Apple touts iOS 8 voice messaging in new iPhone 6 ad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I love it. I used to use HeyTell for sending a quick voice message. I wouldn't say it was a good app, but it got the job done. iOS 8 just makes that experience so much better. I can retrieve a text and instead of dictating back something that is poorly understood by Siri I can instead of speak. This is very handy right after a run when I'm still breathing heavily.

The iOS 8 improvement I'm most impressed with is speech-to-text dictation. It has gotten really, really good.

I use it for a French language course. It’s really useful.

• Reply 22 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grblade View Post

Too bad the sound quality of the voice messages sucks. You'd think Apple would use a higher quality sound file since the message gets deleted in 2 minutes anyway. I'm still using Voxer until it improves.

Yes, it should be in lossless flac format, 6 or 7 megabytes a second with the effect of a choir of angels singing.

Signed...

...the phone companies slavering at the thought of the data overages this could generate.

• Reply 23 of 35
    **Finally** a fast, funny _and_ informative Apple commercial. Like the old days.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    What a amazing new feature. I guess Apple forgot that many other platforms have been doing just that for over 4 years. These ads are horrible and pointless.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    lkrupp wrote: »
    grblade wrote: »
    Too bad the sound quality of the voice messages sucks. You'd think Apple would use a higher quality sound file since the message gets deleted in 2 minutes anyway. I'm still using Voxer until it improves.

The voice quality is just fine. And you should be banned for spamming. Please go jump off a bridge somewhere, hopefully a high one.

I don't know what the problem is between you two but [@]grblade[/@] joined in 2008 and has 71 posts.

If 71 posts in roughly 6 years is spamming and worthy of a ban, then you would be mighty busy modding this forum.

Also telling people to kill themselves is uncool.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

What a amazing new feature. I guess Apple forgot that many other platforms have been doing just that for over 4 years. These ads are horrible and pointless.

Interesting how Apple just seems to chug along with no innovation, horrible marketing, obsolete products, terrible ads, the list goes on. What universe do you live in again? Or is it just that Apple customers are so stupid they don’t know any better?

• Reply 27 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

Interesting how Apple just seems to chug along with no innovation, horrible marketing, obsolete products, terrible ads, the list goes on. What universe do you live in again? Or is it just that Apple customers are so stupid they don’t know any better?

The test would be to see what percentage of those other platform-users actually use the feature,

as opposed to the percentage of Apple users who will find a use for it.

That will tell us something about both the quality and effectiveness of the ads, as well as demonstrating

whether Apple has again waited until it had a feature "right" when they added it.

Sometimes Apple does things first, just as often they simply do them better.

• Reply 28 of 35
    lkrupp wrote: »

I think right now they are suffering the blackberry effect. Remember when Blackberry was able to release anything and everyone would buy it just because it's blackberry. I think apple are at that stage now where they dont care because whatever release everyone will buy.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    I'm surprised that the article explains how to use this feature using the keyboard but that it doesn't point out that the feature doesn't actually require any key presses at all! It's as easy to use as simply lifting the phone to your ear! To send a voice message while in the conversation window, simply lift the phone to your ear, wait half a second for the beep - speak your message - and then remove the phone from your cheek. It's automatically sent - no button presses required. If you receive a voice message - it's the same thing - just lift the phone to your ear and the message automatically plays! (It's probably still illegal to do this while driving in many jurisdictions - but it's a LOT safer than actually texting.)
  • Reply 30 of 35
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This is a pretty small feature, did it warrant a commercial, especially when other message clients have had this for a while now, I can even send video messages.
  • Reply 31 of 35

Have you checked out Duolingo? If not, it works on the same concept of Rosetta Stone but it's Free Get, fast, effecient, and idealized for iPhone, iPad, Android and a modern desktop web browser. The progress you make on one app will get saved so you can access it from any other of its portals. I'm very impressed all around.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Have you checked out Duolingo? If not, it works on the same concept of Rosetta Stone but it's Free Get, fast, effecient, and idealized for iPhone, iPad, Android and a modern desktop web browser. The progress you make on one app will get saved so you can access it from any other of its portals. I'm very impressed all around.

That's precisely what I use! ???? I used to use my iPhone, but It’s even better on the iPad. Great programme. Once I've finished this course, I’ll move onto Italian.

• Reply 33 of 35
    There are easier and far more superrior apps there for voice communication. Apps that work for you. Like Lalalama. Lalalama allows you to record long duration recordings with high quality audio. With unlimited participants in a group. A yes!... Two more things... It's Hands Free. And Mobile multi-tasking.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    There are easier and far more superrior apps there for voice communication. Apps that work for you. Like Lalalama. Lalalama allows you to record long duration recordings with high quality audio. With unlimited participants in a group. A yes!... Two more things... It's Hands Free. And Mobile multi-tasking.
  • Reply 35 of 35

WARNING! Both me and my boss have inadvertently sent 'voice messages' as texts without realising it! 

A colleague called in sick yesterday . My boss answered, spoke and then ended the call. He then launched into a fit about the excessive amount of time she's had off from work recently... which his iPhone 6 Plus then recorded about 10 secs of and sent to her number as a text!

She received the 'message' ... my boss was mortified ... she said she couldn't hear it properly ... but she heard enough to know he was talking about her!

I thought it was a one off but it happened to me tonight too. Ended a call to a friend, then chatted to my mate who was driving the car. My iPhone 6 Plus then sent a voice message of the first bit of our conversation.

We tried to replicate the event... but can't. You need voice memo enabled and then have to send as text and add contact - that's no easy feat! If you use the microphone function in Text app, it converts to text ... not a voice message. Really weird and very worrying. 

My advice. Make sure your iPhone is definitely NOT in phone/text mode after you finish a call. You never know what might be recorded and passed on to the very person you don't want it to!