information every time.

• Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

That would be a start.

I agree, having a fingerprint reader handy for desktop would be a great solution.  I like the idea of having it built into the mouse.

• Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

1) What's the big deal about throwing in an Apple-created encased 'enclave' in an Apple laptop/desktop? It probably takes up no more than speck of space. (Your previous point about security implications is probably not terribly valid, since there will be obviously some type of OTA communication between the iPhone and the AppleWatch as well).

2) PC sales may be stalling, but something like 300+ million are still sold every year. That's many more than tablets. Apple's share continues to grow in that market. And Apple is barely getting started in the enterprise.

Not sure whether/how the rest of what you're saying is relevant.

the relevance is, apple is printing money hand over fist. they don't need to develop messy or fragile implementations to grab a few more apple pay transactions. the whole point of putting apple pay into the phone is to.....sell more phones. you know, where they make their profit.

even tho you want it everywhere, cross-platform, that isn't apple's core business. 

(also, love your flippant disregard for security implications of an external apple pay device. let me guess -- you aren't in security, or a dev? as for the apple watch & iPhone -- apple controls the stack. its their OS, and the enclave is in the very CPU. they can control it all...cant do that w/ your USB apple pay on Windows XP or whatever.)

• Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

That would be a start.

if it's not for Windows, then what market are you talking about? mac users who don't have a new iPhone or are unlikely to ever purchase one? that market isn't one apple is going to target. too small and not worth the hassle/risks. 

• Reply 38 of 38
    undefined