As Apple still struggles to meet iPhone 6 demand, Canaccord raises price target to $135

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Funny, I thought I wanted the Silver/white one after seeing it online (I've always had black).  But at the store I decided on the black/space gray.  The silver/white is also really hard to find.  In PA, it's not in stock in Philly, King of Prussia, or Lancaster.  I found one in Newark, DE.  Also paid no sales tax! :) 

I don't know where you guys live, but here in Bay Area, 6 and 6+ area available in all Apple stores, all versions except 128 GB. I can just walk in any Apple store now to get a space greay, silver 6+ 64GB. For 16GB, it's all over the place. If you want Sprint or Verizon versions, it's been available every day since last month.

• Reply 22 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

People in the biz will tell you that the tech industry is not for the faint of heart. That it is volatile, and un-understandable.

I don't think investors who have dealt with different industries get the tech industry (not that I do BTW). So I suspect that is why you will get such a disparity in predictions. They're throwing darts, in the dark, at a board that is moving and may or may not be there. 

So you get a lot of the 'broken clock is right twice a day' phenomenon, but just because Deutche Bank or Pac Crest get it right once doesn't mean they understood why they were right. 

I guess my point is- it's really hard to find someone who understands the tech industry enough to make these kind of predictions. Add to that some subconscious emotional investment in companies like Apple and things really get skewed. 

My view is that the tech segment changes so much that what makes a good company is one that can roll with or even create these changes. Being willing to embrace the new stuff when it's viable and cut off the old stuff when it's not. So far I trust Apple to do this, and you can see what happens to the companies that don't. 

I'm no expert BTW. Which is probably obvious. But the 'experts' out there aren't either.

Even if you do understand it, doesn't mean you're making right decisions anyway. The future of Apple depends on Macro influences and what other competitors do. And, past profit are never a garantee of future ones.

So, tech investing is hard, because the tech landscape is a delicate one.

The key to long term survival of a tech firm is entrenchment.

- Google in data search/manipulation/retrieval as a gateway to large scale targeted advertising

- IBM in the consulting/enterprise/Big data processing

- Apple's ecosystem and tight system integration

Increasing barriers to entry is the main thrust of upper management in those companies

So, trust in the C level team's decision is paramount to the future of Apple, Google, IBM...

And contrary to bank CEO's Big tech firm CEOs truly earn every penny they get.

• Reply 23 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

My own personal opinion is that the constant drumbeat of negativity about Apple’s business and future is having an effect. The downside pundits are always saying it’s a house made out of cards that will collapse ‘any day now.’ They’ve been saying it for over a decade and that makes some investors skittish, with their finger poised over the SELL button waiting for an excuse to push it. Human beings act for two reasons, greed and fear.

• Reply 24 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    [quote]As Apple still struggles to meet iPhone 6 demand, Canaccord raises price target to $135[/quote]

I think Canaccord is being ridiculous: the iPhone 6 is way more valuable than $135 ¡
  • Reply 25 of 41
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

I'm REALLY hoping for this. The optical image stabilization in the 6+ is what I wanted but I didn't want that big of a phone.

When you think about it, cameras still have a long way to go: http://petapixel.com/2014/11/24/cnn-cameraman-pits-the-iphone-6-up-against-his-standard-issue-broadcast-camera

I don't know how long it will take to get to broadcast (and beyond) quality but I'm excited to see. The thing I can't wrap my head around is whether or not smartphones will truly hit a wall for improvements because so much of it comes down to the lens... And on phone they're so tiny!

The issue is not just lens, its distance between lense and the sensor, which enables larger sensors. There is no real solution to that unless you make the phone thicker somehow (retractable lense?). Increasing the length of the optical path could in theory do it to (mirrors?) but there would undoubtably be losses in luminosity/color which would make the point moot.

• Reply 26 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sdw2001 wrote: »
    the entry level phone is a joke.  16GB?  That's half of my iPhone 5.  Apple is really trying to pull a fast one there.  
    Gotta raise those ASPs somehow. ;)
  • Reply 27 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,017member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I don't know where you guys live, but here in Bay Area, 6 and 6+ area available in all Apple stores, all versions except 128 GB. I can just walk in any Apple store now to get a space greay, silver 6+ 64GB. For 16GB, it's all over the place. If you want Sprint or Verizon versions, it's been available every day since last month.

I'm in Southeast Pennsylvania.  The ATT version is very hard to come by in all but 16GB configurations.  

• Reply 28 of 41
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,017member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Gotta raise those ASPs somehow. image

Indeed.  

• Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Just got my 6 (64 GB) yesterday from an Apple store in DE.  I was trading my locked ATT iPhone 5 32GB.  I was going to order online, but you can't use the Apple gift card credit towards the purchase that way.  Got $180 from Apple vs. $115 from another trade-in site.  

Higher capacity phones are indeed an issue.  I couldn't find the 64GB iPhone 6 in any local Apple store according to online stock checkers.  The 6 seems more popular than the plus does at the moment.  

Also, the entry level phone is a joke.  16GB?  That's half of my iPhone 5.  Apple is really trying to pull a fast one there.  

Yes, the 16GB was a real bean-counter move. I think Jobs would have made it 32GB. It looks so scrimping and scrawling.

• Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yes, the 16GB was a real bean-counter move. I think Jobs would have made it 32GB. It looks so scrimping and scrawling.

OK I'll take the bait:

You're wrong for the following reason:  There are MILLIONS:  MMIILLIIOONNSS, of people, that load almost no apps, and only use the phone for basic purposes.

My mother-in-law LOVEs her iPhone 5, and didn't know to connect to her own home WiFi, and was approaching her monthly 2GB limit.  I attached to her home WiFi and now she's good.

She's also never loaded an app, and all her apps, are actually Icons of webpages that she likes (*I* didn't even know you could do that).

She has the most basic imaginable use of the iPhone, and LLLOOOVVVEEESSS it.

There are ARMY's of these people.

There's nothing wrong with the 16GB phone.  32GB->64GB is the natural move, and covers the "should've done 32GB". 

64GB for the price of 32GB is the "gift" you're asking for.

• Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

Quote:

OK I'll take the bait:

You're wrong for the following reason:  There are MILLIONS:  MMIILLIIOONNSS, of people, that load almost no apps, and only use the phone for basic purposes.

My mother-in-law LOVEs her iPhone 5, and didn't know to connect to her own home WiFi, and was approaching her monthly 2GB limit.  I attached to her home WiFi and now she's good.

She's also never loaded an app, and all her apps, are actually Icons of webpages that she likes (*I* didn't even know you could do that).

There's nothing wrong with the 16GB phone.  32GB->64GB is the natural move, and covers the "should've done 32GB". 

The 8GB iPhone 5c is the iPhone Apple have made for your mother-in-law and people like her. 

• Reply 32 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    aelegg wrote: »
    OK I'll take the bait:

Then why bother buying a smartphone at all?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by aelegg View Post

OK I'll take the bait:

Then why bother buying a smartphone at all?

Perhaps you didn't read his post? You may want to, before replying.

• Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:

The 8GB iPhone 5c is the iPhone Apple have made for your mother-in-law and people like her. 

That's a cheap shot.

• Reply 35 of 41
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That's a cheap shot.

Yeah. Maybe Anant likes his iPhone 5C mother in law!

• Reply 36 of 41
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has still not caught up with demand for the larger-capacity 64- and 128-gigabyte models...

...With continued demand for more storage...

...He also believes consumer preferences for higher-capacity, more expensive iPhone models...

Are people not using Cloud services?

• Reply 37 of 41
    Perhaps you didn't read his post? You may want to, before replying.

I did read his post, and it sounds like BS. It's not easy to go over 2 GBs in a month just by visiting 'webpages'. I'm a heavy user and my cycle is up in a few days, and I'm only at 756 MB of data usage on my browser, and I hardly ever connect to wifi.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I did read his post, and it sounds like BS. It's not easy to go over 2 GBs in a month just by visiting 'webpages'. I'm a heavy user and my cycle is up in a few days, and I'm only at 756 MB of data usage on my browser, and I hardly ever connect to wifi.

She said she got notices about 80% data use in a month, a couple of times.  I don't know if she browses for hours or not.

Now that she's on her own home WiFi, it'll never happen again.

The usual point on forums of enthusiasts like this is that 16GB is unthinkable for all but basic users.

But there are 10s of millions of them.  It's a real market.

• Reply 39 of 41
    aelegg wrote: »
    She said she got notices about 80% data use in a month, a couple of times.  I don't know if she browses for hours or not.

Now that she's on her own home WiFi, it'll never happen again.

The usual point on forums of enthusiasts like this is that 16GB is unthinkable for all but basic users.

But there are 10s of millions of them.  It's a real market.

I beg to differ. That market is shrinking. On a recent shopping trip to get my son a 32 GB iPad I only saw the 16 GB model available. People aren't buying that model, and if they do only do so because it's the only one that they could find.
  • Reply 40 of 41

It has been more than a few months of silence on Apple's part regarding its iPod Touch line-up, with no word on a new release at recent keynote events. and what it seems like their profitable analysis shows that after may 2014 their value declined

http://www.bidnessetc.com/30473-is-apple-inc-aapl-likely-to-scrap-the-ipod-touch-as-apple-watch-release-nea/