Microsoft highlights lack of new Siri features to promote Cortana in new ad

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    jfanning wrote: »
    The world has moved on? So how is Apples server solutions going? Their infrastructure cloud offerings? As a long time owner of Apple products I am entitled to be here as much as the next person

Don't be so fucking literal.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Don't be so fucking literal.

Don't be so fucking rude
  • Reply 63 of 70
    Don't be so fucking rude

• Reply 64 of 70
    crowley wrote: »
    Apple's Mac vs PC was a whiner's loser strategy?

Noted.

Yes. That's probably one of the reasons Apple dropped the ads... But as you note... Microsoft copys ads and products...."Innovate, Innovate, innovate!!!"
  • Reply 65 of 70
    dick head comment]

Glad to see it didn't take you long to get back to your old self, you have no argument, so just start with the insults.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Glad to see it didn't take you long to get back to your old self, you have no argument, so just start with the insults.

I don't start with them, I only do them after someone repeatedly makes stupid comments.
  • Reply 67 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    dewme wrote: »
    This is pathetic even for Microsoft. They are poking Apple in the eye for not investing more into Siri in iOS 8. Really?

Hmmm. If we're going to start poking the competition based on what they aren't doing let's start with Microsoft's foray into the smartphone market and ask them why they aren't:

- making a profit in the smartphone business
    - gaining market share in the smartphone business
    - adding significant numbers of first rate apps to their App Store
    - coming up with any original product ideas that haven't already been done by Apple and/or Google
    - proving stable and secure employment opportunities for current employees

C'mon Microsoft, there was a time when you could rest on your own accomplishments and lead by example in the software industry. Now you've been reduced to nit picking the competition for not completely annihilating the competition, which you barely qualify as being. That's your best card to play? Whomever is disgracing Microsoft with these grade school level ads should be added to the next huge wave of Microsoft layoffs.

It is just another take on "I'm Mac. I'm PC" commercials. In a way, it is also paying homage to those classics, the way I see it. OSX machines were hardly any stronger in terms of market share worldwide when those ads were aired, so it doesn't feel unnatural that WP is trying same formula under comparable circumstances. Eventually, underdogs will always have a go at alpha dogs.

As for your questions:

Nokia was breaking slight profit recently, much as my memory serves. There were also slight market share gains, hardly something to write home about, but not to bad here and there; in EU big 5 (UK, Germany, Italy, France and Spain), WP is close to 10% of market share. iPhone is at 13%. That is not to bad for late comer. Problem here is Android, with remaining 70-something %. Of course, profit is completely different story, most WP devices being low to mid range. With final re-branding from Nokia to Microsoft, we'll see how next report looks like.

They are at over 300,000 apps currently. That should be around 1/4 of iOS apps count. They are still missing some majors, but WP marketplace is far from stagnant. Until recently, they were the fastest growing apps store. Of course it is easy to grow fast when you start from zero, but hey - one takes what ever accolades one can.

I'm finding WP OS quite original product. One might or might not like tiles, but it does differ from "classic" icons matrix iOS and Android are implementing, which doesn't differ much, concept wise, from PalmOS, old Windows Mobile, Apple Newton. Nokia hardware design was also quite recognisable. We'll see what MS does with all that, now that hardware is being designed under their roof.

Microsoft has grown their employees count - they have let go less people than they have got from Nokia. Sure, it would be nice if they could keep all 30,000... but unrealistic. When you merge companies which share a lot of same departments, you will combine and optimize them. This is basically Nokia's fault from not being able to capitalise on early advantage in mobile/smart phones they had, and eventually selling-out. Like everyone else, MS is in it for profit, not for charity. Charity is more for Gates and such.
  • Reply 68 of 70
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    The world has moved on? So how is Apples server solutions going? Their infrastructure cloud offerings? As a long time owner of Apple products I am entitled to be here as much as the next person

Stop quarrelling with children, jfanning. ;)
  • Reply 69 of 70
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It is just another take on "I'm Mac. I'm PC" commercials. In a way, it is also paying homage to those classics, the way I see it. OSX machines were hardly any stronger in terms of market share worldwide when those ads were aired, so it doesn't feel unnatural that WP is trying same formula under comparable circumstances. Eventually, underdogs will always have a go at alpha dogs.

As for your questions:

Nokia was breaking slight profit recently, much as my memory serves. There were also slight market share gains, hardly something to write home about, but not to bad here and there; in EU big 5 (UK, Germany, Italy, France and Spain), WP is close to 10% of market share. iPhone is at 13%. That is not to bad for late comer. Problem here is Android, with remaining 70-something %. Of course, profit is completely different story, most WP devices being low to mid range. With final re-branding from Nokia to Microsoft, we'll see how next report looks like.

They are at over 300,000 apps currently. That should be around 1/4 of iOS apps count. They are still missing some majors, but WP marketplace is far from stagnant. Until recently, they were the fastest growing apps store. Of course it is easy to grow fast when you start from zero, but hey - one takes what ever accolades one can.

I'm finding WP OS quite original product. One might or might not like tiles, but it does differ from "classic" icons matrix iOS and Android are implementing, which doesn't differ much, concept wise, from PalmOS, old Windows Mobile, Apple Newton. Nokia hardware design was also quite recognisable. We'll see what MS does with all that, now that hardware is being designed under their roof.

Microsoft has grown their employees count - they have let go less people than they have got from Nokia. Sure, it would be nice if they could keep all 30,000... but unrealistic. When you merge companies which share a lot of same departments, you will combine and optimize them. This is basically Nokia's fault from not being able to capitalise on early advantage in mobile/smart phones they had, and eventually selling-out. Like everyone else, MS is in it for profit, not for charity. Charity is more for Gates and such.

Also, doesn't MS make over a billion dollars a year from Samsung alone in patent licensing for Android?  That'll probably help push them into making profit in the mobile market.

• Reply 70 of 70
    I don't start with them, I only do them after someone repeatedly makes stupid comments.

Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha Ha ha , man you are funny