Apple issues second OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite beta with Wi-Fi fixes

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I really like Yosemite, it's very attractive and quick but I'm beginning to really dislike the resolution of my MacBook Air though. OSX looks absolutely incredible on my Surface Pro, amazingly good. So much so it actually bothers me to look at a my Air. I want a Retina version now, not later, I'm really starting to consider other machines as my dedicated OSX laptop for the first time. I want an Air but I think I'm just goining to get a Lenovo X1, Helix 2 or X240, install OSX and call it day. I purchased a Mac Pro today, that's what got me all hyped up about the MacBook Air. I bought the base model, than the 64GB memory and Intel Xeon 14 core CPU separately, I'm also getting a ThunderPort External expansion case and a Nvidia K20 Tesla card. I kept the video cards and decided to put the money into the Tesla instead, something I would actually use more and really wanted. OSX can't link the two graphic cards together anyway so it would have been a waste if I went for the best. So excited, never spent so much money on a CPU in my entire life, still cheaper than buying the 12 core from Apple though.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    relic wrote: »
    I really like Yosemite, it's very attractive and quick but I'm beginning to really dislike the resolution of my MacBook Air though. OSX looks absolutely incredible on my Surface Pro, amazingly good. So much so it actually bothers me to look at a my Air. I want a Retina version now, not later, I'm really starting to consider other machines as my dedicated OSX laptop for the first time. I want an Air but I think I'm just goining to get a Lenovo X1, Helix 2 or X240, install OSX and call it day. I purchased a Mac Pro today, that's what got me all hyped up about the MacBook Air. I bought the base model, than the 64GB memory and Intel Xeon 14 core CPU separately, I'm also getting a ThunderPort External expansion case and a Nvidia K20 Tesla card. I kept the video cards and decided to put the money into the Tesla instead, something I would actually use more and really wanted. OSX can't link the two graphic cards together anyway so it would have been a waste if I went for the best. So excited, never spent so much money on a CPU in my entire life, still cheaper than buying the 12 core from Apple though.

Wow! A Mac Pro! Hope you enjoy it!

Isn't a Retina MacBook Air rumoured for next year?
  • Reply 43 of 56

I know, so cool, I bought the base version except for the D500 upgrade which I just changed, I got to thinking which is never a good idea as it always costs me more, anyway I than went on Amazon and bought the Xeon E5-2697 14 Core and 64Gb of ECC RAM. It will be the fastest computer I have ever owned, not to mention the fastest Mac Pro in the world. The kicker, it cost less than if I bought the 12 Core and 64 GB from Apple. So much so that it paid for half of the K20 Tesla. Tip, if you buy a Mac Pro from Apple, get Tue base model and than buy everything else separately, will save you a bundle. Super excited and very happy about his, I'm sure Apple will be upgrading to the 14 Core in their next revision, why wait though. I wanted a dual CPU system but the 14 Core CPU is obscenly fast, I mean crazy super fast. Aaaaaaahhhhh so excited, I need a kiss.

I also bought 3 more Jetson K1 dev boards, gong to stack them and finish my cluster and a Lenovo Helix 2 like my husband just bought. I also need to find another monitor, any suggestions. Yea,today I went a little crazy with the Visa card but I'm home baby, home, home at last. We also stopped by the Apple store on the way home, I bought both my kids an iPhone 6 Plus, surprise and I got a huawei Ascend Mate 7, Yeah, I was, is in a a good mood. In fact I'm thinking of doing a contest here. Since you guys have been so instrumental in my recovery I would like to give back. What do you think of giving away an iPhone 6 Plus to the person who writes the nicest post as to why they deserve one. It doesn't have to be an iPhone either, a Mac Mini, an iPad, what do you think Benji? Can you help create a good question and prize, I'm serious too.
  • Reply 44 of 56

I know, so cool, I bought the base version except for the D500 upgrade which I just changed, I got to thinking which is never a good idea as it always costs me more, anyway I than went on Amazon and bought the Xeon E5-2697 14 Core and 64Gb of ECC RAM. It will be the fastest computer I have ever owned, not to mention the fastest Mac Pro in the world. The kicker, it cost less than if I bought the 12 Core and 64 GB from Apple. So much so that it paid for half of the K20 Tesla. Tip, if you buy a Mac Pro from Apple, get Tue base model and than buy everything else separately, will save you a bundle. Super excited and very happy about his, I'm sure Apple will be upgrading to the 14 Core in their next revision, why wait though. I wanted a dual CPU system but the 14 Core CPU is obscenly fast, I mean crazy super fast. Aaaaaaahhhhh so excited, I need a kiss.

I also bought 3 more Jetson K1 dev boards, gong to stack them and finish my cluster and a Lenovo Helix 2 like my husband just bought. I also need to find another monitor, any suggestions. Yea,today I went a little crazy with the Visa card but I'm home baby, home, home at last. We also stopped by the Apple store on the way home, I bought both my kids an iPhone 6 Plus, surprise. Yea, I was, is in a a good mood.

I'm so pleased to hear you're released, at least for a while!

Lucky critters who are about to receive 6 Pluses; may they be truly thankful.

I'm slightly surprised that Apple don't offer 128GB, though 64GB sounds enough for an application or two running at the same time.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    I'm so pleased to hear you're released, at least for a while!

Lucky critters who are about to receive 6 Pluses; may they be truly thankful.

I'm slightly surprised that Apple don't offer 128GB, though 64GB sounds enough for an application or two running at the same time.

I went crazy today, I was just so excited about being home that I wanted everyone to have a special treat. Kids are on the coach arguing what is the better Angry Birds version, husband is snoozing pretending to read, the doggy is watching the kids and I'm unboxing my Helix 2 and Huawei Mate 7 (I don't know, I just wanted it), I'm home Benji, I'm home, oh God thank you, thank you, thank you.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

There doesn't appear to be any 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RAM sticks over 16GiB.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    solipsismy wrote: »

Are they commimg soon. Doesn't matter, 64GB was already an indulgence, 192 would just be a complete waste. Have you seen the benchm!arks yet on the Xeon 14 Core, Vrooommm

Could you please read the last sentence in my first post and tell me how you would do it? Writing contest, raffle, what? I want it to he fair.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    solipsismy wrote: »

Are they commimg soon. Doesn't matter, 64GB was already an indulgence, 192 would just be a complete waste. Have you seen the benchm!arks yet on the Xeon 14 Core, Vrooommm

Could you please read the last sentence in my first post and tell me how you would do it? Writing contest, raffle, what? I want it to he fair.

I think you're wild with relief, and I fully understand it, having myself endured a mere two months of hell in hospital.

I would sleep on it. Your joy is thanks enough.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Your right, I'll do just that, though I will defiantly be sending some of you something nice. Having a lot of fun playing with my new toys. The Huawei Mate 7 is incredible, holy crap is this a good phone. After seeing this you would have to be a complete moron to buy a Samsung. I paid 500 CHF for it, almost 300 less than the Note 4 and better in almost every way. This is the Android phone to, get. Kids are having a blast with their new iPhone 6's, gosh they have nice displays, my son has already installed like 20 games on his and my daughter is bragging about hers on Social Networking. I had forgotten just how much crap I've bought over the year since being in the hospital. My office looks like a postal satellite, big Christmas for me. Lot's of stuff for my studio. My desk looks fantastic with the Panasonic embedded into it. I got a desk mat that perfectly fits over it for when I'm not using it. My husband bought a new TV without telling me, a Sony, have no idea how to operate it yet, at least the ChromeBox is connected to it and supports 4K out, looks good actually, not tiny at all. One of my nurses is a young male, which has made my husband uncomfortable, but I promisedchim I wouldnt ask for to many sponge baths. Though I dont think it's going to be a problem as my stole him to play video games with. I'm going to sneak out in a while to go for a drive, it's been a while and I need some fresh air. Than, I'll start in on my office.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    No fix here ... still having WiFi connection issues. Back to the drawing board.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I also bought 3 more Jetson K1 dev boards, gong to stack them and finish my cluster and a Lenovo Helix 2 like my husband just bought. I also need to find another monitor, any suggestions. Yea,today I went a little crazy with the Visa card but I'm home baby, home, home at last. We also stopped by the Apple store on the way home, I bought both my kids an iPhone 6 Plus, surprise and I got a huawei Ascend Mate 7, Yeah, I was, is in a a good mood. In fact I'm thinking of doing a contest here. Since you guys have been so instrumental in my recovery I would like to give back. What do you think of giving away an iPhone 6 Plus to the person who writes the nicest post as to why they deserve one. It doesn't have to be an iPhone either, a Mac Mini, an iPad, what do you think Benji? Can you help create a good question and prize, I'm serious too.

That doesn't sound very real or sane to me...perhaps I am missing the sarcasm tag.

• Reply 52 of 56
    brlawyer wrote: »

That doesn't sound very real or sane to me...perhaps I am missing the sarcasm tag.

Relic has cancer. I’ll take her insanity any day.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    I got my Mac Pro today, first thing I did was yank out the CPU and RAM, a little time consuming but overall a simple endeavor. Vvvrrrrooommm, fastest darn thing I have ever owned. I also installed CentOS, a RedHat clone but is compatible with the Mac hardware, actually a little more so as it can use both graphic cards simultaneously. I have been watching the temperatures closely do to the Xeon 14 core, however since it's 10 Watts lower than the 12 Core it shouldn't be a problem, a 14 Core Xeon is just incredible, especially when I only paid 2200 CHF for it, Amazon has it listed for 2500 USD. For those interested in getting a 12 core Mac Pro, definitely just buy the entry model and purchase the CPU and memory separately, you'll save a bundle by doing do it this way, save the original CPU though in case you have to send it in for repairs. I got a 14 core and still managed to save almost 1800 bucks. Which I'm going to take and use to buy a good external ThunderPort drive to handle my also newly acquired Nvidia K20, I got it used from eBay, no since paying full price for such things. I really tossed and turned about not going with the full blown D700's. OSX can't really take full advantage of the internal cards anyway yet but CentOS has no problem handling both cards perfectly. Which is why it was the first thing I installed and the benefits of linking both cards together is profoundly apparent, a graphical boost of almost 65% in a Blender rendering tests. The only game that I have for both OSX and Linux is Doom 3, in OSX, 4K I got 74 FPS, CentOS 145, easily doubling the frame rates, Apple needs to focus more attention on getting CrossFire to work with OSX, there is just no excuse for this anymore, if Linux, can do it so should OSX. However that's just me nit-picking, it was always my intention to use CentOS as my workstation/development OS anyway as it's better geared to handle the K20 and internal graphic cards. OSX will be my desktop OS, perfect combo for such a great machine. Anybody have any comments as to which external ThunderPort I should be getting?

I am so happy being home, everyone slept in my bed last night including the dog, we fell asleep watching Guardians of The Galaxy. The mutt gave the very definition of dog pile a go, laying across three of us, didn't even bother nudging out a place like she normally does, just plopped down.
  • Reply 54 of 56

I got my Mac Pro today, first thing I did was yank out the CPU… I also installed CentOS, a RedHat clone… I’m going to take and use to buy a good external ThunderPort drive to handle my also newly acquired Nvidia K20…

And I’m sitting here thinking how much of a bastardization I’m making my Mac Pro by buying a GTX 970 for it.

• Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:

I got my Mac Pro today, first thing I did was yank out the CPU and RAM, a little time consuming but overall a simple endeavor. Vvvrrrrooommm, fastest darn thing I have ever owned. I also installed CentOS, a RedHat clone but is compatible with the Mac hardware, actually a little more so as it can use both graphic cards simultaneously. I have been watching the temperatures closely do to the Xeon 14 core, however since it's 10 Watts lower than the 12 Core it shouldn't be a problem, a 14 Core Xeon is just incredible, especially when I only paid 2200 CHF for it, Amazon has it listed for 2500 USD. For those interested in getting a 12 core Mac Pro, definitely just buy the entry model and purchase the CPU and memory separately, you'll save a bundle by doing do it this way, save the original CPU though in case you have to send it in for repairs. I got a 14 core and still managed to save almost 1800 bucks. Which I'm going to take and use to buy a good external ThunderPort drive to handle my also newly acquired Nvidia K20, I got it used from eBay, no since paying full price for such things. I really tossed and turned about not going with the full blown D700's. OSX can't really take full advantage of the internal cards anyway yet but CentOS has no problem handling both cards perfectly. Which is why it was the first thing I installed and the benefits of linking both cards together is profoundly apparent, a graphical boost of almost 65% in a Blender rendering tests. The only game that I have for both OSX and Linux is Doom 3, in OSX, 4K I got 74 FPS, CentOS 145, easily doubling the frame rates, Apple needs to focus more attention on getting CrossFire to work with OSX, there is just no excuse for this anymore, if Linux, can do it so should OSX. However that's just me nit-picking, it was always my intention to use CentOS as my workstation/development OS anyway as it's better geared to handle the K20 and internal graphic cards. OSX will be my desktop OS, perfect combo for such a great machine. Anybody have any comments as to which external ThunderPort I should be getting?

I am so happy being home, everyone slept in my bed last night including the dog, we fell asleep watching Guardians of The Galaxy. The mutt gave the very definition of dog pile a go, laying across three of us, didn't even bother nudging out a place like she normally does, just plopped down.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Mac Pro! And home!

• Reply 56 of 56
    ...but I'm home baby, home, home at last...

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y !! And _before_ Christmas! Oh Relic, I'm sure you're filled with joy, including your husband and children. This really is good to read as I was wondering about your health ( I haven't been reading this site much as of late) so I searched for your latest posts. God, am I happy for you. I think it's now safe to say that I have lost a dear friend of mine, a few actually, due to cancer. But since you're home now, I take it you have endured all 5 (?) operations and are now slowly gaining weight? Geez, I could go on and on, but I'll summerize: all the best to you Relic, and your loved ones. May you have the most intense Christmas, together with your family.