Apple updates GarageBand for iOS with exclusive RED Loop Pack, available for limited time

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post





    Which is why music is so dismal today.



    You are entitled to your opinion. I just don't see anything wrong with loops. I still write the music with real instruments. Loops help me sometimes when I have an idea in my head and I don't know exactly what I want. I haven't used loops on every song. The majority are written from scratch, but a few I have started with pre-made loops. I think there are a lot of good artists out there. Out of curiosity, which genre of music do you typically listen to? I'm sure you probably don't like the genre of music I'm in, electronic. 

  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     

    A nice gesture on Apple's part.

     

    Now for the unasked for suggestions on how to improve GarageBand... :D

     

    #1 request:  More instruments please! Not loops, but real plug-in style instruments, like horns... I've seen very few decent sounding horn sections, and individual horns (trumpet, French horn, etc.) usually do not sound very realistic from developers. With the limited number of sounds available, Latin music creation is a near impossibility. Most music appropriate to the sound selections is Rock and Electronic music. Diversity in music is a good thing.

     

    #2 request:  More guitars and more ways of interacting with them (including a whammy bar)! There are very few good quality guitar apps. One of the best I'd come across was the "Pearl Guitar" app from Amidio. The sounds were very solid, right down to the sound of the fingers sliding across the strings between chords, however the developer has failed to update the app to iOS 8 and it's incompatible with the Audiobus app.

     

    #3 request:  BUY AUDIOBUS! Even Apple's own GarageBand implementation to enable third-party instruments via the "Inter-App Audio" standard is clumsy and unreliable by Apple standards.

     

    All of these suggested updates I'd be willing to pay for as in-app purchases, even if it added $10 or more to the cost of the app.




    Yes I'm also waiting for a feature updates in GarageBand. It's been two years since we haven't seen anything major, while each previous years brought some major features.

     

    I think that the latest 2.0.x updates were about solidifying the foundation of the app for future updates. They've redone every single bitmap from scratch (including all the instruments thumbnails) to support 3x resolution on the 6+, and I've noticed non-negligible performance improvements on my iPad 3. I also think that they've rewrote a lot of the UI code to make it more iOS 8 native (the multi-track timeline seems to behave and look different in subtle ways). I guess that part of this might be preparing the app for an eventual iPad pro version... All of this probably took more time for the team that could've be used to add new features.

     

    So hopefully next year, with some solidified and modernized foundation, Apple will be able to take GarageBand to the next level.



     

  • Reply 23 of 32
    Some of us use loops to build background music for video and voiceover work. We're not in the business of original music composition.

    Get over yourselves.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member

    Thank God it's not U2 content.

  • Reply 25 of 32
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    Which is why music is so dismal today.


    You are entitled to your opinion. I just don't see anything wrong with loops. I still write the music with real instruments. Loops help me sometimes when I have an idea in my head and I don't know exactly what I want. I haven't used loops on every song. The majority are written from scratch, but a few I have started with pre-made loops. I think there are a lot of good artists out there. Out of curiosity, which genre of music do you typically listen to? I'm sure you probably don't like the genre of music I'm in, electronic. 

    I like electronic. Continent by cfc is wonderful, especially Invitation to Love.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    It took 23 posts before a mention of mention U2 ... Lol
  • Reply 27 of 32
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I don't really use garageband much anymore, and I'm also not a big fan of pre-made musical loops. It leads to lazy people making lazy, generic, boring sounding music.

    Don't blame GarageBand or loops for folks being lazy. Lazy people make lazy music even without loops etc

    And some folks would saying using ANY app, including this one you're liking so much right now, is lazy. A real musician would have real synths etc
  • Reply 28 of 32
    charlituna wrote: »
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Don't blame GarageBand or loops for folks being lazy. Lazy people make lazy music even without loops etc

    And some folks would saying using ANY app, including this one you're liking so much right now, is lazy. A real musician would have real synths etc

    I've used all kinds of software, hardware and musical instruments and nothing beats the convenience and flexibility of the iPad with all of the available options for idea generation and recording. Still, I'd be very excited to see any of my suggested improvements. ????
  • Reply 29 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    Is this stuff already available in Logic Pro X by any chance?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Is this stuff already available in Logic Pro X by any chance?

    Logic Pro is a quantum leap above GarageBand. Would be cool to get an iPad Pro 4K and Logic and Final Cut for iOS.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Does anybody know how to actually buy these loops? I was offered when I first opened the app, but I said no because I was in a hurry and thought I could buy them later. Is there a way to buy the loops from within the app?
  • Reply 32 of 32
    "I don't really use garageband much anymore, and I'm also not a big fan of pre-made musical loops. It leads to lazy people making lazy, generic, boring sounding music. It's like writing a book using a program or app that allows people to copy and paste using pre-written paragraphs and sentences, without having to come up with an original thought or idea by themselves. It takes no talent at all."

    I disagree with pretty much all of this. Sure loops can be used to make generic music, but they can also make it easy to blend genres and make some really original and weird stuff, which is cool because I like weird. This is coming from someone who makes music both by hand in Alchemy Mobile and with loops in GarageBand and MusicMakerJam. Remixing is just as much art as creating in my opinion, and it can have some great results.

    And speaking of remixing, doesn't anyone think copyright has gone too far? I mean seriously, a lifetime plus 70 years?! Who needs copyright 70 flipping years after the artist is dead >.>
Sign In or Register to comment.