Apple reaches record breaking $700 billion market cap as stock surge continues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Your posts seem a bit odd sometimes, apparently looking to create issues when none exist. Too quiet for you today perhaps?

The concept of reaping what you sow seems to be lost on you today?  ;)

• Reply 42 of 85
    I am concerned that Apple has reached peak sales per quarter of iPhone. Admittedly, I can't envision new features that would create the unprecedented demand of previous iPhone versions.

The growth of Apple may rely upon new products. I hope iPad Pro is real. I hope Apple considers the gaming console market / home automation market.

You're funny... So when is the best time to celebrate, when you're failing? Cause you have more room to succeed? I find that the people who complain the most have usually accomplished the least.
  • Reply 43 of 85
    rob53 wrote: »
    ^ post

Excellent post!

Indeed, what would Google do? Apart from their Motorola Mobile acquisition they don't have a lot of IP. And IP can get a company some steady stream of income. And that can be valued by a market. But alas, we have the stock market. I secretly wish for global implode of the financial market, so the whole financial world would need to resurrect in a 'correct' way. Yes, I have a dream.
  • Reply 44 of 85
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why is Google thought to be worth $367 billion? What products do they sell (please don’t tell me I’m the product; we’ve been through all that)...

I was going to say they have around seven billion products to sell, but...

• Reply 45 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    See? Now it's below $700 billion. Stop posting stupid stories like this one, AI.

BREAKING: Apple market cap falls from $700 billion. Investors questioning Cook. Bad news for iPhone sales.
  • Reply 46 of 85
    Although we all have rosy visions of our favorite fruit company, how does this valuation windfall benefit the rank-and-file of the company, who continue to toil away in a housing market that barely allows most of their employees to afford a studio apartment in San Francisco or an 800-sq-ft house in Cupertino?

This is great for Apple. A big {jerking hand motion} to everyone else.

What if, let's say, Apple took a chunk of their profits and gave the entire company an across-the-board 10% raise?

{That's the sound of investors laughing, as they drive their Veyrons to Dean & Deluca's to get another pound of truffles.}
  • Reply 47 of 85

they sell ads.

• Reply 48 of 85
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    tcasey wrote: »
    they sell ads.
    200 shares purchased this morning, better not drop due to SCRATCHGATE bullshit...long, Apple...my target is $135 by Christmas.
  • Reply 49 of 85
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,286member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tcasey View Post

they sell ads.

Do they sell ads or do they sell ad space? I know they sell email information to companies/people who want to place ads. 

• Reply 50 of 85
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Although we all have rosy visions of our favorite fruit company, how does this valuation windfall benefit the rank-and-file of the company, who continue to toil away in a housing market that barely allows most of their employees to afford a studio apartment in San Francisco or an 800-sq-ft house in Cupertino?

What if, let's say, Apple took a chunk of their profits and gave the entire company an across-the-board 10% raise?

{That's the sound of investors laughing, as they drive their Veyrons to Dean & Deluca's to get another pound of truffles.}

Most Apple corporate employees get stock options or RSUs anyhow. They're so commonplace in Silicon Valley that they've been referred to as "golden handcuffs" for at least twenty years.

Plus, I believe Apple offers an ESPP like most other publicly traded Silicon Valley companies.

A big reason for the recent stock buyback programs is because of share dilution due to employee options from recent years.

• Reply 51 of 85

they sell ad space ''corrected''

• Reply 52 of 85
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    That's just it, they're an ad company with a bunch of hugely unprofitable side projects. The side projects are a desperate attempt to keep themselves relevant.

On a side note, I was reading a fiction book today with Macs in it. I facepalmed when they had a character do a "Control-C" keystroke on a Mac.

Perhaps more context is needed since I just hit ctrl-c on a mac to quit top...
  • Reply 53 of 85
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

You blaming Apple for the ridiculousness of the Bay Area housing prices?
    As another mentioned before, ESPP.

So what's the average pay of non manager types at Apple?
  • Reply 54 of 85
    mpantone wrote: »

We don't.

The only reason why the Breaking tag is here today is because somehow AppleInsider thinks a $700 billion market cap is terribly important.

It's not.

I thought "Breaking" meant it wasn't copied hours later from another website ;)
  • Reply 55 of 85
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    jungmark wrote: »
    You blaming Apple for the ridiculousness of the Bay Area housing prices?
    As another mentioned before, ESPP.

So what's the average pay of non manager types at Apple?
    Cheap very cheap
  • Reply 56 of 85

For the poster who doesn't see what might drive demand of iPhones in the future....well, that's the fun of it. No one knows when the next huge innovation will take place. It could also be something external like the internet.

Just using my old crystal ball, I see all kinds of compelling features to stoke upgrading: huge bump in battery life, screen quality, the killer app that requires the latest cpu, killer design.

Mini pocket computers aren't going away anytime soon. They don't last forever. As long as Apple's ecosystem is sufficiently sticky, they are going to enjoy repeat customers for as far as the eye can see.

I see the biggest potential threat, on the other hand, being economic growth (or lack of) in major countries around the world. Can Apple maintain their margins forever? Who knows. They've exceeded my expectations in that area already. But nothing lasts forever!

• Reply 57 of 85
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member

On a side note, I was reading a fiction book today with Macs in it. I facepalmed when they had a character do a "Control-C" keystroke on a Mac.

Control-C is used on a Mac in Terminal to exit a command or process
  • Reply 58 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

See? Now it's below $700 billion. Stop posting stupid stories like this one, AI.

Nothing necessarily stupid about. The 'all-time high' becomes a future benchmark to beat, that's all.

• Reply 59 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Volcan View Post

Control-C is used on a Mac in Terminal to exit a command or process

They weren't in the terminal, trust me.

• Reply 60 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Nothing necessarily stupid about. The 'all-time high' becomes a future benchmark to beat, that's all.

It's not something that benefits investors, certainly not experienced ones. So the real purpose is to create exciting, click-baity content to attract suckers who pour their money into stocks when they are peaking. No one here gains from this sensationalism.